Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

imdropbear

macrumors regular
Original poster
Sep 12, 2019
Hi guys,

I need your advice on something I want to do.\

I have an iPad Pro and a 14 inch MBP.

Outside of work, I mostly use my iPad and the MBP is used mostly stationary on my desk. Sometimes I do use it on the couch. So far no problem.

Last week my kid managed to damage the screen of my MBP. Mostly not an issue (since it was used stationary with external displays most of the time anyway) but my couch sessions are currently not possible.

My options:

(A) Get the screen repaired (up to 800€ last time I checked)

(B) Get a cheap MBA (800-900€)

Since my device is fully functional apart from the screen, I think option (B) seems more attractive to me. That way I would have 2 devices.

But after thinking about it a while, I was coming up with another idea:

(C) Get a Magic Keyboard (350€) for my iPad Pro and then use macOS' Screen Mirroring Feature to use the iPad Pro as an external Screen and then use my iPad Pro with its magic keyboard as a laptop.

Not only would this be the cheapest solution, it would also fit my "workflow" best. I'd love if my MBP could just stay stationary and I would be able to just use my iPad elsewhere.

I already used the screen mirroring feature to do that occasionally in the past but without a trackpad (had to use my external Magic Trackpad) and just the on-screen keyboard on the iPad that wasn't quite what I was looking for. Otherwise I was happy with the solution (latency is good enough for what I was doing).

There are a few problems with this solution. Maybe someone can help me out?

1. The only way to initiate the Sidecar session is from the MBP. So if I didn't want to walk up to my desk to start it, I would have to use something like Splashtop to connect to the MBP first to initiate the screen mirroring before being able to use my iPad. This works but isn't exactly a nice way of doing it. Is there a better solution for this? Ideally I would like to be able to wake my MBP from sleep with this but as far as I'm aware I would have to build some kind of custom solution for this?
  2. Normally (unlike the keyboard), the trackpad of the magic keyboard can't be used to control the cursor of my MBP, correct? I have found this workaround, but since I don't have a magic keyboard yet, I can't test if this still works. Anyone knows? If it does not: Is there any way to directly connect the magic keyboard to my MBP (I assume not) and if there isn't, is there a third party keyboard like the magic keyboard that can do this? (I really don't want to tape a Logitech K400 to my iPad even though that would be *exactly* what I need...)
Thanks a lot!

Of course ideal would be option (D) which would be Apple allowing macOS to be installed on iPads, but... yeah. Let's stick with the doable ones...

BeatCrazy

macrumors 601
Jul 20, 2011
  1. Normally (unlike the keyboard), the trackpad of the magic keyboard can't be used to control the cursor of my MBP, correct? I have found this workaround, but since I don't have a magic keyboard yet, I can't test if this still works. Anyone knows? If it does not: Is there any way to directly connect the magic keyboard to my MBP (I assume not) and if there isn't, is there a third party keyboard like the magic keyboard that can do this? (I really don't want to tape a Logitech K400 to my iPad even though that would be *exactly* what I need...)
I could never get that workaround to function correctly or consistently. You will end up frustrated.

I'd advise just buying an external display for your MBP.

imdropbear

macrumors regular
Original poster
Sep 12, 2019
I have external displays, that's not the issue.

I just would like to be able to switch to my MBP on the couch or in the garden, ideally without even having to pull the MBP out of its dock. That's also a reason why I would prefer a cheap MBA over actually repairing the screen (also, I'd prefer my kids destroying an MBA over my MBP ... again).

But if this workaround isn't working reliably and there aren't any other workarounds or alternative products either, that sucks... That's the only hurdle I see that I may not be able to overcome.

Is at least the keyboard working reliably? Having to use an external mouse/trackpad would still suck though... Maybe getting an MBA is better then. I would love to make my iPad the only device I actually need though...

The Apple pencil doesn't work as an input device for the MBP while screen mirroring to the iPad either, does it?

Last edited:

Digitalguy

macrumors 601
Apr 15, 2019
Why do you want to use Sidecar and not a remote desktop software? You mention Splashtop. Maybe because it's not good enough? There are other apps, some are even better, although they work similarly.

Reactions: Shirasaki

Rafterman

Contributor
Apr 23, 2010
Why do you want to use Sidecar and not a remote desktop software? You mention Splashtop. Maybe because it's not good enough? There are other apps, some are even better, although they work similarly.

Like Jump. I've used that for years.

Reactions: KPOM

chabig

macrumors G4
Sep 6, 2002
Maybe someone can help me out?
Some people will recommend TeamViewer, but I really like Screens. It's in the App Store with a subscription, which I think is fine, as the app receives great support and regular updates. If you want to connect from out of your home, they also provide a service that tracks your IP address so you can connect remotely.

Shirasaki

macrumors P6
May 16, 2015
I just use Splashtop to connect to my Mac when needed. AFAIK you cannot initiate a connection from iPad so I never even bother to use it aside from trying it out as a novel feature (which was already available through third party software such as duet before).

imdropbear

macrumors regular
Original poster
Sep 12, 2019
You can initiate Splashtop sessions from the iPad remotely.

