Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Codeseven

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Dec 31, 2008
Anyone using their iPP for playing and/or recording music?

I've been using my basic 16Gb iPad Air 1 for playing guitar while using amp/pedal modelers (BIAS,S-Gear,Mercuriall) and recording into a DAW (Aura,Multitrack DAW,Garageband).

The Air 1 has worked 'ok', so far. I definitely would prefer a larger screen (especially for manipulating DAW knobs and sliders) and I like the availability of more (ok, much more in comparison) power for multitrack recording and mastering.

I don't currently use an audio interface but want get either a Dock or stand alone interface. This is where I would think the iPP's USB 3.0 data speed capability could shine in handling multi port data flow on the interface.

Are any of you guys also using an audio interface?

A.R.E.A.M.

macrumors 6502
Nov 12, 2015
Los Angeles, California
ive an ipad pro 228gb lte. bought it instead of a google pixel c (to replace my aging nexus 9 lte) so i could specifically use auria pro.

i do compose music but i use all hardware and dont use the computer for anything other than video editing. i picked up auria pro just to be able to do some things whilst away from the main room.

i said that to say since this is my first ifruit product, and my first intro to making music on a tablet, i am waiting for the right interface, and that one i plan to use i the Arturia audiofuse, thats hopefully expected to ship end of year 2015.

Codeseven

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Dec 31, 2008
Thanks.

That Audiofuse interface looks incredibly useful, I say the more varying the ports an interface has the more flexibility it offers, I'm all for it. The specs on it look good too.

http://www.arturia.com/audiofuse/overview

Auria on my ol' Air 1 looks ok but it must look fantastic on iPP. I've always recorded on my 15" 2008 MBP using Reaper mostly (Guitar/Drums) with just about every port having something plugged into it. Just using Auria and Multitrack DAW on the Air but I need a good multiport audio interface.

I'm really looking forward to simplification and portability (my MBP is bulky and weighs a ton). The iPP looks to be a great first step in that direction.

Reactions: A.R.E.A.M.

nippyjun

macrumors 68000
Jul 26, 2007
Sort of on subject...
I'm look for a hardware interface for guitar/ipad that allows me to use a effects loop in my amp. So it would need a send and return jacks.
Thanks.

A.R.E.A.M.

macrumors 6502
Nov 12, 2015
Los Angeles, California
@Codeseven ,
good stuff bro. I know there are a million interfaces out there but that audiofuse looks great to me. again being new to this way of music making i want to get the latest and greatest.

Auria pro is really an excellent program. the dev did a great job with it. i dont have any prior experience with his older versions but from the posters over at his forum they are all happy for the upgrades.

until i get the interface, i wont do any real recording. i did get a audio technica usb mic (I use a Cad e200 and an old school AKG in the real world) and have just been getting my chops on.

for sure the ipad pro with its real estate does help. and it also helps the dev of auria pro has an ipad pro to work on as well.

@nippyjun ,

head over to gearslutz forum. there is a dedicated sub forum for these types of devices on android and ios...

Reactions: Codeseven

nippyjun

macrumors 68000
Jul 26, 2007
@Codeseven ,
good stuff bro. I know there are a million interfaces out there but that audiofuse looks great to me. again being new to this way of music making i want to get the latest and greatest.

Auria pro is really an excellent program. the dev did a great job with it. i dont have any prior experience with his older versions but from the posters over at his forum they are all happy for the upgrades.

until i get the interface, i wont do any real recording. i did get a audio technica usb mic (I use a Cad e200 and an old school AKG in the real world) and have just been getting my chops on.

for sure the ipad pro with its real estate does help. and it also helps the dev of auria pro has an ipad pro to work on as well.

@nippyjun ,

head over to gearslutz forum. there is a dedicated sub forum for these types of devices on android and ios...

Thanks.

