Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

UberMac

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jan 5, 2005
England
This may be a stupid thing to ask but...

Is there a way on the iMac (or a hack, like the screen spanning for iBook [only completely different I guess]) to use it's LCD as an LCD for other computers. For instance could I somehow hook up a mac mini to the iMac and use the iMac as the monitor for the mini.

More to the point I'm interested If I could somehow hook up my Freeview (It's a Brit thing, you Yanks might not understand) PVR to the iMac. I've looked at the Elgato tuners and they just don't offer anywhere near the functionality I'm looking for. Of course I'm still holding out for an add on to the new Intel minis with dual tuners AND HDTV compatibility...heh heh heh :D...which I could hook up to my iMac.

Well I hope that made some sense, because it'd beginning to sound less and less likely as I think about it.

Maxiseller

macrumors 6502a
Jan 11, 2005
Little grey, chilly island.
Question one is not possible, and there have been many past threads about this; you can extract the image displayed on your imac via the "vga?/dvi out" port and even have a dual monitor set up via screen-spanner (if that's what its called!) however you can't use the iMac as a screen on it's own...

It is possible to view TV on your iMac and freeview, but you need to buy one of the £100+ boxes from apple to do it - they're available in apple stores and are a third party solution.

Look Here http://store.apple.com/Apple/WebObjects/ukstore.woa/90101/wo/Q03VdPS0LkuZ2wAbwLRt2NE3yOM/2.SLID?mco=16A7CD24&nplm=TD753 for more information.

semaja2

macrumors 6502a
Dec 12, 2005
Adelaide
yes you could do question one with vnc or some software alike but i wouldnt reccomened it for much seeing as the lag you can get on it and the fact its software based

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.