Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

rebecca77

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 30, 2007
Cambridge, MA and London, UK
I spend about six months per year in the US and six in the UK. Trying to figure out how to deal with this contract? If I got an att contract in the US, anyone know how/if I could get data when I'm in the UK -- does cingular have any good roaming data options? How about calling the UK from the US or the US from the UK? Any suggestions for strategies?

I currently have no contract in either country and just switch between two pay as you go sim cards. I do more texting than talking and when I make long international calls, I use skype or a landline instead (particularly when in the UK).

Thoughts? Thanks.

rayward

macrumors 68000
Mar 13, 2007
Houston, TX
I haven't travelled abroad with my iPhone yet, but I was an existing AT&T (Cingular) customer. I have been to Central/South America, Europe and the UK with my regular phone, and got good service everywhere.

The roaming charges get up there pretty quickly, but AT&T does offer a plan which gives you cheaper international rates for a small monthly fee. Given that London hotel rooms charge you about $10/minute for direct-dialing the US, the roaming is actually a bit of a steal. You can cut down on the roaming and international calling costs by texting, which works fine.

Don't know how the 'net and e-mail functions will perform in countries where EDGE isn't prevalent or as tweaked as AT&T's seems to be now.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.