Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Garyjones42

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 14, 2018
Hey! My iMac 2010 iMac is on its last limb, but im trying to hold out until the next 2020 model comes out. What Im going to do is use my 2018 MacBook Pro as my main computer (music production) but hooked top to my iMac as an external display. How do I go about using my iMac wireless keyboard and mouse white its hooked up as an external display? I figured I Would connect the keyboard and mouse to my laptop and then hook up the laptop to iMac for external display, but I have been reading that you have to press some keys on your iMac keyboard to go into target display mode or something. So if I connect it to my laptop first, how will I press those keys on my iMac? There has to be a way to do this, but google has failed to provide me answers. Also if anyone knows off the top of their head since im here, if I have HDMI cable going out of my laptop, what cable do I need to go into iMac? midi display to HDMI? I know this answer is online maybe il go find it while I wait for replies ? thanks :)

hexagenia

macrumors demi-god
Jan 12, 2007
New Hampshire
I do exactly what you are suggesting implementing with my 2010 iMac. I use a Displayport/Thunderbolt cable to bridge the two devices and have a wireless keyboard and mouse available for the iMac. Press Command F2 and you'r ready to go.

Kent W's solution above looks very elegant and may in fact be a easier/better solution, but I have not used it. I use the setup you are describing daily just using a wireless keyboard which I have available.Good luck!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.