Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

thebluepotato

macrumors member
Original poster
Aug 7, 2012
Switzerland
Hi!

I haven't tested Catalina yet but I know that uTorrent hasn't been updated to 64 bit, even though multiple users warned them and they replied with their standard "yeah we wanted to do that a few years ago but there are no speed improvements so why do 64 bit at all".

Are there good alternatives in terms of usability and design? E.g. ease of use (or better) than uTorrent with the design of IINA?

loekf

macrumors 6502a
Mar 23, 2015
Nijmegen, The Netherlands
Hi!

I haven't tested Catalina yet but I know that uTorrent hasn't been updated to 64 bit, even though multiple users warned them and they replied with their standard "yeah we wanted to do that a few years ago but there are no speed improvements so why do 64 bit at all".

Are there good alternatives in terms of usability and design? E.g. ease of use (or better) than uTorrent with the design of IINA?

qtbittorrent or transmission

qtbittorrent has the issue that you have to self sign the app otherwise you get a popup to allow incoming connections to the firewall each time you start the app. Not sure about transmission. Furthermore, there's the issue of "notarization" (a check by Apple on malicious code) in Catalina, even for non-appstore apps. Not sure how this works with Gatekeeper. Rumors are that only new apps require it.

netsrot39

macrumors 6502
Feb 7, 2018
Austria
You could run the Windows version of uTorrent in Wine (yes I know this isn't the best option but it works for me). Also there is Folx which seems to work fine as well.

cpenner

macrumors regular
Aug 19, 2013
qBittorrent has worked flawlessly for me so far in Catalina. I tried Transmission when I left uTorrent a number of years ago too, but I much prefer qBittorrent. In addition to regular downloading, the RSS feeds and Remote Server accessible with a Web UI work great for my needs

idktbh

macrumors regular
Oct 3, 2018
god both transmission and qbitorrent are awfully slow compared to utorrent... how do you hide the speed stats on the qb icon?

MacClueless

macrumors 6502
Jun 21, 2006
Hi!

QbTorrent is great... Transmission is good if you're a n00b, but I don't think it'll support SOCKS5.

barbaraDveg

macrumors newbie
Jun 10, 2019
Hi!

I would personally recommend BitTorrent or vuze. Vuze is actually my preferred typical use software for day to day downloads you know. You gotta have that one guy you play favorites with. But considing utorrent is your regular, BitTorrent would be more up your alley. But hey you never know.

racerhomie

macrumors 6502
Aug 14, 2015
India
Hi!

Transmission is excellent.
[doublepost=1560349728][/doublepost]I have been using Transmission since 2015. Its an excellent piece of software.

Reactions: jeyf and olad

Crash0veride

macrumors regular
Oct 10, 2016
Cincinnati
qbittorrent is my preferred and the only one I know that let's you choose a network interface to route the traffic over (VPN). It worked better in every way to utorrent (my go to client for years before 2017) for me. Transmission is nice, but I've had IP leaks over SOCKS5 in programs before and prefer to use openvpn.

steve62388

macrumors 68040
Apr 23, 2013
Transmission I think it's the only torent client that it's working on Catalina, I tried bittorent and it doesn't work....Transmission it's very fast

in the Catalina working apps thread it says Transmission crashes on completing a download. Can you confirm?

lolasher

macrumors member
Aug 1, 2014
in the Catalina working apps thread it says Transmission crashes on completing a download. Can you confirm?
I used Transmission on all betas and it never crashed. I guess maybe its something with new permissions system, downloading to ~/Downloads works fine for me, maybe someone tried to save somewhere Transmission wasn't allowed to.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.