Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MrMister111

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Jan 28, 2009
UK
Does anyone have a Pixel (or other Android suppose), but still use Mac, and have iCloud Photo library?

I currently have an iPhone, Mac, iPad, subscribe to iCloud 2Tb, and have all my pics and video (over 1Tb), synced using Mac Photos and iCloud photo library. I'd like to stick with this, as took me ages to get it all synced and mostly organised.

I know Pixel, uses Google Photos, what do others do in this scenario? Just take pics, and then manually sync when back home on the Mac? Is there an easier way?

I don't know much about Android and Pixel yet, but read a lot about the good AI, and Pixel camera quality but lead to believe it uses not just the Pixel, but also Google Photos for magic eraser, best take etc? Is that right? So would I have to use google Photos app to get this functionality?

Last edited:

jb310

macrumors 6502
Aug 24, 2017
Normally, people using Pixels just let Google Photos back stuff up to the cloud automatically (usually whenever it's on WiFi). If you want to store the photos in iCloud Photo Library instead, you can just transfer the photos to the Mac.

An easy way to do this is to either let Google Photos back up your photos (and then download them off the Google Photos website), OR just manually upload your photos to Google Drive and then download them off of there onto your Mac.

Once it's on your Mac, just import the files to the Photos app; it should upload to iCloud Photo Library from there.

SO would I have to use google Photos app to get this functionality?
You can use the Magic Eraser and other AI features in Google Photos, and then transfer the edited photo to your Mac.

Reactions: danb1979

MrMister111

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Jan 28, 2009
UK
Normally, people using Pixels just let Google Photos back stuff up to the cloud automatically (usually whenever it's on WiFi). If you want to store the photos in iCloud Photo Library instead, you can just transfer the photos to the Mac; an easy way to do this is to either let Google Photos back up your photos (and then download them off the Google Photos website), or just manually upload your photos to Google Drive and then download them off of there onto your Mac.
Don't get much free space with Google photos so I'd have to buy some more space? and then delete from Google Photos after import to iCloud? Could I also do this on iPad? more easily available for me? ie just login to Google Photos on web on iPad? would they be full resolution, with meet data as well?

You can use the Magic Eraser and other AI features in Google Photos, and then transfer the edited photo to your Mac.
Is this on the web or app on Pixel? they changes before import, I could then copy to iCloud Photo Library? Are they only available on the app on Pixel direct? not online or anything?

Last edited:

jb310

macrumors 6502
Aug 24, 2017
ie just login to Google Photos on web on iPad? would they be full resolution, with meet data as well?
You can also just use the Google Photos app on your iPad, and still download the pictures to the Photos app that way.

IS this on the web or app on Pixel? they changes before import, I could then copy to iCloud Photo Library? Are they only available on the app on Pixel direct? not online or anything?
The app on the Pixel. If you want two copies of a photo (one unedited original, then an edited version with Magic Eraser) you can just copy the original photo and then use Magic Eraser on the copy (assuming you want to use Magic Eraser, otherwise you don't need to do anything special).

So if you're using an iPad:

- take a picture normally on the Pixel
- make sure automatic backup is ON on the Pixel's Google Photos app
- (OPTIONAL) make a duplicate photo of the original picture you took, and use Magic Eraser or whatever AI features you want on the duplicate
- download the photos using the Google Photos app that's on your iPad
- Save the photos to your iPad's Photos app
- delete the photos from Google Photos to clear up cloud storage space

Reactions: MrMister111

danb1979

macrumors 6502a
Feb 5, 2015
Preston, Lancs - UK
Does anyone have a Pixel (or other Android suppose), but still use Mac, and have iCloud Photo library?

I currently have an iPhone, Mac, iPad, subscribe to iCloud 2Tb, and have all my pics and video (over 1Tb), synced using Mac Photos and iCloud photo library. I'd like to stick with this, as took me ages to get it all synced and mostly organised.

I know Pixel, uses Google Photos, what do others do in this scenario? Just take pics, and then manually sync when back home on the Mac? Is there an easier way?

I don't know much about Android and Pixel yet, but read a lot about the good AI, and Pixel camera quality but lead to believe it uses not just the Pixel, but also Google Photos for magic eraser, best take etc? Is that right? So would I have to use google Photos app to get this functionality?

I use my Pixel Fold for lots of pics and my IP15PM - they both get uploaded/backed up to Google Photos (I pay £1.59 per month for extended storage) and if I want them in my iCloud back up; I just transfer them as and when etc...

Not any hardship at all

The Pixel phones are superb; if you're going to get one, get the 8 Pro if you can. But the latest 9 Pro will be out soon enough; worth bearing in mind IMO

MrMister111

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Jan 28, 2009
UK
I use my Pixel Fold for lots of pics and my IP15PM
Which is best iyo? Fold looks like has great options for night, time lapse with built in stand as such, better selfies with palm.

How do you run 2 phones? Is one work?

they both get uploaded/backed up to Google Photos (I pay £1.59 per month for extended storage) and if I want them in my iCloud back up; I just transfer them as and when etc...

Not any hardship at all

I may go Google photo route £80/year, currently have iCloud £9/month for 2Tb as that’s what need. Then at least it’s cross platform.

The Pixel phones are superb; if you're going to get one, get the 8 Pro if you can. But the latest 9 Pro will be out soon enough; worth bearing in mind IMO
Wanting a Fold specifically, just for a change, have a 15 at mo, and like the look of Fold and read that Pixel are better Android phones.

danb1979

macrumors 6502a
Feb 5, 2015
Preston, Lancs - UK
Which is best iyo? Fold looks like has great options for night, time lapse with built in stand as such, better selfies with palm.

