Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

B2✅

macrumors newbie
Original poster
May 1, 2021
One place I often use my 11” iPad Pro is in a recliner chair. Currently I have a UAG case and it works fine. I am looking at the Magic Keyboard for a few reasons. The concern is with the setup being top heavy that it would fall backwards.

How far back can the Magic Keyboard be tilted before it falls over?

iPad Bro

macrumors 6502
May 2, 2021
It doesn’t really tilt that far back. In my experience, the 11” IPP isn’t too heavy at all and works just fine in a recliner. I’ve actually used the 12.9” IPP with the MK in my recliner too and it can seem too heavy unlike it’s counterpart, but both work extremely well in the lap. I would definitely recommend the MK for you in your use case!

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
The magic keyboard seems to be designed for those using the iPad on a desk. Seeing reviews (when it was initially released) showed a keyboard that really wasn't made for use on your lap. I was debating this, myself but I don't think i'll be spending money on this given its poor performance for lap use

jmgregory1

macrumors 68040
The magic keyboard seems to be designed for those using the iPad on a desk. Seeing reviews (when it was initially released) showed a keyboard that really wasn't made for use on your lap. I was debating this, myself but I don't think i'll be spending money on this given its poor performance for lap use
After a couple of years of using a keyboard folio with my 2018 iPP 12.9”, I just ordered the updated Magic Keyboard to go with the 2021 12.9” iPP that I pre-ordered. Because the keyboard delivered already, I figured I would try it out with my current iPP and it is definitely as good as most people have said.

I can’t believe I waited this long - the keys are really just like typing on my rMBP and the ease with which you can grab the iPP off the MK for traditional tablet use is fantastic. I haven’t been using it off-desk, although I’m typing this sentence on my lap and it works fine. You just need to keep the base of your palm resting on the base of the keyboard, as it is a bit top-heavy if your legs are angled down away from you in a chair. I’m not likely to use it this way much, but it’s certainly not unusable on the lap.

The one thing I haven’t been using on the MK is the trackpad. I’ve been using a Magic Trackpad 2 for more than a year and find it much easier to use than the tiny built in trackpad on the MK. Of course this only works when I’m at my desk and I don’t plan to bring it with me when traveling, so I’ll have to get used to the small trackpad for those times.

shamus99

macrumors regular
Dec 20, 2014
works great in a lap

papbot

macrumors 68020
May 19, 2015
I have both a Magic Keyboard as well as the Smart Keyboard Folio both of which I use with my 2018 12.9 iPad Pro. I had the Smart version first and have used that exclusively on my lap in two ways. One with a flat surface lap desk that has a cushion underpinning, and two with just a pillow under it on my lap. When I first got the Magic keyboard I was concerned that it wouldn’t be stable enough for the pillow method. But that turned out not to be a problem. It is a very stable device. With both keyboards it would depend greatly on your typing style.

Perhaps too much information but both have also been convenient to use on the toilet, minus the pillows. I do recommend checking out a lap desk. I got mine from Amazon and there are a number of inexpensive options. That is as close to using the iPP on a desk as I have come.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.