Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Do you have a smart folio, cover or case for your mini?

• Yes

Votes: 33 78.6%
  • No

Votes: 9 21.4%

• Total voters

robertfrancis70

macrumors member
Original poster
Nov 10, 2012
I bought the mini 6 with the black "smart folio" cover, but I never use the ipad with the folio attached. It makes me wonder whether it was a waste to buy it. Aside from protecting it when carrying or storing it, it seems to serve little purpose.

I know it can be used to prop up the mini, but I don't use the mini on surfaces often.

Was it a waste? Is anyone rocking a mini case-less or cover-less all the time?

beach bum

macrumors demi-goddess
Oct 6, 2011
Philly
I bought the Apple black smart folio as well and have not used it once even when out. I liked the idea of it when I bought it with the mini 6, but it's still sitting in the box.

ferences

macrumors newbie
Nov 13, 2018
Ottawa, Canada
Only a transparent back sticker.
iPad mini.jpg

Reactions: DeepIn2U and sracer

Sheepish-Lord

macrumors 68020
Oct 13, 2021
Folios are one of those accessories were unless you keep it attached for traveling or around the house you tend to find other ways to accomplish what you want without it.

So unless you're traveling or are someone who keeps it attached 24/7 and doesn't use a naked iPad it's hard to justify. To be fair it's not that expensive so keeping it in a closet until it's needed doesn't hurt the wallet too bad.

Barsal

macrumors member
Feb 13, 2021
Madrid, Spain
I got today the dark cherry smart folio, don't regret at all, it looks stunning ? and can't wait to put it on my purple iPad mini when I got it next Monday for my bday ?
F65B72BE-4141-400A-B0EC-0C983D502827_1_201_a.jpeg

Reactions: DeepIn2U

darngooddesign

macrumors P6
Jul 4, 2007
Atlanta, GA
I bought the mini 6 with the black "smart folio" cover, but I never use the ipad with the folio attached. It makes me wonder whether it was a waste to buy it. Aside from protecting it when carrying or storing it, it seems to serve little purpose.

I know it can be used to prop up the mini, but I don't use the mini on surfaces often.

If you don't use the folio, then it was a waste for you to buy it.

However, it was cheap and you might use it in the future.

Or return it if you can.

Rafterman

Contributor
Apr 23, 2010

Since its magnetic and easy to take off, use it when you think you might need protection and pop it off when going bare.

geta

macrumors 68000
May 18, 2010
The Moon
Most of the time using the Mini without cover, but also having a Timovo ’smart folio’ cover for traveling or when carrying the Mini inside a bag.
I have the Dark Cherry Mini 6 Smart Folio. I've quit using it and switched to a Torro case that I like so much that I bought a similar one for my 2021 12.9 Pro.

TORRO Magnetic Case Compatible with iPad Mini 6th Gen
Thats really nice case.

• Love
Reactions: Barsal

sparksd

macrumors G3
Jun 7, 2015
Seattle WA
Most of the time using the Mini without cover, but also having a Timovo ’smart folio’ cover for traveling or when carrying the Mini inside a bag.

Thats really nice case.

I like that it has a textured feel - I don't care for the smooth/slick feel of the Smart Folio and similar cases. Personal preference.

sonicrobby

macrumors 68020
Apr 24, 2013
New Orleans
I do for when I travel. I have throw random things in my bag which have occasionally scratched up some screens in the past. My preference however is to use it without, around the house or even on the plane. Ill take the case off and use it bare. The only thing keeping it from perfection is that nasty camera bump on the back. Using it careless on a flat surface is annoying af

headlessmike

macrumors 65816
May 16, 2017
I ordered a Smart Folio about a month ago and still have no estimate on when it will be delivered. :rolleyes:

I love the iPad though.

robertfrancis70

macrumors member
Original poster
Nov 10, 2012
Is there a smart cover available for the Mini 6? I was under the impression that there are only cases for the Mini 6.
I think there's only the Smart Folio from Apple (covering the front and back, and charging you accordingly).

playtech1

macrumors 6502a
Oct 10, 2014
Transparent Rubber rear 'shell' and glass screen protector on my Mini 5 - basically feels pretty much like it's caseless, but I can throw it in my commuting bag without feeling like it's going to get too beaten up. Also I like how the rubber and glass screen protector feel in the hand.

darngooddesign

macrumors P6
Jul 4, 2007
Atlanta, GA
That was my understanding as well... but there have been repeated references to "covers" (rather than "cases") in this thread that I thought I might have missed the availability of a cover.
People may be calling them covers because the SmartFolio, for example, uses the same triangle folding system as the SmartCover.

DeepIn2U

macrumors G5
May 30, 2002
Toronto, Ontario, Canada
First week with my iPad mini 6I have not left the house with it yet, just rocking an Icons Skin at the back.

I have the Dark Cherry Mini 6 Smart Folio. I've quit using it and switched to a Torro case that I like so much that I bought a similar one for my 2021 12.9 Pro.

TORRO Magnetic Case Compatible with iPad Mini 6th Gen
I had a previous generation for my former M1 12” Pro and I detested it heavily. How rough is the tactile case of the Torro you’ve linked in comparison to the Smart Folio? Also is the pencil flap magnetic so when folded away it doesn’t flip flop around? Thx.
I bought the Apple black smart folio as well and have not used it once even when out. I liked the idea of it when I bought it with the mini 6, but it's still sitting in the box.
I’m considering the Smart Folio case though.

sparksd

macrumors G3
Jun 7, 2015
Seattle WA
First week with my iPad mini 6I have not left the house with it yet, just rocking an Icons Skin at the back.

I had a previous generation for my former M1 12” Pro and I detested it heavily. How rough is the tactile case of the Torro you’ve linked in comparison to the Smart Folio? Also is the pencil flap magnetic so when folded away it doesn’t flip flop around? Thx.

I’m considering the Smart Folio case though.
The TORRO has slight texture to it so it doesn't feel smooth - but I wouldn't call it rough. And the flap is well magnetized and stays out of the way - I wouldn't use it if it didn't. I still use a TORRO on both iPads and really like it - I think I have at least 3 unused cases for the 12.9.

Reactions: DeepIn2U
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.