Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Suspended
Original poster
Jan 11, 2018
This is an interesting one... The Surface Go with 4G. Can it be 'hacked' into using the sim card for calls and SMS like a regular smartphone?

See, I'm b**s deep into the Apple ecosystem. And to make a full transformation to Windows, well it's not quite the same for 'sheeple' like me who are all in or all out. There's no more Windows phone. Android is more integratable than iPhone, but still not that seamless Mac<>iOS harmony.

I thought, wouldn't it be great to have a small W10 device, always connected and possible to make calls off. I know it's not the way it was intended to be used, but I'd buy one as a toy if I could. Maybe wouldn't even need to take a phone with me.

In the event that no, the 4G modem cannot be modified or used the way I hoped, how feasible is it to have a Skype account, with a bought phone number, and credit and use it as a means of always being able to be called via phone number / SMS as well as VOIP.. I mean, is there any obvious reasons I've missed why this is a bad idea / not practical?

Let me know Windows buffs. As I know usually, anything can be done on Windows easier than on Mac due to being a bit more open. There's somebody local to me selling a Surface Go bundle with all the accessories and if I can do this, I'd snap it up ..

Suspended
Original poster
Jan 11, 2018
Apparently this works if you are on T-Mobile and use their DIGITS service: https://www.t-mobile.com/offers/t-mobile-digits

Alternatively, no reason why you can't just use Skype with a paid number. I used to do this for my business line and it worked flawlessly: https://www.skype.com/en/features/online-number/

I'm in the UK, so I can't use that. Though from Googling this, I've seen it mentioned a lot.

I was thinking Skype purchased phone number and credit. But, will the 4G Surface Go still be 'online and active' to be able to ring like a phone when in my backpack... If a user could confirm that'd be great. But if that doesn't work I think the idea is crippled

Suspended
Original poster
Jan 11, 2018
Two more flaws in the idea I've found, no SMS via Skype numbers and being prohibited from using it for emergency calls if ever necessary..

SteveJUAE

macrumors 601
Aug 14, 2015
Land of Smiles
Will not a simple USB 4G LTE dongle not fill your needs they are only $10-$40 and allow calls/SMS etc etc from your laptop/GO

Also there are new drivers for Samsung phones that bring almost the same integration as Apple if not more in some aspects between phone and laptop

A cheap Android device with the new APK side loaded could achieve the same

Last edited:

Suspended
Original poster
Jan 11, 2018
Will not a simple USB 4G LTE dongle not fill your needs they are only $10-$40 and allow calls/SMS etc etc from your laptop/GO

Also there are new drivers for Samsung phones that bring almost the same integration as Apple if not more in some aspects between phone and laptop

A cheap Android device with the new APK side loaded could achieve the same

I didn’t know the dongles allowed this, thought that’s great to know. But a USB dongle sticking out the side doesn’t look great and what it it caught and snapped off? Unless there’s now tiny ones since I last looked.

I had an S10+ and a W10 ThinkPad a few months ago and all I could get working was very unreliable SMS sync which didn’t work as I think it should have sadly.

The only issue with android tablets are they aren’t that full Windows experience with desktop apps. Just like an iPad, they’re better complimenting your main machine rather than being one (though I know some people do have a good time going iPad only but it’s not for me).

SteveJUAE

macrumors 601
Aug 14, 2015
Land of Smiles
I didn’t know the dongles allowed this, thought that’s great to know. But a USB dongle sticking out the side doesn’t look great and what it it caught and snapped off? Unless there’s now tiny ones since I last looked.

I had an S10+ and a W10 ThinkPad a few months ago and all I could get working was very unreliable SMS sync which didn’t work as I think it should have sadly.

The only issue with android tablets are they aren’t that full Windows experience with desktop apps. Just like an iPad, they’re better complimenting your main machine rather than being one (though I know some people do have a good time going iPad only but it’s not for me).
The new collaboration only recently announced for the Note 10 with Samsung and MS will improve the integration including dialling and answering calls on your laptop

Suspended
Original poster
Jan 11, 2018
The new collaboration only recently announced for the Note 10 with Samsung and MS will improve the integration including dialling and answering calls on your laptop

Now that is a game changer. No matter what the PC vs Mac debate we have... the Apple ecosystem and how much it means to people was never matched. IF this goes well, and Microsoft don't cancel it in their usual ways, this could really go as far as beating Apple at it's own game... Ecosystem coherence was never something that any other ecosystem could truly match. Microsoft's ecosystem was missing a phone .. Google's misses a full fat PC OS... Microsoft and Samsung, a force to be watched.

Thanks for sharing that with me. When it comes to fruition, that's forever going to change the way I and many others view the 'switch from Mac' idea..

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.