Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

jedimasterkyle

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Sep 27, 2014
Idaho
Apologies if this has been asked before but I'm curious to know if anyone has attempted/succeeded in turning their iPhone into an external monitor for their Camera?

I was taking some photos yesterday morning of the full moon right outside my front door and it suddenly dawned on me that putting my Canon Rebel T7 on a tripod, having a remote shutter AND an external monitor would be 1000 times easier than trying to hold still in the traditional sense. The photos I took were fine...not great...but having the camera remain still and having the ability to clearly see the subject on an external monitor would improve the quality of those moon shots dramatically.

Searching Amazon, there are a million results for external monitors for all different types of cameras but I was hoping that I could turn my iPhone into an external monitor and attach it directly to my DSLR instead. Looking around on YouTube, I didn't see anything in terms of tutorials but it's also possible that I wasn't looking with the right search terms either.

coolguy4747

macrumors regular
Jun 26, 2010
This capture device is the only thing I can recall seeing that would do what you want it to, but even then the app is not really designed for that sort of use case so it might still leave you wanting. With USB-C iPads allowing video/webcam input now, hopefully it is only a matter of time until this is opened up for iPhone.

tizeye

macrumors 68040
Jul 17, 2013
Orlando, FL
Uncertain if Canon has remote software, but on my Sony I use their free app all the time to take pole photography where the camera is 16 or so feet above my head, unteathered, using camera wifi to link to iPhone and installed app to view, make adjustments to aperture, shutter speed and focus - but not zoom which must be pre-set, and take the photo. Also, since easy to set up, use for special situations like group shots including myself, macro with remote shutter, etc. If Canon has it, that would be the way to go with incidental use.

Before I switched from Nikon to Sony, I used Camranger, which at the time was dedicated to Canon and Nikon models. I think at the time, Sony wouldn't release programming to adapt the camera, but I see now they also support Sony and Fuji. At the time, I even hooked the Nikon up to an iPad for an even larger monitor and shot video. I see now, Camranger supports Sony and Fuji, but at $350 a little steep for non-professional incidental use. Somewhere I heard that Camranger has lower priced competition, but would be hard to beat Canon for free if Canon has their app.

Reactions: harshar and mollyc

mollyc

macrumors 604
Aug 18, 2016
Have you looked at the Canon app? I'm not a Canon user and wasn't able to ascertain whether your camera model is compatible, but I'd look there. 🙂

jedimasterkyle

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Sep 27, 2014
Idaho
This capture device is the only thing I can recall seeing that would do what you want it to, but even then the app is not really designed for that sort of use case so it might still leave you wanting. With USB-C iPads allowing video/webcam input now, hopefully it is only a matter of time until this is opened up for iPhone.
Actually, that might do the trick! Looking at reviews of that on Youtube, that is basically what I'm looking for. Just a secondary display for my DSLR that I can swivel and pivot while doing still photography or videography without having to crouch down and look at the primary camera display. Thanks for the tip!
Have you looked at the Canon app? I'm not a Canon user and wasn't able to ascertain whether your camera model is compatible, but I'd look there. 🙂
I have used the Canon app and it's...fine. The wireless latency is horrible though so it's' hard to use consistently. In this day and age of everything going wireless, I prefer wires in this case.

Reactions: coolguy4747

bladerunner88

macrumors 6502
Apr 28, 2009
Off World
Hey Jedi,

Camranger should do the Trick! I've used it on Movie Sets if i need to Operate my Camera remotely and use Live image on the iPad to control the Camera. The other option witch is software based is an App. called Cascable which if it supports your Camera Body will do exactly what your seeking!

r.harris1

macrumors 68020
Feb 20, 2012
Denver, Colorado, USA
Cascable was mentioned above and I do use it for a couple of bodies both tethered over ethernet and wireless. Works great - not sure if it supports your gear though so you'd have to check.

bladerunner88

macrumors 6502
Apr 28, 2009
Off World
Cascable was mentioned above and I do use it for a couple of bodies both tethered over ethernet and wireless. Works great - not sure if it supports your gear though so you'd have to check.
My only issue with Cascable is RF on a Set sometimes the signal between Camera and iPad gets "lost" with all the competing frequencies...

r.harris1

macrumors 68020
Feb 20, 2012
Denver, Colorado, USA
My only issue with Cascable is RF on a Set sometimes the signal between Camera and iPad gets "lost" with all the competing frequencies...
Yep, mostly cabled for me over ethernet via usb-c adapter, usually stood out in some landscape or bit of architecture. No set work :). If WiFi, connected to the camera’s own WiFi in my case.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.