Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

cephoto

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 11, 2003
I have a 15" PBook now running 10.3.7. I was wondering if I can use the 10.3 OS software that came with it to upgrade my G4 Dual from 10.2.8 to 10.3? Problems?

robbieduncan

Moderator emeritus
Jul 24, 2002
Harrogate
It will probably work but is, of course, illegal. If you want to run a copy of OSX on more than one comptuter you need to buy more than one copy.

cephoto

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 11, 2003
It's really about the ease of the conversion more so than the money. Would the 10.3 upgrade CD be easier and would it leave all my old apps and settings?
Should I wait for Tiger and how long a wait is that now?

robbieduncan

Moderator emeritus
Jul 24, 2002
Harrogate
There is no such thing as a 10.3 upgrade CD (well not true, but at this point in time might as well be). All 10.3 install CDs or DVDs offer the same install options which include "upgrade" and "archive and install" both of which will leave all user accounts and installed applications as was. "archive and install" normally results in a better installation.

MisterMe

macrumors G4
Jul 17, 2002
USA
cephoto said:
I have a 15" PBook now running 10.3.7. I was wondering if I can use the 10.3 OS software that came with it to upgrade my G4 Dual from 10.2.8 to 10.3? Problems?
I assume that you have a System Restore disk and not a standard installation disk. If that is the case, then you cannot install the OS on a different model computer. If you are the lucky few who received a standard installation of MacOS X 10.3, then it should upgrade MacOS X 10.2.8 just fine. There is no such thing as a "laptop OS." There is only MacOS X and MacOS X Server, which is MacOS X with additional tools.

wrldwzrd89

macrumors G5
Jun 6, 2003
Solon, OH
MisterMe said:
I assume that you have a System Restore disk and not a standard installation disk. If that is the case, then you cannot install the OS on a different model computer. If you are the lucky few who received a standard installation of MacOS X 10.3, then it should upgrade MacOS X 10.2.8 just fine. There is no such thing as a "laptop OS." There is only MacOS X and MacOS X Server, which is MacOS X with additional tools.
The reason some Mac users think that there's a laptop and desktop version of Mac OS X is that its configuration options differ considerably between laptops and desktops. In reality, a standard Mac OS X installer contains configuration tools for both types of machines, and it adapts itself to the type of machine you have.

cephoto

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 11, 2003
I do have the Restore Disk. I did try the install with the disk I have and quit right at the point where disk was chosen for the install and all I had to do was click ok and the Upgrade would begin. All seemed like a normal install up to that point.
Again, does this "Upgrade" leave all OS 10 apps I have installed and save all settings, printers, etc.?
What happens to OS 9 and what should I back up before beginning?

wrldwzrd89

macrumors G5
Jun 6, 2003
Solon, OH
cephoto said:
I do have the Restore Disk. I did try the install with the disk I have and quit right at the point where disk was chosen for the install and all I had to do was click ok and the Upgrade would begin. All seemed like a normal install up to that point.
Again, does this "Upgrade" leave all OS 10 apps I have installed and save all settings, printers, etc.?
What happens to OS 9 and what should I back up before beginning?
Any third-party Mac OS X applications are unchanged. Apple Mac OS X applications are updated to the new version in the installer. Mac OS 9 is unaffected. If the format of settings files has changed, they are updated, preserving your existing settings as much as possible. Printers will be retained, and will have their drivers updated.

cephoto

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 11, 2003
I upgraded from 10.2.8 to 10.3 and then ran Software Update to 10.3.7. I have a problem. Every time I restart, I get an error window-
"the application Transport Monitor could not be launched because of a shared library error-
"8<Transport Monitor><Transport Monitor><Hot SyncLib.PPC><>"
I had this error before I updated to 10.3.7.
any sugestions?

wrldwzrd89

macrumors G5
Jun 6, 2003
Solon, OH
cephoto said:
I upgraded from 10.2.8 to 10.3 and then ran Software Update to 10.3.7. I have a problem. Every time I restart, I get an error window-
"the application Transport Monitor could not be launched because of a shared library error-
any sugestions?
Go download the newest Palm Desktop software and install it. That should get the problem fixed.

parrothead

macrumors 6502a
Sep 24, 2003
Edmonds, WA
cephoto said:
any sugestions?

I suggest that you stop talking about what you are doing, as it is illegal and could get you into trouble.

Duff-Man

Contributor
Dec 26, 2002
Albuquerque, NM
jayscheuerle said:
As long as he's only using one computer at a time, this should be fair use...
Duff-Man says....no, it is not. Read the OS X license agreement - it is a *single computer* not single user license. This topic comes up here at least once a week.....oh yeah!

cephoto

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 11, 2003
I'll let some of you guys get some sleep tonight and uninstall 10.3. Anyone that actually reads license agreements probably needs some sleep. Just for the excitement.
I'd hate to take advantage of Apple after spending in the neighborhood of $25,000-$30,000 on their products in the last decade or so.

