Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

lyutin

macrumors regular
Original poster
Sep 14, 2012
Brooklyn, NY
Coming from 7 plus I immediately noticed that the Xs screen is smaller and narrower. I’m within my 14 days and wondering what to do, I played with friend’s max and thought it was a bit too big, and a bit too awkward to maneuver and/or hold, especially for long periods of time. The other issue I found with the max was that it was a bit too heavy and because the screen is so big it’s harder to reach top of it in case I need to slide down the notifications or control panel, it wasn’t much of a hassle for me with the 7 plus. I commute to work via metro for about 30-40 mins each way and typically watch Netflix or showtime movies I download with other hand holding a cup of coffee.

So my question is to people that have the X or Xs and consume media and watch movies, how doeble is it? At the moment I’m still not used to the smaller screen maybe it’s the aspect ratio of these new devices, even though it fits in the hand like magic. One hand typing is back again xs also feel quicker then the xs max, even though the specs on them is identical, maybe more of psychological thing. Xr is not an option as I see that device as a downgrade. 6.1-6.2 inch screen would be actually awesome...

Reactions: one_tech

Vermifuge

macrumors 68020
Mar 7, 2009
Depends on the ratio of the film you are watching. 16:9 will look better on the 8 obviously. but a lot of movies are filmed in wider aspect ratios that will fit better on the X/Ms/Max

The.Glorious.Son

macrumors 68000
Sep 28, 2015
Chicago, IL
If you do a search you will find this has been discussed at great length given the size of the screen and aspect ratio have been known and used for over a year now. There are plenty of threads.

Short answer: If you are used to the size of 16:9 videos on the Plus, you will likely find the X/XS to feel small. The 19.5:9 is not as tall in landscape mode and often letterboxed. If you zoom to fill the screen you will crop all four sides of the video and lose content behind the notch.

C DM

macrumors Sandy Bridge
Oct 17, 2011
Coming from 7 plus I immediately noticed that the Xs screen is smaller and narrower. I’m within my 14 days and wondering what to do, I played with friend’s max and thought it was a bit too big, and a bit too awkward to maneuver and/or hold, especially for long periods of time. The other issue I found with the max was that it was a bit too heavy and because the screen is so big it’s harder to reach top of it in case I need to slide down the notifications or control panel, it wasn’t much of a hassle for me with the 7 plus. I commute to work via metro for about 30-40 mins each way and typically watch Netflix or showtime movies I download with other hand holding a cup of coffee.

So my question is to people that have the X or Xs and consume media and watch movies, how doeble is it? At the moment I’m still not used to the smaller screen maybe it’s the aspect ratio of these new devices, even though it fits in the hand like magic. One hand typing is back again xs also feel quicker then the xs max, even though the specs on them is identical, maybe more of psychological thing. Xr is not an option as I see that device as a downgrade. 6.1-6.2 inch screen would be actually awesome...
https://forums.macrumors.com/threads/do-you-watch-films-on-your-xs-max.2145226/

HandsomeDanNZ

macrumors 65816
Jan 29, 2008
Auckland NZ
I came from a 7Plus to a X.
I regularly watch video content on my X...as I did on my 7Plus

I haven't ever felt like I have lost screen real estate on my iPhone. I enjoy the better screen technology and the notch has all but disappeared for me, so that's not an issue.
Most movies I watch have been shot in wider format than 16:9, so when double-tapped to fill the screen, I feel like I am actually getting MORE than I was on the 7Plus.

Maybe it's just me, but that's my experience...and it has been for around a year.

Zaft

macrumors 601
Jun 16, 2009
Brooklyn, NY
Most content and shows are 16x9, so the max will be better. I had the X and missed the bigger screen on the 7 Plus for video. The max brings 16x9 video back to the Plus size video. Wide screen movies look even bigger on the max.

Reactions: JUCJ85

JUCJ85

macrumors 6502
Mar 29, 2011

I went from the 7+ to a XS Max, this is a reason I didn't upgrade in 2017 to the X, the lost real-estate, but with the 6.5 Inch Max it feels much better, much in line with a Plus model.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.