Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Black Box

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 2, 2006
I'm trying (rather unsuccessfully) to burn a DVD that's playable in standard DVD players using Toast Titanium 7. After burning is complete, the disc seems to play just fine in my Mac's native DVD Player program...but that is not the case when it comes to your average run of the mill DVD player - like the one connected to my TV.

These are the specifics of what i've done in Toast: clicked on the Video menu, clicked onto the Formats menu and seleced "DVD-Video", "automatic" encloding, and video quality set on "better". I drag the video file i'm trying to burn (an .avi file), then hit the big red burn button and the encoding process begins. Oh, and i'm trying this on a G5 Tower 2.0 dual processor.

Any ideas of what i'm doing wrong? I'm a real novice when it comes to this stuff...any help would be awesome.

Moof1904

macrumors 65816
May 20, 2004
I won't speak to the file format and procedure issues, as I've not used Toast to burn DVDs, but it may be possible that you're doing everything correctly and your set top DVD player simply cannot play DVD-Rs. Have you succesfully played any DVD-R on this particular player and therefore know it's capable of doing so?

DrNeroCF

macrumors 6502
Sep 2, 2004
Is the one connected to your tv a cheap 40 buck player? It probably won't play them, then.

Which type are you burning? DVD-R, DVD+R, DVD-RW...? If you're using DVD+R or RW, I'd recommend DVD-R, if that doesn't work, look in your player's manual to make sure it supports burned media.

nordesmic

macrumors member
May 2, 2005
Adelaide, Australia
It seems as though that you have toast setup correctly from your procedure. The problem most likely lies with your player. Although the price of a player does not necessarily determine its ability to play burned discs. My player is a no name brand player and plays everything under the sun- particularly discs burned with Toast. Conversely these same discs don't work on many "good" players (Sony and Toshiba), probably because those companies are opposed to burnt media in an form.

I suggest you try videohelp.com. It's the best resource for anything regarding dvds and player compatability etc. You should be able to find your model and its ability to play certain discs. Of course the problem could also the media, but in my experience cheap and expensive media play the same anyways.

Black Box

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 2, 2006
Thanks for your comments everyone.

I'm almost certain the problem does not lie with the DVD player or the media. The discs i'm using are DVD-R's and I've used them to burn movies that have been playable in my two DVD players at home (one being a pretty decent Kenwood unit, the other my beloved Playstation 2).

The difference is I used iDVD to burn them. I know what you're thinking..."why not just stick with iDVD then?" Well it doesn't always work...the files have to be converted to Quicktime movies first...and there's no way to tell how far along it is in the encoding process. In other words, it's a hassle. Toast on the other hand seems to move right along with minimal hassle. It's just a shame the DVD's it produces don't work!

So in short, it seems likely the problem lies on the software end. Whether I've got a bad setting somewhere...or Toast needs and update...or the software itself just isnt designed to burn playable DVD's...who knows? With any luck, it's someone reading this post.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.