Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Collin973

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Mar 29, 2006
I have a 12" Powerbook with a 1 ghz G4 processor, 512mb, 40 gb, combo drive, tiger. Only about a square inch of the top case has some noticiably scratches. Can any one tell me what a selling price would be for it?

Thanks!
--CP

T-Stex

macrumors 6502
Jan 15, 2006
Pennsylvania
Based only on what you've written here, I'd guess somewhere around $600-$700. It seems like (at least on MR) everyone's been trying to get rid of the 12" PowerBook since the MacBooks have been released. I was thinking about jumping on that boat, but I think I might keep my PowerBook for use when I just need to surf the web, write papers, listen to iTunes, etc. Then, I'll get an iMac as my primary computer. But who knows. I love my PowerBook, and as of now, I'm glad I haven't gone with the MacBook.

Anyway, back on topic. Since the MacBooks have come out and start at only $1100, it's going to be tough to sell a less powerful, used notebook for anything close to that. I've seen top of the line 12" PowerBooks with AppleCare remaining go for $900-$1000, so I wouldn't expect to get more than $700. If you do decide to sell, I'd try eBay, as (in my experience) prices there seem to be inflated a fair amount.

IJ Reilly

macrumors P6
Jul 16, 2002
Palookaville
The best way to determine the market value for any used Mac is to search eBay for it, then click on the "completed auctions" box. Based on recent discussions about the value of 12" PowerBooks, I'd estimate a resale value of $450-550 for yours, depending on condition and completeness.

Abstract

macrumors Penryn
Dec 27, 2002
Location Location Location
Those 12" Powerbooks are still selling for more than they should be. In Australia, a MB with educational discount costs around $1550 AUD. I got my 12" PB for $2000 AUD (educational discount as well). However, it's 3 years old, has scratches, and a dead battery. I might still get $800-850 or something for it. It's on eBay right now with 2 days remaining on the auction, and I'm going to get at least $610 for it. I expect more than that, of course. :)

IJ Reilly

macrumors P6
Jul 16, 2002
Palookaville
Abstract said:
Those 12" Powerbooks are still selling for more than they should be.

Really? Who says? So long as Apple doesn't offer a new laptop in this size range, the 12" PowerBooks are going to have their devotees.

Demon Hunter

macrumors 68020
Mar 30, 2004
IJ Reilly said:
Really? Who says? So long as Apple doesn't offer a new laptop in this size range, the 12" PowerBooks are going to have their devotees.

Yes, Macs always get more than they "should." :)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.