Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

janeauburn

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Nov 22, 2015
Anyone experimented with using low power mode all the time? I'm not seeing much if any degradation of performance. Your experience?

janeauburn

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Nov 22, 2015
Low power mode is always activated on my iPhone 13. Like you, I do not see any noticeable degradation in performance at all and I do see an improvement in battery life, as you would expect.

Here is a decent breakdown of what low power mode actually does;

https://www.reddit.com/r/iphone/comments/vlpfcv

Thanks. Here's another breakdown I found:

Also seeing reports on the interweb about low power mode reducing battery life. That sounds odd, but some of these folks seem to believe there's a clear cause -> effect there:

Reactions: Helmsley

Helmsley

macrumors 6502a
Sep 4, 2017
Yorkshire, United Kingdom
Interesting. Personally, I have not seen any negative effects of using low power mode.

I ran my 3.5 year old iPhone 11 constantly in low power mode and battery health was still at 88% when I got rid of it, and I am a heavy user.

Was this down to low power mode or not who knows.

maerz001

macrumors 68020
Nov 2, 2010
Is there a way to have it activated all the time? Cos after charging it switches back to normal mode automatically

arw

macrumors 65816
Aug 31, 2010
Is there a way to have it activated all the time? Cos after charging it switches back to normal mode automatically
Shortcuts.app > Automation > + > Create Personal Automation
Trigger: Charger Is Disconnected > Turn Low Power Mode On
and
Trigger: Charger Is Connected > Turn Low Power Mode Off
Untick Ask Before Running in both cases.

Or, if you want LPM to stay active even during charging, use this trigger:
When Low Power Mode Is Turned Off

edit: I don't recommend the latter (LPM active all the time) as it completely prevents iCloud Photos sync unless you manually force it.

Last edited:
Reactions: Radip and maerz001

StaceyMJ86

macrumors demi-goddess
Sep 22, 2015
Washington, DC
I’ve been using low power mode on my 14 Pro Max and it has made the battery last longer, but I also use the phone heavily and that also comes into play with the battery dying but not as fast as if I didn’t have Low Power Mode on.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.