Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

chrisgunton

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 15, 2017
Margate, UK
I've just upgraded to a significantly newer car (VW T-ROC) with quite a bit of tech. One of the things it can do is connect via wifi to a phone hotspot to pull down calendar events, parking and traffic information.

I've found that once configured, it only connects to the phone if I briefly open the Personal Hotspot settings on my iPhone 11 (iOS13).

If I don't do that it can't see the hotspot at all.

From what I have read it sounds like this is because the iPhone stops transmitting the SSID after a period of inactivity - so the car can't see it.

Is there a workaround for this, or a setting I'm missing?

mrochester

macrumors 601
Feb 8, 2009
I've just upgraded to a significantly newer car (VW T-ROC) with quite a bit of tech. One of the things it can do is connect via wifi to a phone hotspot to pull down calendar events, parking and traffic information.

I've found that once configured, it only connects to the phone if I briefly open the Personal Hotspot settings on my iPhone 11 (iOS13).

If I don't do that it can't see the hotspot at all.

From what I have read it sounds like this is because the iPhone stops transmitting the SSID after a period of inactivity - so the car can't see it.

Is there a workaround for this, or a setting I'm missing?

I don’t think there’s a workaround or a setting you are missing, this is just how it works. I believe the only devices that can keep an iPhone hotspot alive are other iOS or Mac devices (via the persistent hotspot feature).

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.