Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

DominikHoffmann

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jan 15, 2007
Indiana
My UTM-VM boot drive has run out of space. I’d like to take it from 128 GB to 192 GB. How can I do that?

Screenshot 2023-10-30 at 9.51.46 AM.png

Bigwaff

Contributor
Sep 20, 2013
UTM does not support resizing disk images formatted with APFS.

You actually have a complicated situation here. With APFS disk images you have to increase the size of the disk image and then increase the size of the APFS container in the image .. just like you would with a real formatted disk .. however, your situation is complicated by how macOS formats a APFS boot volume. Your image will have multiple APFS containers in a Volume Group -- Macintosh HD (system), Macintosh HD (system snapshot), Macintosh HD - Data, and Recovery. What you want is to increase the size of the disk image so you can increase the size of the Data container w/out impacting the other containers, which may not be possible depending on how the container locations are assigned.

The easiest and most straight forward option is to back up any data in the current image, create a new, larger image, reinstall macOS in the larger image, and migrate your backed up data to the new image. The larger image will have a larger Data container.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.