Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Zaft

macrumors 601
Original poster
Jun 16, 2009
Brooklyn, NY
I just wanted to share my experience. I bought a renewed Galaxy s20 from Amazon to try out for a week. The last time I had android was a droid X….. a while ago…

I was curious how it compares to my iPhone 12PM and IOS.

Off the bat the customization is ridiculous, though I like to keep my homecsreen simple anyway.

I like that I can move apps and widgets ANYWHERE! Cmon apple…I downloaded the same apps and in general they all just seem to look better on IOS, functionally they are same.

Behind the screen fingerprint scanner I enjoyed, really hope Apple brings this soon. Face ID plus fingerprint would be awesome.

In general I came away that both are so damn similar now that you can’t go wrong. Just depends on the ecosystem.

tmmacops

macrumors regular
Jan 15, 2019
I just wanted to share my experience. I bought a renewed Galaxy s20 from Amazon to try out for a week. The last time I had android was a droid X….. a while ago…

I was curious how it compares to my iPhone 12PM and IOS.

Off the bat the customization is ridiculous, though I like to keep my homecsreen simple anyway.

I like that I can move apps and widgets ANYWHERE! Cmon apple…I downloaded the same apps and in general they all just seem to look better on IOS, functionally they are same.

Behind the screen fingerprint scanner I enjoyed, really hope Apple brings this soon. Face ID plus fingerprint would be awesome.

In general I came away that both are so damn similar now that you can’t go wrong. Just depends on the ecosystem.
The last word says it all. Most all devices are similar now, so it boils down to how all your devices interact and work for you.

Reactions: compwiz1202

edubfromktown

macrumors 6502a
Sep 14, 2010
East Coast, USA
I use Apple computers for more efficient workflows rather than the "ecosystem". Also keep one iPad around to auth with Apple if I reinstall macOS and use less than a handful of IOS apps on rare occasions.

Quite happy having switched from iPhones to Android a couple of years ago. OnePlus 8T with A10/11/12 all worked fine- synced my contacts to Google prior to switching from iPhone, disabled iMessage and everything else (other than importing a few ringtones which Apple had already turned into total kludge pain on their own darn platform long ago!) was simple.

Heat_Fan89

macrumors 68030
Feb 23, 2016
Yeah the bottom line is, use what works best for YOU. I have been saying for quite sometime that iOS and Android are both stable operating systems. They each have their strengths and weaknesses. I have yet to buy an iPhone for various reasons but first up is the price, followed by everyone has an iPhone. I like being different but Apple has yet to come up with a call screener like Google.

Reactions: aggie99

compwiz1202

macrumors 604
May 20, 2010
Barring being out of the Apple ecosystem, the only two things I dislike are that Face on Android can still be a little finicky. On top of that it's dumb in some apps where it asks you which you want to use and defaults to finger. If I'm going to tap Face I might as well just touch the power button, which I do like, and it works well. Other weird thing is GPay, but I think that's because I didn't know where NFC was on Z Flip 4. They say it's just below the fold instead of at the top like on iPhone.

ZD_plguy17

macrumors member
Oct 26, 2019
That is my problem too!
Same. Long time iphone user iphone 4, iphone 5 then nexus 6P, pixel 2 XL and switched back getting iphone 11 pro in 2019. Recently got pixel 6a as secondary that I switched back and forth with the sim card.

I have OG Galaxy smartwatch and now when I take iphone with me, I lose connectivity on smartwatch because it can be only paired to either after resetting and it makes sense to keep it paired with Android phone that gives it more function.

Last edited:
Reactions: jamezr

ZD_plguy17

macrumors member
Oct 26, 2019
, disabled iMessage and everything else (other than importing a few ringtones which Apple had already turned into total kludge pain on their own darn platform long ago!) was simple.
I just dissasociate phone number but keep it enabled for my email and still receive or send android messages using BlueBubbles. As much as I want everybody to install Signal, very few people I know do, a little few more use WhatsApp but I don't use it and the rest iMessage/SMS. It's very hard to convince people in the US to get a cross-platfom messaging app.

Reactions: edubfromktown

ian87w

macrumors G3
Feb 22, 2020
Indonesia
Barring being out of the Apple ecosystem, the only two things I dislike are that Face on Android can still be a little finicky. On top of that it's dumb in some apps where it asks you which you want to use and defaults to finger. If I'm going to tap Face I might as well just touch the power button, which I do like, and it works well. Other weird thing is GPay, but I think that's because I didn't know where NFC was on Z Flip 4. They say it's just below the fold instead of at the top like on iPhone.
Face recognition on Android is insecure. It's 2D only and can be easily fooled by a photo. As such, usually it is only available for simple authentications such as unlocking your phone. Secure ones like banking etc sometimes don't support it for obvious reasons.

Sleix

macrumors regular
Apr 21, 2003
Sacramento, CA
Honestly, I abandoned the android ecosystem not because of the software, which on the Pixel was pretty much good for stock, but the hardware which leaves a lot to be desired. No, wait, I take that back. I refuse to wander into non-stock android systems like the ones that LG and Samsung shoved to the public because I had too many hiccups with getting their crap software off my system, as it wasted so much space... I like iOS because it's pretty much good hardware and software without too much bloat on top of it.

compwiz1202

macrumors 604
May 20, 2010
The one thing that is still BS with Android is their wishy washy OS Updates. iOS you know when an update is coming months in advance, and it's coming then unless the world ends. Android is 13 may come to the newer devices by the end of the year

animalx

macrumors 6502
Apr 1, 2013
The one thing that is still BS with Android is their wishy washy OS Updates. iOS you know when an update is coming months in advance, and it's coming then unless the world ends. Android is 13 may come to the newer devices by the end of the year
The update thing really is a non-issue for the most part. Updates on Android don't work the same way they do on iPhone. Everyone gets the security patches throughout the year between the big updates. The big updates nowadays don't tend to bring big changes, like they do on iPhone (when they add old Android features). The bigger updates come in the individual updates the system apps get throughout the year. So you can get refined or new functionality without a system update, unlike iPhone. So the system updates aren't nearly as big of a deal as they are on iPhone.

