Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

superman666

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jun 25, 2007
Hey,
I really want to buy UT2004 and there are no stores in my area that sell mac games, besides the apple store, and the apple store doesn't sell it. So the only other options I have are to buy it online (don't want to wait), or purchase the PC version. Now this link tells me I can do that
( http://lowetechlabs.com/UT2004-WIN2OSX/ )
I really want to make sure it would work, so any of you could confirm that it works, I would really appreciate it.

Thanks

lag1090

macrumors 6502
Jan 28, 2007
NJ
Not to sound like the intellectual property police or anything, but using the Mac demo with the PC version's contents seems kinda shady. Sure, you paid for the game, but not for the Mac version. MacSoft developed the Mac version, while Atari developed the original PC version. It's a simple matter of where the money's going. If you don't feel like you have a moral obligation to pay for the version you'll actually be using, the method seems like it would work.

superman666

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jun 25, 2007
Ok well I tried it. I bought the PC game (Unreal Anthology). I went through the whole guide, and it ended up that the application was 'currupted' or 'messed up'... i forgot lol and it didn't work at all. So i'm like WOW, i just wasted like a crap load of time doing this.

Than, because my friend has the game, I copied it to my comp, and all I had to do was change the CDKEY in the systems folder to mine and it worked. So I'm pretty sure that's all you need to do.

If you don't have a friend with the game I would either buy the Mac version, or find a torrent for the game (not reccomended obviously) and change the CDKEY

torchwood04

macrumors regular
Jul 7, 2007
Edit:
Not to sound like the intellectual property police or anything, but using the Mac demo with the PC version's contents seems kinda shady. Sure, you paid for the game, but not for the Mac version. MacSoft developed the Mac version, while Atari developed the original PC version. It's a simple matter of where the money's going. If you don't feel like you have a moral obligation to pay for the version you'll actually be using, the method seems like it would work.
Oh, ooops, I forgot about that. I'll quit responding, and I'll clear my posts..

jeojoejoe

macrumors newbie
Aug 1, 2007
Ok well I tried it. I bought the PC game (Unreal Anthology). I went through the whole guide, and it ended up that the application was 'currupted' or 'messed up'... i forgot lol and it didn't work at all. So i'm like WOW, i just wasted like a crap load of time doing this.

Than, because my friend has the game, I copied it to my comp, and all I had to do was change the CDKEY in the systems folder to mine and it worked. So I'm pretty sure that's all you need to do.

If you don't have a friend with the game I would either buy the Mac version, or find a torrent for the game (not reccomended obviously) and change the CDKEY

Works fine for me. Did you do the following in the update on the page?

Step 5. Rename the alias

I neglected this important part. In addition to renaming the .app to "Unreal Tournament 2004" from "Unreal Tournament 2004 Demo", you have to do the same to an alias within the .app package. So go ahead and navigate inside the Unreal Tournament 2004.app and go to /Contents/MacOS folder. There will be a file there. It is an alias for the actual executable which is /system/ut-2004-bin. Remove the "Demo" from the end of the name of the alias. It should now just say "Unreal Tournament 2004", just like the .app file. All should work fine and run by now. At this point, you really are done.

If you do not rename this alias, you'll get a message saying:
You cannot open the application "Unreal Tournament 2004.app" because it may be damaged or incomplete.

Also, I'm not lawyer, but I'm just curious... why would this be at all illegal? I mean, is there something in the DMCA that says this is wrong?

torchwood04

macrumors regular
Jul 7, 2007
It is likely illegal, because MacSoft invested money to port Unreal 2004 to Mac OS X, and copying the Windows version files to the mac demo is kind of fishy.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.