Codeseven

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Dec 31, 2008
Well, now that Apple has released the Lightning to USB adapter with USB 3.0 speed capability it's time for me to buy an audio interface that can take full advantage of the iPP's hardware. RME, among several others, now make USB 3.0 Audio Interfaces.

https://forums.macrumors.com/thread...ader-with-usb-3-0-speeds-on-ipad-pro.1943292/

Overkill I know, but since I was going to buy an interface anyways I might as well not dumb it down :)

A.R.E.A.M.

macrumors 6502
Nov 12, 2015
Los Angeles, California
thanks for posting about the adapter. I have a standard usb to lightning one now. this new one can come in handy with other things, not just interfaces.

@Codeseven ,

share with the class what interface you are considering that has usb 3 speeds supported. i am still pretty much sold on the audiofuse i mentioned already due to its portability , and i have no intention on using the tablet when im near my hardware.

Codeseven

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Dec 31, 2008
Hi A.R.E.A.M (curious, what's that stand for?)

Ya, USB 3.0 will definitely have more use than just music.

The Audiofuse looks great, but even though its brand new it still is 'only' USB 2.0. I say 'only' because in reality 2.0 can handle the majority of home recording tasks just fine. That's why I mentioned that USB 3.0 really is 'overkill'.

All I currently have is an old Personus Firepod (Firewire 400). I've been wanting to replace it for quit awhile, hopefully with some more compact and portable, like the Audiofuse's form factor.

There are probably others but here are the ones I have looked at so far....

http://www.rme-audio.de/en/products/madiface_xt.php

RME are expensive but the good thing is that they develop their own drivers and don't use 3rd party drivers hoping they will work.

http://www.presonus.com/products/Studio-192

https://www.zoom-na.com/products/studio-recording/audio-interfaces/zoom-uac-2-usb-30-audio-converter

A.R.E.A.M.

macrumors 6502
Nov 12, 2015
Los Angeles, California
good stuff bro. thank you for educating me on this new world of audio recording. yeah the fuse is 2.0 but i can still use that new lightning connector (thanks for the hat tip on that)to transfer files with external flash drives, so thats cool.

i am quite impressed with what one can do these days on these tablets! keep this thread updated as you learn more...

Codeseven

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Dec 31, 2008
good stuff bro. thank you for educating me on this new world of audio recording. yeah the fuse is 2.0 but i can still use that new lightning connector (thanks for the hat tip on that)to transfer files with external flash drives, so thats cool.

i am quite impressed with what one can do these days on these tablets! keep this thread updated as you learn more...

Your welcome A.R.E.A.M.

I'd like to think I know what I'm talking about but truthfully it's just information I've gleaned off of internet searches :)

A.R.E.A.M.

macrumors 6502
Nov 12, 2015
Los Angeles, California
Hey bro @Codeseven ,

I'd also like to think you know what you're talking about too! :) and re-sharing info you located on sits I may never visit is awesome!

Still trying to wrap my head around apps such audiobus and "in app audio"...

Codeseven

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Dec 31, 2008
If it's ok here to do so....

For iOS music apps and recording two of the websites I've been frequenting lately are VGuitarForums, especially their 'General Discussion' forum and 'Related Gear' Forums. Anything posted by a guy that goes by Elantric contains tons of great info. The other is MusicAppBlog, great reviews and articles.

http://www.vguitarforums.com/smf/index.php

http://www.musicappblog.com

Codeseven

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Dec 31, 2008
Awesome sauce @Codeseven . Many thanks for the Intel ....

Your welcome.

Tons of information spred amongst the pages of those two websites and many others most likely. Music production and recording on iOS is hugely popular and rapidly growing. Both hardware companies and app developers have embraced this movement and it will only get better. The iPad Pro will no doubt be in the forefront of that field.

vinylretina

macrumors member
Dec 6, 2015
One of the few advantages I can see to having an iPad Pro over a non-Pro. I have an iPad Air 2, and don't get me wrong, I love the heck out of it...but that screen is insane. However, my only thing is that I also use my iPad for a lot of other things and it is my ultra handy go-to because of it's portability. It would be amazing to have all of that screen area for music apps. Typically when I'm just jamming, I hook up my interface to my iPad because it's frankly a lot easier to manipulate "pedals" and such with the touch screen rather than finger f*cking a trackpad to try and turn a knob.

Reactions: Codeseven
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.