Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

machenryr

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jan 25, 2016
I use to use this utility that archived titles of documents located on various zip and floppies. Can’t remember what it was called but it had an icon of a blue mouse. Obviously I haven’t used floppies or Zip drives in a couple of decades but something like that would be very useful for locating data, documents, files on the many drives I have. I know there’s something like this. It’ll scan and make a document of its contents. What does this? Thanks in advance.

I’m on Monterey.

Schismz

macrumors 6502
Sep 4, 2010
Easyfind is super handy/small. Download + also on app store: EasyFind - its basically just a GUI for find.

Terminal is usually great, you can run find in a shell across all filesystems mounted if you're looking for any specific thing, you can pipe the results to a text file. You can run cat and pipe through grep, mdfind is kinda ehh, in my humble experience spotlight is, well, there it is, but the word "good" does not come to mind.

Theophilos

macrumors regular
Jul 29, 2015
California
I recommend FoxTrot for creating an index of any location and allowing you to execute powerful searches on that index. I think it’s one of the marquee apps for Mac.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.