Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

bazzaric

macrumors member
Original poster
Mar 7, 2009
Hi Folks,

I'm going tot he east coast for 3 weeks and was hoping to get a sim for my 6+ to use while i'm there. Would really hope to get Data as I will be on long drives through Arizona, etc.

My phone is direct from Apple and unlocked. Can I just go in to a T-Mobile/AT&T store and pick up a sim with Data?

Do either have a store at LAX?

Appreciate any responses. This question seems to have been asked a few years ago around a 5/5S but not sure if anything has changed

AFEPPL

macrumors 68030
Sep 30, 2014
England
My experience and i travel to the US normally once a month, every month is SIM only is virtually impossible to find. You can get burner phones real easy or just turn off data and use WiFi only - lots of free hotspots.

alFR

macrumors 68030
Aug 10, 2006
When I was over there for 2 weeks this time last year with work I bought a PAYG Verizon 4G modem/wifi hotspot device because (as noted above) SIM only data plans are really hard to find/poor value. The device was about $79 with 3 gigs of data included, then you could add data to it as you wanted afterwards. Cheaper than hotel wifi for the 2 weeks and I could use it everywhere: of course it doesn't let you call at local rates but FaceTime took care of calling home for me. Might be worth thinking about: see here for their current model.

Shofar

macrumors member
Sep 12, 2013
England
I may be wrong here and others might be better equipped to help, but couldn't you take a pay as you go SIM from Three, top up and use calls and data while in the US through their Feel At Home agreement?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.