How do you run 2 phones? Is one work?

I may go Google photo route £80/year, currently have iCloud £9/month for 2Tb as that’s what need. Then at least it’s cross platform.

Wanting a Fold specifically, just for a change, have a 15 at mo, and like the look of Fold and read that Pixel are better Android phones.

I'm not a photographer at all; more point & shoot. But the Fold camera is very good IMO and takes great pictures. It's warmer than the iPhone when it comes to colouring; but that's about it

The iPhone cameras are fantastic; the macro capabilities excellent. But rarely used in my case

However I have an AWU so can't be without an iPhone

And yes my Fold is my work device; but also the one I use the most for reading books (Kindle), magazines (Pocketmags etc); it's replaced my iPad that was just gathering dust TBH

Pixels are the best Android handsets IMO; Vanilla Android and no fluff like Samsung, as an example etc

The Folds can be picked up for decent money on eBay UK now from trusted business resellers too

MrMister111

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Jan 28, 2009
UK
I'm not a photographer at all; more point & shoot. But the Fold camera is very good IMO and takes great pictures. It's warmer than the iPhone when it comes to colouring; but that's about it

The iPhone cameras are fantastic; the macro capabilities excellent. But rarely used in my case
I’m point and click to but looking at vids seems Fold is decent and some good modes, think it misses out on a few of Google’s features like best take, which is a pity as it’s still their flagship.

However I have an AWU so can't be without an iPhone
I have AW9, and that’s what I’ll miss although it’s not used for anything extensive but I do use everyday, so I may have to get an Android Wear, for notifications etc.

And yes my Fold is my work device; but also the one I use the most for reading books (Kindle), magazines (Pocketmags etc); it's replaced my iPad that was just gathering dust TBH

Pixels are the best Android handsets IMO; Vanilla Android and no fluff like Samsung, as an example etc
It’s what I’ve read. Had Samsung before and used and a lot of fluff on them. Pixel as you say apparently have good software, which hopefully is similar to Apple where they have the harder and software to make it better.

The Folds can be picked up for decent money on eBay UK now from trusted business resellers too
Thats where looking, there or Amazon renewed. Any recommendations on there? When you say business resellers, do they buy a lot for their business then sell? Have you used before? Any bother?

danb1979

macrumors 6502a
Feb 5, 2015
Preston, Lancs - UK
I’m point and click to but looking at vids seems Fold is decent and some good modes, think it misses out on a few of Google’s features like best take, which is a pity as it’s still their flagship.

I have AW9, and that’s what I’ll miss although it’s not used for anything extensive but I do use everyday, so I may have to get an Android Wear, for notifications etc.

It’s what I’ve read. Had Samsung before and used and a lot of fluff on them. Pixel as you say apparently have good software, which hopefully is similar to Apple where they have the harder and software to make it better.

Thats where looking, there or Amazon renewed. Any recommendations on there? When you say business resellers, do they buy a lot for their business then sell? Have you used before? Any bother?

Re the seller; this is one I've used quite a few times now. My wife's Pixel 7 Pro came from Keith and it was literally as new! Got my Fold from him too, exactly the same!

Black: https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/296168704359
Porcelain: https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/305540012117

With him; you know you're not running the risk of it being a stolen or 'contract device' that runs the risk of being locked via an insurance claim etc

And yes; Android is Google's own OS, so it's vanilla on their devices, like Apple's. So updates come first etc

I really like my AWU and use it a lot; plus I've shovel like hands/big arms/wrists from a few decades of competitive powerlifting etc; Android wearables currently are just too small for me, look silly on my wrist. The AWU is the perfect size

And agree; the Fold is the flagship per se; but the Pixel 8 Pro currently is the leading device; that'll always sell more than their foldables, so that line will always get the best of the best tech...

Hopefully that'll be sorted on the Fold 2 whenever they release that

MrMister111

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Jan 28, 2009
UK
I when I take photos with the Pixel, I download them from Google Photos and then upload them to iCloud photos. It's a bit of a hassle, but that's the way it is.

Ona Mac? iPad? Or either whichever? Why, is it same as me as have large library and want to keep on iCloud rather than Google photos?

As long as stored in Google photos, does the Pixel auto upload full resolution pics, can wait until at Mac. Longest I’d prob ever be away is 2 weeks.

Can you login to iCloud Photos on web from Pixel and do it that way as well wonder?

RSB96

macrumors 6502
Jan 23, 2021
Spain
I generally download photos from the Pixel to the Mac or iPad, since those are usually the devices I edit photos in general. From the iPhone you can also access Google Photos and download them and then upload them to iCloud.

From the Pixel you can also access iCloud Drive from the web and it allows you to upload photos from Google Photos to iCloud.

photo_2024-05-24 13.33.05.jpeg

MrMister111

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Jan 28, 2009
UK
I generally download photos from the Pixel to the Mac or iPad, since those are usually the devices I edit photos in general. From the iPhone you can also access Google Photos and download them and then upload them to iCloud.

From the Pixel you can also access iCloud Drive from the web and it allows you to upload photos from Google Photos to iCloud.

View attachment 2381872

Excellent, thanks for that. I presume the photos via Mac, iPad, or even web on Pixel itself are full resolution, with all metadata, location etc. that’s a great workaround if so thanks.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.