The reason I wanted to use Sidecar and not remote access software is that it felt a lot more… “native“. it automatically has the correct resolution for the iPad and everything looks all nice and crisp.

TeamViewer and Splashtop can‘t do that, they just take the resolution of my MBP which can‘t be displayed natively on the iPad. I would probably have to set up some kind of “virtual display“ on my MBP with my iPad’s resolution and then use Splashtop to access that.

But the video quality over Splashtop is just noticably worse than what Sidecar has to offer (looks really compressed and the colors washed out). Is Jump or Screens better on that regard? Might give them a try.

Digitalguy

macrumors 601
Apr 15, 2019
You can initiate Splashtop sessions from the iPad remotely.

The reason I wanted to use Sidecar and not remote access software is that it felt a lot more… “native“. it automatically has the correct resolution for the iPad and everything looks all nice and crisp.

TeamViewer and Splashtop can‘t do that, they just take the resolution of my MBP which can‘t be displayed natively on the iPad. I would probably have to set up some kind of “virtual display“ on my MBP with my iPad’s resolution and then use Splashtop to access that.

But the video quality over Splashtop is just noticably worse than what Sidecar has to offer (looks really compressed and the colors washed out). Is Jump or Screens better on that regard? Might give them a try.
I was sure it was mainly a matter of resolution and aspect ratio....
Yes, Jump Desktop is the best, you can choose your resolution. Set to use retina resolution and set 4:3 aspect ration resolution like 1600:1200 and voilà.
The video quality in Splashtop is worse because it does not use retina...

BeatCrazy

macrumors 601
Jul 20, 2011
I have external displays, that's not the issue.

I just would like to be able to switch to my MBP on the couch or in the garden, ideally without even having to pull the MBP out of its dock. That's also a reason why I would prefer a cheap MBA over actually repairing the screen (also, I'd prefer my kids destroying an MBA over my MBP ... again).

But if this workaround isn't working reliably and there aren't any other workarounds or alternative products either, that sucks... That's the only hurdle I see that I may not be able to overcome.

Is at least the keyboard working reliably? Having to use an external mouse/trackpad would still suck though... Maybe getting an MBA is better then. I would love to make my iPad the only device I actually need though...

The Apple pencil doesn't work as an input device for the MBP while screen mirroring to the iPad either, does it?
Yes, the Apple pencil works as an input device when the iPad is mirroring a Mac. But I never figured out how to right-click with just the Apple Pencil.

I have attempted the same thing you're after, and ultimately gave up. Even though I have ridiculously fast and stable Wi-Fi access point in the same room as the devices, it's just an unreliable connection. Has to do with sleep/wake, I suppose. I spent more time reconnecting and doing other one-off activities compared to actually getting the iPad to function as expected.

CarAnalogy

macrumors 601
Jun 9, 2021
OK so first thing to do, if you haven't read this article check this out because he's doing something similar:

My personal opinion, don't spend the money on a half fix. That Magic Keyboard alone is almost half the display repair.

I would either use the MBP at your desk with an external display, or try to use the iPad Pro directly with a cheaper external keyboard and mouse.

I have the exact same two devices. I'm not sure you'd be pleased going back to an Air after the Pro. Personally my eyes don't like working on 60Hz displays anymore (my external display is also high refresh rate.)

That's a dilly of a pickle there. Maybe just try to make it through until you can replace the MBP.

Reactions: heretiq

Chancha

macrumors 68020
Mar 19, 2014
I second the notion of using Jump Desktop. Been using it on an iPad Pro M1 12.9" with Magic KB, even accessing from across the globe (UK to Asia and back), it works flawlessly. Out of the VNC client iOS apps I have tried, this is a rare one that supports touch, trackpad (on MKB), and external bluetooth mouse all without issues.

But I also have to concur with an above comment saying the Magic KB alone costs too much of a purchase, when the original scenario was to avoid the 800 Euro MBP screen repair. The OP wants a couch solution so I am not sure if a better alternative exists though.

imdropbear

macrumors regular
Original poster
Sep 12, 2019
Wow, thanks for the link. *That* is what I really want. I may consider just doing exactly that but don‘t exactly have the tools to engineer the proper attachments for the iPad like he did.

Reactions: CarAnalogy

heretiq

Contributor
Jan 31, 2014
Denver, CO
Wow, thanks for the link. *That* is what I really want. I may consider just doing exactly that but don‘t exactly have the tools to engineer the proper attachments for the iPad like he did.
That MacPad article is ingenious but I don’t think you need to go all the way like Viticci did to get the results you’re looking for. The section on “Using Sidecar to Turn an iPad into a Mac Display” discussed a modified version of Sidecar Launcher shortcut that allows you to initiate the Mac connection from your iPad.

