Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

ratsg

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Dec 6, 2010
I want to use my own keyboard with the iPad.

I know that there are several commercial iPad only ones currently available through Bekins and others. I don't really care for them.

Is there a Lightening->USB or a bluetooth->USB adapter available so I could use my standard/full sized Apple USB keyboard with my iPad?

Nhwhazup

macrumors 68040
Sep 2, 2010
New Hampshire
I have a couple of mechanical keyboards that I use with my iPad. You have to purchase the camera adapter that goes from USB to lightning so you can plug in the keyboard. You will get an error message saying that the device is not supported. But just hit the okay button and the keyboard will input fine. It worked this way on my iPad 3 and also works with the iPad Air.

Reactions: ratsg

ratsg

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Dec 6, 2010
thanks Nhwhazup,

that was exactly what I was looking for.

TWO2SEVEN

macrumors 68040
Jun 27, 2010
Plano, TX
I have a couple of mechanical keyboards that I use with my iPad. You have to purchase the camera adapter that goes from USB to lightning so you can plug in the keyboard. You will get an error message saying that the device is not supported. But just hit the okay button and the keyboard will input fine. It worked this way on my iPad 3 and also works with the iPad Air.

Good to know! :)

ratsg

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Dec 6, 2010
Summary

I just wanted to post a summary for anyone who might come across this or search for something similar in the archives.

I am a new/first time iPad owner, and along with my iPad purchase, I also purchased the camera kit.

Apple can certainly call this what ever they like, but in reality it is nothing more than a USD $30.00 USB->Lightning cable.

I can report that I am successfully using this adapter cable, along with my Sun Microsystems Type 7 Unix keyboard, to type text into various applications on my iPad.

Thank you again to everyone who replied, this works great.

Last edited:

Nhwhazup

macrumors 68040
Sep 2, 2010
New Hampshire
I just wanted to post a summary for anyone who might come across this or search for something similar in the archives.

I am a new/first time iPad owner, and along with my iPad purchase, I also purchased the camera kit.

Apple can certainly call this what ever they like, but in reality it is nothing more than a USD $30.00 USB->Lightning cable.

I can report that I am successfully using this adapter cable, along with my Sun Microsystems Type 7 Unix keyboard, to type text into various applications on my iPad.

Thank you again to everyone who replied, this works great.

That's what's great about these forums. I learn new tricks all the time.

iPodJedi

macrumors 6502a
Nov 28, 2013
Apple Store, USA
I want to use my own keyboard with the iPad.

I know that there are several commercial iPad only ones currently available through Bekins and others. I don't really care for them.

Is there a Lightening->USB or a bluetooth->USB adapter available so I could use my standard/full sized Apple USB keyboard with my iPad?
Nope there are no USB adapters like that i recommend this one though. i use it every day(even right now) and it is foldable and comes in different colors (and u cant tell by the picture but it is extremely thin and small)

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    212.7 KB · Views: 114

trewyn15

macrumors 6502
May 13, 2013
Really good to know actually. I HATE typing on my tablet, but love how easy it is to use for just scrolling around.

kaielement

macrumors 65816
Dec 16, 2010
The iPad has Bluetooth built in so no need for an adaptor. Any Bluetooth keyboard will work. I do know a lot of people use the apple branded Bluetooth keyboard.

kaielement

macrumors 65816
Dec 16, 2010
ya but the apple ones are expensive it would probably be easier to find one for like $30

Not saying you have to buy the apple one. It's just what I see a lot. Plus most keyboard cases cost $100 or more and the apple one is only $69.99 so some people find that worth it plus it's apple branded.

iPodJedi

macrumors 6502a
Nov 28, 2013
Apple Store, USA
Not saying you have to buy the apple one. It's just what I see a lot. Plus most keyboard cases cost $100 or more and the apple one is only $69.99 so some people find that worth it plus it's apple branded.
ya- i just use an external bluetooth keyboard i picked up for $30 i dont like the case keyboards...

ratsg

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Dec 6, 2010
The iPad has Bluetooth built in so no need for an adaptor. Any Bluetooth keyboard will work. I do know a lot of people use the apple branded Bluetooth keyboard.

Unless you have a link for a USB->Bluetooth adapter, then YES, there is a need for an adapter.

kaielement

macrumors 65816
Dec 16, 2010
Unless you have a link for a USB->Bluetooth adapter, then YES, there is a need for an adapter.

What are you talking about? How would I connect to my Bluetooth speaker or keaybord if the iPad didn't have Bluetooth? And no I am not using any adaptor. Go to settings and third option down is Bluetooth make sure it's on then you should be able to connect with your Bluetooth keyboard. Am I missing something or you are asking about something totally different? Maybe I am just that dumb lol. I am totally confused.

Ps look at this link from the apple website it sates under the wireless connection part that the iPad does in deed have Bluetooth so no adaptor needed. http://www.apple.com/ipad/compare/

Last edited:

ratsg

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Dec 6, 2010
I'm the OP.

The keyboard I wanted to use with my iPad is a USB keyboard.

As such, I either needed a USB->Bluetooth adapter, or a USB->Lightning adapter. My personal preference was the later, although I would have been happy with either.

I am a new/first time iPad owner. After asking my question, you can see from the thread history that Apple does make a USB->lightning adapter. They call it the camera kit.

The camera kit + my USB keyboard works great for what I need it for. I received my stuff and it all worked great together. I posted a summary and thanked everyone for their comments.

I am a little confused as to why anyone would question my successful resolved issue? I don't believe anyone suggested that the iPad did not have Bluetooth. If you are experiencing problems with your Bluetooth speaker, I might suggest opening a new thread.

What are you talking about? How would I connect to my Bluetooth speaker or keaybord if the iPad didn't have Bluetooth? And no I am not using any adaptor.

kaielement

macrumors 65816
Dec 16, 2010
I'm the OP.

The keyboard I wanted to use with my iPad is a USB keyboard.

As such, I either needed a USB->Bluetooth adapter, or a USB->Lightning adapter. My personal preference was the later, although I would have been happy with either.

I am a new/first time iPad owner. After asking my question, you can see from the thread history that Apple does make a USB->lightning adapter. They call it the camera kit.

The camera kit + my USB keyboard works great for what I need it for. I received my stuff and it all worked great together. I posted a summary and thanked everyone for their comments.

I am a little confused as to why anyone would question my successful resolved issue? I don't believe anyone suggested that the iPad did not have Bluetooth. If you are experiencing problems with your Bluetooth speaker, I might suggest opening a new thread.

Ok I get it thanks for claifing you are trying to use a keyboard that didn't have Bluetooth. The way you wrote that made it seem like you needed the adaptor for the iPad not the keyboard. And no not having problems with any speakers. I was just a bit confused.

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.