Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Hot Orange

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 6, 2006
So I managed to buy the gorgeous 20" ACD and wondered why I haven't done so sooner! And after looking around for a bit I managed to download the WinACD drivers that enabled me to use the display with Bootcamp/Windows XP with the correct resolution on my macbook.

However, I haven't been as successfull with my desktop replacement PC; Vaio A600 with ATI Radeon X600 graphics card. The laptop comes with only a VGA port, but I thought that a simple VGA Male - DVI Female would do the trick since the graphics card seems capable of running the ACD (and this setup would naturally allow me to connect the ACD DVI male cable to the DVI female port).

Unfortunately that didn't work! And downloading the WinACD doesn't do much simply because the problem here isn't a mismatching resolution, but rather that the monitor isn't recognized at all on the machine. I played with the different settings of the X600 (setting different resolutions; setting an option to be able to switch between different displays, etc) with no luck. The signal simply doesn't want to go to the ACD. It could be the VGA-DVI connector, but I don't see why since the graphics card seem to be more important.

There's of course the possibility that I would need an ADC, but I hope not since those are expensive.

Any help would be appreciated :).

RichP

macrumors 68000
Jun 30, 2003
Motor City
That type of connector will not work whatsoever. You need a videocard with DVI out.

I highly doubt you can get a VGA to DVI converter, and even if you could, it would probably cost more than a new video card.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.