Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Graeme43

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Sep 11, 2006
Great Britain (Glasgow)
Hey. I have searched over the net trying to find the answer on this. I have seen that there is tutorials how to cut down the sim to fit the iPad. I have the O2 iPad 3G microsim and I have another sim that is pay as you go. Is it possible if it was cut correctly that I could top say £10 onto the prepaid sim and use that for internet rather than using monthly £10-15 charges? I would only be using it rarely outside and I don't want to be paying out my nose for it
:confused:

Ta :D

pbtterworth

macrumors newbie
May 4, 2010
London, UK
Why bother cutting one down, just get an iPad pay as you go one!

Orange

5p per MB pay as you go (no Wi-Fi; unlimited 3G usage, but maximum charge £40/month)

£2 per day for 200MB (no Wi-Fi)

O2

£2 a day for 500MB (unlimited Wi-Fi across 7,500 BT Openzone and The Cloud hotspots)

Cheers Paul

Graeme43

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Sep 11, 2006
Great Britain (Glasgow)
that 5p per megabyte thing is the kind im looking for. i don't want to pay for data then have to use it within a period, more like a preload thing for when I'm out and about with iPad. I'll be near wifi most of the time tho.

I already have a spare O2 sim, wonder if it would work if it had money in it for internet :D

AlecEdworthy

macrumors 6502
May 1, 2007
Leicestershire, UK
Hey. I have searched over the net trying to find the answer on this. I have seen that there is tutorials how to cut down the sim to fit the iPad. I have the O2 iPad 3G microsim and I have another sim that is pay as you go. Is it possible if it was cut correctly that I could top say £10 onto the prepaid sim and use that for internet rather than using monthly £10-15 charges? I would only be using it rarely outside and I don't want to be paying out my nose for it
Yes you can but beware that if you choose the Text and Web tariff and top up £10 for "300 messages and unlimited Internet", the "unlimited" Internet is capped at 500Mb per month after which you pay £3 per Mb. This means it is more sensible to either use the £2 per day (assuming less than 5 days of use per month) or the £10 per month for 1Gb and cancel it when you don't want it.

As for cutting the SIM down, push the micro-SIM out of the O2 iPad SIM, overlay the remaining micro-SIM to mini-SIM adaptor on the PAYG mini-SIM and trace out the micro-SIM shaped hole onto the PAYG mini-SIM. Now carefully cut around the lines (slightly outside if possible) and then use a nail file to sand the edges until it pushes into the O2 micro-SIM holder. Now insert that into the iPad and then change the APN (Settings, Cellular Data, APN Settings) to payandgo.o2.co.uk with username vertigo and password password.

Alec

Graeme43

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Sep 11, 2006
Great Britain (Glasgow)
I managed to chop the card down enough so that it fitted in and it now reads as O2-UK from the payg sim :)

I get an error message when clicking view account with that card, this ipad has not been registered properly in our systems and ive to phone o2

AlecEdworthy

macrumors 6502
May 1, 2007
Leicestershire, UK
I managed to chop the card down enough so that it fitted in and it now reads as O2-UK from the payg sim :)

I get an error message when clicking view account with that card, this ipad has not been registered properly in our systems and ive to phone o2

Non-iPad SIM cards will not work like that. You need to go online, phone their topup line or use a top up card and top it up normally.

Alec

Graeme43

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Sep 11, 2006
Great Britain (Glasgow)
Non-iPad SIM cards will not work like that. You need to go online, phone their topup line or use a top up card and top it up normally.

Alec

Yep, the card I have cut down still fits in the adaptor so I can put it back in the iPhone. I have a topup card for it. Here hopes that if I top it up £10 it'll work for the net :D without using it all up in like 20 minutes

AlecEdworthy

macrumors 6502
May 1, 2007
Leicestershire, UK
Yep, the card I have cut down still fits in the adaptor so I can put it back in the iPhone. I have a topup card for it. Here hopes that if I top it up £10 it'll work for the net :D without using it all up in like 20 minutes

See my original message. If you are on the Text and Web tariff it will work fine as £10 gets you 500Mb of Internet access. If however you're on a different tariff then you may find you use credit rather than an inclusive bundle. Pound for Mb, you are better signing up to the £10 per month iPad tariff and cancelling it for those periods when you don't want it unless you will use less than 500Mb per month and have a phone you'll use the 300 SMS messages and £10 call credit in.

Alec

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.