Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

AronDraws

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Oct 6, 2014
Burbank, CA
Hi!

So I was originally going to try to trade in my old iPhone 5 when they were offering $200 towards the purchase of an SE with it, but when they cut that down to $100 I said screw it, and decided to keep it and use it as an iPod (I have an iPod video - hardware errors, dead battery, an original iPod touch (which is pretty much dead, a 3rd generation touch with an issue that causes songs to play halfway and then cut to next song, and a shuffle which holds noooooothing).

I figure using it as an iPod would be fine. When delivery day came and I got my SE, I backed up old 5, transferred everything and sim to SE and got that going no problem.

I went through on the 5 and deleted most the apps, and junk so I would have room for music-- but when I charged it up and turned it on at work to try to buy some music, it connected to wifi and re-installed pretty much everything I had uninstalled.

I love being able to buy and download music from the speedy wifi at work but is there a setting or something I can use to keep it from re-installing apps? I'd hate to have to wipe the whole thing and start from scratch since I'd like a few games on there but I'll do what I need :)

Thank you kindly!

dave006

macrumors 68040
Jul 3, 2008
Just West of East
Blame iTunes, the App Store, and iCloud. Since you only erased items from the iPhone 5 and did not set it up as a new device, it stayed synced to iCloud, iTunes, and even the App Store if you had used it to sync your iPhone 5. :eek::)

You should log out of iCloud on the iPhone 5. Update your Settings > iTunes & App store settings to not "Automatically Download Apps" or other things that you don't want to have sent to your iPhone 5 every time it is connected to Wi-Fi before deleting the apps from the old iPhone 5.

Dave

Reactions: got556

AronDraws

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Oct 6, 2014
Burbank, CA
Blame iTunes, the App Store, and iCloud. Since you only erased items from the iPhone 5 and did not set it up as a new device, it stayed synced to iCloud, iTunes, and even the App Store if you had used it to sync your iPhone 5. :eek::)

You should log out of iCloud on the iPhone 5. Update your Settings > iTunes & App store settings to not "Automatically Download Apps" or other things that you don't want to have sent to your iPhone 5 every time it is connected to Wi-Fi before deleting the apps from the old iPhone 5.

Dave
Awesome thanks!

got556

macrumors 6502
Jul 7, 2013
Indiana
I would love to find a slate iP5 for cheap. I got a 4 for free a while back and my son was using that as an iPod. It was getting a bit long in the tooth, especially jailbroken on 7.1.2 so I found a lady selling a mint gold 5S....paid $60 for it with a Spigen case :). So now my son has a 5S he uses as a Touch and I downgraded the 4 to 6.1.2 and will be using it as an iPod for my car.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.