Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Chiggs

macrumors member
Original poster
Jan 4, 2007
Any input on the value of a Brand New, Sealed In Box 1st edition Apple iPod? I've been looking for one for a while as a collectors item and finally found one on E-Bay.

I've bid it up to almost $400 but still under the reserve. I've sent the seller an E-Mail asking what the reserve is but wanted some thoughts from the forumn. I think I'd be willing to go up to $500 or so...

Interesting that it's over the original selling price...

http://cgi.ebay.com/New-Sealed-Box-...7QQihZ018QQcategoryZ67835QQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

reubs

macrumors 68000
Jun 22, 2006
While this would be neat to have, I'm not sure what the point of it being NIB would be. It's not like a collectible toy...it's technology that will just lose value over time. however, something is only worth what someone else will pay for it...

Good luck.

xfiftyfour

macrumors 68030
Apr 14, 2006
Clemson, SC
While this would be neat to have, I'm not sure what the point of it being NIB would be. It's not like a collectible toy...it's technology that will just lose value over time. however, something is only worth what someone else will pay for it...

Good luck.

At this point, it's not the technology that someone is bidding on - it's the sentimental value. Collectors pay top-dollar for items like this.. not to use, but to have. I wouldn't be surprised if someday this type of thing is worth QUITE a bit of money..

reubs

macrumors 68000
Jun 22, 2006
At this point, it's not the technology that someone is bidding on - it's the sentimental value. Collectors pay top-dollar for items like this.. not to use, but to have. I wouldn't be surprised if someday this type of thing is worth QUITE a bit of money..

You think so? I've never been a collector of electronic stuff...just sports cards and stuff, but I guess that if there is a market out there people will pay for it. I'm just speaking as someone from the outside looking in.

Lancetx

macrumors 68000
Aug 11, 2003
I saw one of these NIB sell on eBay for around $350 several months back. Geez, I can't imagine what this one is going to finish at if it's already at $380 with 6 days still remaining in the auction.

me hate windows

macrumors 6502
Jan 18, 2002
Last month someone had one up and it went for just over $260. I would pass on this and just try to find one later.

synth3tik

macrumors 68040
Oct 11, 2006
Minneapolis, MN
A first Gen iPod NiB, (although it reminds me of picking up my first Gen within the first week and being the coolest kid on the block), anyway. Having a perfect condition iPod for a collection is cool, having one NiB will be painful, as far as the price, and the need to open it.

mikehalloran

macrumors 68020
Oct 14, 2018
The Sillie Con Valley
Old thread, same question. What’s a 1st gen 5 GB iPod NIB worth today?
The answer never changes:

Whatever someone is willing to pay. The trick is always to find the one willing to pay the most, right?

When a collector pays an outrageous price, then that person now has one. What was the second highest bid and who was making the offer?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.