Duff-Man

Contributor
Dec 26, 2002
Albuquerque, NM
cephoto said:
I'd hate to take advantage of Apple after spending in the neighborhood of $25,000-$30,000 on their products in the last decade or so.
Duff-Man says....ah yes, the old "I've spent $$$ on Apple stuff so that entitles me to write my own license agreements" excuse. :rolleyes: Sorry, doesn't wash with me....it is a lame excuse. I've spent at least that on Apple equipment too and I abide by the agreements. If you can afford to spend that much on hardware you can afford to spend an extra licensed copy of the operating system and other software.....oh yeah!

Bear

macrumors G3
Jul 23, 2002
Sol III - Terra
Duff-Man said:
Duff-Man says....ah yes, the old "I've spent $$$ on Apple stuff so that entitles me to write my own license agreements" excuse. :rolleyes: Sorry, doesn't wash with me....it is a lame excuse. I've spent at least that on Apple equipment too and I abide by the agreements. If you can afford to spend that much on hardware you can afford to spend an extra licensed copy of the operating system and other software.....oh yeah!
To add to that, when the new versions of iLife and Mac OS X are released if you have 2-5 machines in your home [and are not a business], you can stay legal and save money by buying the family pack license Apple offers.

Remember this is for 2-5 machines owned by the same family living in the same house or apartment. And it is *not* for 5 friends who live at different places to share.

betsbillabong

macrumors regular
Nov 13, 2004
I posted a new topic on something similar, without realizing that this discussion was here. As I've had no response to my topic, here goes:

I bought a copy of panther and the new iLife from a well-known reseller. What they sent me is an iMac install (2 DVDs), but I'm installing on a PowerMac. Is everything kosher with that or could it cause problems? They already sent it late, so I'd really prefer not to have to mail it back to them, wait for a new one, etc.

Thanks,
BB

wrldwzrd89

macrumors G5
Jun 6, 2003
Solon, OH
betsbillabong said:
I posted a new topic on something similar, without realizing that this discussion was here. As I've had no response to my topic, here goes:

I bought a copy of panther and the new iLife from a well-known reseller. What they sent me is an iMac install (2 DVDs), but I'm installing on a PowerMac. Is everything kosher with that or could it cause problems? They already sent it late, so I'd really prefer not to have to mail it back to them, wait for a new one, etc.

Thanks,
BB
Since you bought it legitimately, it SHOULD be OK to install. However, if you have a PowerMac G5, and the installer you got isn't for the iMac G5, do NOT install it - it will not work with your Mac.

betsbillabong

macrumors regular
Nov 13, 2004
Thanks! How can I tell? Or will the installer just not run if it's not right?

On the first DVD it says:

iMac
Software Install
and Restore 1 of 2
copyright 2004
Mac OS version 10.3.2
AHT version 2.0.3
DVD version 1.0
691-4849-A

wrldwzrd89

macrumors G5
Jun 6, 2003
Solon, OH
betsbillabong said:
Thanks! How can I tell? Or will the installer just not run if it's not right?

On the first DVD it says:

iMac
Software Install
and Restore 1 of 2
copyright 2004
Mac OS version 10.3.2
AHT version 2.0.3
DVD version 1.0
691-4849-A
It depends on what PowerMac G5 you have. I'm assuming that you have the Rev. A PowerMac that came with Mac OS X 10.2.7 or 10.2.8, in which case you'll be fine. If you had a Rev. B PowerMac G5 though, Mac OS X 10.3.2 isn't new enough to boot these Macs.

betsbillabong

macrumors regular
Nov 13, 2004
Yes, I believe it is a Rev A. It definitely came with Jaguar, as that's the reason I'm wanting to upgrade...

hob

macrumors 68010
Oct 4, 2003
London, UK
Without realising i was breaking any laws I remember trying to install my powerbook's copy of GarageBand onto an eMac at school to show it to a friend (I had the cd's in my bag for some reason)

It didn't work! It seems to recognise what computer you're using, i guess from the logic board...?

Hob

betsbillabong

macrumors regular
Nov 13, 2004
Hmmm. I tried to run the Hardware Test, and was told that my computer was not supported. This makes me a little nervous.

It's Other World Computing, by the way. I wasn't going to name names but they have been difficult about this whole thing... shipped it a day late but still charged me for overnight service, and now they say I should have noticed on the picture that it was an iMac install disk (to see the pictures you have to scroll way down to the bottom of the page... it looked like just specs so I didn't scroll). I do have a call in to the manager and maybe he'll be able to help me.

Question: OWC claims there's no difference between this install and a retail version. If I had bought a retail version, would it just not have the hardware test on it? If I upgrade to Panther, should my mom just use the hardware test that came with her box?

Aaaargggghhh. The whole point was to do this before Christmas as I'm taking off and this was my only window to help my mom.

imac9556

macrumors 6502a
Jul 12, 2004
Just try installing it, the Apple Hardware Test is not supposed to work on your computer anyways, it was for an iMac. But for the Mac OS 10.3 install, it should work. For example, I own 2 copies of Mac OS 10.3, but I just got a Powerbook and it came with the "newer, updated" version of 10.3. (my older Mac cds were 10.3.0) I was able to use my Powerbook software restore DVD on my iMac w/o any problems.. .I think its legal, since I own 2 copies, one for the iMac and one for the PB. I should work...unless your G5 was one of the newer reversions.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.