Reactions: CarAnalogy

KPOM

macrumors P6
Oct 23, 2010
I like Jump as well, though I notice that my MacBook Pro sometimes doesn’t connect and I have to try again a few minutes later. It’s the same with Parallels Access. Does the Mac only ping the network looking for remote access apps periodically?

imdropbear

macrumors regular
Original poster
Sep 12, 2019
That MacPad article is ingenious but I don’t think you need to go all the way like Viticci did to get the results you’re looking for. The section on “Using Sidecar to Turn an iPad into a Mac Display” discussed a modified version of Sidecar Launcher shortcut that allows you to initiate the Mac connection from your iPad.
This still leaves the issue of the magic trackpad not properly/consistently working with Universal Access/Sidecar.

imdropbear

macrumors regular
Original poster
Sep 12, 2019
It does address the issue, that‘s why I linked to it in my post. :–)

Someone here said it wouldn‘t work reliably/consistently. I might just buy the magic keyboard and try it out though…

Since my display is broken answay, I might also try to remove it like in the link above. Anyone knows if this is an easy thing to do or do I risk damaging my MBP (excluding the display of course)

Amplelink

macrumors 6502a
Oct 8, 2012
I completely get the appeal of wanting to use the iPad in these circumstances, but you're way better off with an MBA. It'll do everything you need and you won't have to make any compromises. Unless of course you use the Apple Pencil.

Rafterman

Contributor
Apr 23, 2010
I like Jump as well, though I notice that my MacBook Pro sometimes doesn’t connect and I have to try again a few minutes later. It’s the same with Parallels Access. Does the Mac only ping the network looking for remote access apps periodically?

That's been a bug in Mac remote desktop for years. If you unload/reload the screensharing service, it comes back, at least for a while.

echo 'pawword' | sudo -S launchctl unload /System/Library/LaunchDaemons/com.apple.screensharing.plist

echo 'password' | sudo -S launchctl load -w /System/Library/LaunchDaemons/com.apple.screensharing.plist

Digitalguy

macrumors 601
Apr 15, 2019
It does address the issue, that‘s why I linked to it in my post. :–)

Someone here said it wouldn‘t work reliably/consistently. I might just buy the magic keyboard and try it out though…

Since my display is broken answay, I might also try to remove it like in the link above. Anyone knows if this is an easy thing to do or do I risk damaging my MBP (excluding the display of course)
I tried it and it does not work, you cannot use Sidecar and Universal Control at the same time with the same iPad. At least if that's what this solutions is trying to achieve

heretiq

Contributor
Jan 31, 2014
Denver, CO
I tried it and it does not work, you cannot use Sidecar and Universal Control at the same time with the same iPad. At least if that's what this solutions is trying to achieve
Not sure of the exact use case but this MR article addresses the topic including how to switch between Sidecar and UC on the same iPad. Hope it helps.

Allen_Wentz

macrumors 68030
Dec 3, 2016
USA
Hi guys,

I need your advice on something I want to do.\

I have an iPad Pro and a 14 inch MBP.

Outside of work, I mostly use my iPad and the MBP is used mostly stationary on my desk. Sometimes I do use it on the couch. So far no problem.

Last week my kid managed to damage the screen of my MBP. Mostly not an issue (since it was used stationary with external displays most of the time anyway) but my couch sessions are currently not possible.

My options:

(A) Get the screen repaired (up to 800€ last time I checked)

(B) Get a cheap MBA (800-900€)

Since my device is fully functional apart from the screen, I think option (B) seems more attractive to me. That way I would have 2 devices.

But after thinking about it a while, I was coming up with another idea:

(C) Get a Magic Keyboard (350€) for my iPad Pro and then use macOS' Screen Mirroring Feature to use the iPad Pro as an external Screen and then use my iPad Pro with its magic keyboard as a laptop.

Not only would this be the cheapest solution, it would also fit my "workflow" best. I'd love if my MBP could just stay stationary and I would be able to just use my iPad elsewhere.

I already used the screen mirroring feature to do that occasionally in the past but without a trackpad (had to use my external Magic Trackpad) and just the on-screen keyboard on the iPad that wasn't quite what I was looking for. Otherwise I was happy with the solution (latency is good enough for what I was doing).

There are a few problems with this solution. Maybe someone can help me out?

1. The only way to initiate the Sidecar session is from the MBP. So if I didn't want to walk up to my desk to start it, I would have to use something like Splashtop to connect to the MBP first to initiate the screen mirroring before being able to use my iPad. This works but isn't exactly a nice way of doing it. Is there a better solution for this? Ideally I would like to be able to wake my MBP from sleep with this but as far as I'm aware I would have to build some kind of custom solution for this?
  2. Normally (unlike the keyboard), the trackpad of the magic keyboard can't be used to control the cursor of my MBP, correct? I have found this workaround, but since I don't have a magic keyboard yet, I can't test if this still works. Anyone knows? If it does not: Is there any way to directly connect the magic keyboard to my MBP (I assume not) and if there isn't, is there a third party keyboard like the magic keyboard that can do this? (I really don't want to tape a Logitech K400 to my iPad even though that would be *exactly* what I need...)
Thanks a lot!

Of course ideal would be option (D) which would be Apple allowing macOS to be installed on iPads, but... yeah. Let's stick with the doable ones...
Personally I would buy an MBA: M2 or M3. They are being offered at bargain pricing now. For couch usage the very lame RAM in a base model will be tolerable since you still have the sessile MBP.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.