Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

yg17

macrumors Pentium
Original poster
Aug 1, 2004
St. Louis, MO
I'm having a dillema. I absolutley have to use Java 1.5 for my programming class. I don't have a choice as we use 1.5 only things. Yet, even though I installed 1.5 from Apple, everything in the terminal is still 1.4. How do I properly switch to 1.5? Thanks

Whyren

macrumors 6502a
yg17 said:
I'm having a dillema. I absolutley have to use Java 1.5 for my programming class. I don't have a choice as we use 1.5 only things. Yet, even though I installed 1.5 from Apple, everything in the terminal is still 1.4. How do I properly switch to 1.5? Thanks

Just ran into this problem last night:

link

Hope this helps.

jsw

Moderator emeritus
Mar 16, 2004
Andover, MA
Code:
cd /usr/bin
sudo mv java java14
sudo ln -s /System/Library/Frameworks/JavaVM.framework/Versions/1.5/Commands/java java

You'll need your admin password when you type the sudo commands. You can name the old like whatever you want (I just chose 'java14').

To undo:

Code:
cd /usr/bin
sudo rm java
sudo ln -s /System/Library/Frameworks/JavaVM.framework/Commands/java java

Should work fine. Enjoy.

jsw

Moderator emeritus
Mar 16, 2004
Andover, MA
Er, um, or do what the link above suggests. I tend to use the command line as I am hesitant to switch the whole OS over to 1.5, but it's probably a better way to go.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.