Face recognition on Android is insecure. It's 2D only and can be easily fooled by a photo.
It cannot be "easily" fooled by a photo. You can show the camera a photo from another phone, and it won't unlock. The same is true with a printed photo. I have tried both. After it doesn't work a couple of times, it will present a message saying it disabled face unlock due to too many unsuccessful attempts. That whole "it can be easily fooled by a photo" is flat out untrue.

Technerd108

macrumors 68030
Oct 24, 2021
I tend to agree that I like both. I have a Galaxy s22 plus that I got for under $300 by trading in a free promotional galaxy s20fe from t mobile.

When the s23 comes out I will probably trade in my current s22. The trade in deals with Samsung are hard to beat. I like the s22 plus for a variety of reasons.

I also have a Apple iPhone 13 pro max. I could have traded it in for the 14 Pro Max but it would have cost almost $450 to do so. So I am going to wait for Black Friday and if I can get a 14 pro max with trade in for under $300 I might do it but I don't see any reason to upgrade. I think I will wait for the 15 as it might have USB c which would be a feature I like. It is frustrating having to search for lighting cables when everything I have uses USB c.

In terms of software both are great. Samsung does a great job with one UI and with 4 OS upgrades and 5 years of security patches it brings support closer to iOS. I do like the cleaner and less bloat with iOS and really hate that Samsung doesn't let you uninstall certain apps I consider bloat.

Animations and transitions are smoother on iOS. But functionally they are almost the same.

I don't like the stainless steel frame on the iPhone as it adds a lot of weight. My S22 plus is much lighter and fits in my hand better. I like the screen and cameras a bit better on the s22 plus. Battery life is where my 13 pro max is king. I can easily get 2 days use without charging while my s22 plus I can get a day and half and if I use it lightly 2 days. I could get 3 days out of my iPhone with medium use.

I get better reception on the s22 plus and I think data on cell is a little faster. Otherwise they are very similar.

I do like always on display on my Samsung and wonder if Apple will release that feature to its older phones.

I like using Android and iOS as it is fun to see the differences and advantages of both.

ian87w

macrumors G3
Feb 22, 2020
Indonesia
It cannot be "easily" fooled by a photo. You can show the camera a photo from another phone, and it won't unlock. The same is true with a printed photo. I have tried both. After it doesn't work a couple of times, it will present a message saying it disabled face unlock due to too many unsuccessful attempts. That whole "it can be easily fooled by a photo" is flat out untrue.
Sure, but in the end, it's not considered to be a secure biometric to be used for secure authentications such as banking, etc.

compwiz1202

macrumors 604
May 20, 2010
Sure, but in the end, it's not considered to be a secure biometric to be used for secure authentications such as banking, etc.
Yea anything for a bank or CC only does finger i think. I know Norton has you choose and maybe some others I forget. Maybe there is a way in settings to default to Face, but if it just has me pick Face in the first place, I might as well touch Power

kasakka

macrumors 68020
Oct 25, 2008
I got a Galaxy Fold 4 recently and my experience is similar. Last Android version I had used was 6 on my Oneplus 3. After that went back to iPhones until now.

Both Android and Samsung's own software have really grown during these years to the point that there is a lot less jank overall and the experience is not that far off from what Apple does. There are still things that I feel iOS does better like the process for using Apple Pay or a bit more consistent layouts from 3rd party developers.

But I have really loved the customization options on Android. I don't mean things like changing your fonts and icons but just the little toggles to make things behave your preferred way which is almost completely missing on iOS. This can really help make the device work like you prefer.

For me to go back to Apple, they would have to bring out a foldable device similar to the Fold 4 and it would have to have better split screen multitasking than what an iPad offers today. The way Samsung has implemented split screen multitasking on the Fold 4 is really well done.

h.gilbert

macrumors 6502a
Nov 17, 2022
Bordeaux
I'm interested in going back to an iPhone. Last one I had was the 7 Plus. Since then I've had a Pixel 3 and now a Redmi Note 10 Pro. Most important aspect for a phone is battery life for me. Who cares what features a phone has if at the end of the day it runs out of juice. iPhones tick that box whereas flagship Androids don't. Even with 5000mAh batteries the horrible Samsung made chips are too inefficient.

The reasons I'm hesitant is I've gotten quite use to installing apps from other places on Android. Saved me a couple of times when abroad. Also features like a headphone jack, and the ability (at least on MIUI) to adjust volumes for individual apps. I can game and listen a podcast at the same time. Can iOS do this? Of course, the other thing is the price1

ian87w

macrumors G3
Feb 22, 2020
Indonesia
Yea anything for a bank or CC only does finger i think. I know Norton has you choose and maybe some others I forget. Maybe there is a way in settings to default to Face, but if it just has me pick Face in the first place, I might as well touch Power
There shouldn't be any override as that would be a security risk. On Android, fingerprint sensor has higher security profile than face for obvious reasons. Higher security profile biometric can be used for authentication while less secure ones can only be used for unlocking the phone. It's by design.

compwiz1202

macrumors 604
May 20, 2010
There shouldn't be any override as that would be a security risk. On Android, fingerprint sensor has higher security profile than face for obvious reasons. Higher security profile biometric can be used for authentication while less secure ones can only be used for unlocking the phone. It's by design.
It's not to allow face for ones without a choice, it's the ones with both default to finger. I would take just as much time to pick Face as to just tap Power.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.