Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

coolbreeze2

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Sep 24, 2009
We all are rightfully skeptical when a 2TB external USB storage is being sold at a very affordable price. I took a chance on this one and been using it for a month. It has performed as expected with no problems. Therefore, I thought I should share my experience.

• Haha
Reactions: ideaprison

DeltaMac

macrumors G5
Jul 30, 2003
Delaware
Red for $25 -- and there's a silver for $18 ....
Sounds too good to be true -- 2TB for $18.
The price makes me squint, and hold my mouth in a funny position.

I would ask you to try copying 1TB or more of data to that drive, then post a screen shot showing how much space is used. I noticed that it comes formatted as ExFat... Have you tried reformatting to a Mac format?

coolbreeze2

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Sep 24, 2009
I won't be able to do this until I return home from a trip. I certainly want to see the results because I'm putting my reputation on the line by posting this. So, I definitely will be following up.

enricoclaudio

macrumors 6502a
Jun 5, 2017
I was reading a review over Amazon about a similar very cheap 2TB SSD and the guy discovered that after transferring 32GB of data the 2TB SSD stopped and ran out of space. He opened and inside was a 32GB memory stick. The indexing chip was modified to show 2TB but in fact was a 32GB memory stick.

• Wow
Reactions: CalMin

T Coma

macrumors 6502a
Dec 3, 2015
Flyover Country, USA
I just got an ad from Stacksocial for something similar. There are some positive "verified purchase" reviews, but it certainly doesn't smell right. The read/write speeds seem to bear that out. Looks like flash drive speeds to me.

Screen Shot 2022-08-05 at 9.54.14 AM.png

In the "Terms" section it says, "All sales final." lol

arw

macrumors 65816
Aug 31, 2010
Wouldn't risk it at all.
The read/write speeds seem to bear that out. Looks like flash drive speeds to me
IF there was another zero at the end, then they would be plausible SSD speeds.
These are thumb drive speeds (little over USB 2.0).
He opened and inside was a 32GB memory stick. The indexing chip was modified to show 2TB but in fact was a 32GB memory stick.
This would be my guess in this case again.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.