Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Huntn

macrumors Core
Original poster
May 5, 2008
The Misty Mountains
Many of us loved Vampire: The Masquerade Bloodlines when it released in 2004, 15 years ago. I just finished my second play through of this game, although dated, it holds up very well because of the characters, the atmosphere, and the great music. In fact you can still play this game on Steam and COG with the help of an unofficial patch. It was fun, again! :D
https://store.steampowered.com/app/2600/Vampire_The_Masquerade__Bloodlines/

VTMB_800x600.jpg

Jeanette at the Asylum.jpg
Jeanette at the Asylum

Vampire Hearing.jpg
A Vampire Hearing at the beginning of the story​

The good news hopefully is that a sequel is being worked on and is schedule to release in the first half of 2020. The real question I think that is on everyone's mind who played the original, will it pay homage to the original Bloodlines, and more importantly, will it be as good? I found one brief video about Thin Bloods online but it did not impress me. Fingers crossed we'll start seeing some decent content in the near future.
https://www.bloodlines2.com

Vampire-The-Masquerade-Bloodlines-2.jpg

Huntn

macrumors Core
Original poster
May 5, 2008
The Misty Mountains
I played this on so long ago so I don't remember very much about it. But the thing I do remember is I freaked out sometimes while playing this. Hope the new release also be mind-blowing. Thinking about playing it again :rolleyes:
With fingers crossed, I’m planning on being disappointed, there is such a high bar when compared to Bloodlines.

Huntn

macrumors Core
Original poster
May 5, 2008
The Misty Mountains
Expected sometime this year. However, before I buy it, I’ll wait for some reviews. It’s currently available to preorder, $59, $69, $79 from Steam, GOG, Epic, and Paradox. The two more expensive versions include 2 story packs. So are they luring you buy extra content up front? Maybe. I’ll wait for the reviews. I wonder if there is any advantage buying from GOG vs Steam?

Last edited:

Huntn

macrumors Core
Original poster
May 5, 2008
The Misty Mountains
Just looked at Vampire The Masquerade Coteries of New York and there is zero animation as far as I can tell. It really is a visual novel, duh... I'm not a fan of the art work, so I'll pass.

Here is a review:
Honestly: Just a slideshow. Whatever you do, it won't matter. Also it's a rather boring story. Lest you are a super-fan, stay away from it.

txa1265

macrumors 65816
Aug 15, 2002
Corning, NY
Just looked at Vampire The Masquerade Coteries of New York and there is zero animation as far as I can tell. It really is a visual novel, duh... I'm not a fan of the art work, so I'll pass.

Here is a review:
Honestly: Just a slideshow. Whatever you do, it won't matter. Also it's a rather boring story. Lest you are a super-fan, stay away from it.

Yeah - very important to know what you are getting with 'VtM:Coteries' ... which is definitely not a Bloodlines type experience :)

I have played Bloodlines a huge amount of times ... every class, both genders for most, but my fave still has to be female Tremere (blood sorcerer), female as it tweaks some of the dialogs and reactions. I played again at the end of last year, will likely go at it again before Bloodlines 2 arrives.

Have you played VtM: Redemption? It isn't as good and IMO shows its age even more, but has a solid backbone and overall fun experience.

Huntn

macrumors Core
Original poster
May 5, 2008
The Misty Mountains
Yeah - very important to know what you are getting with 'VtM:Coteries' ... which is definitely not a Bloodlines type experience :)

I have played Bloodlines a huge amount of times ... every class, both genders for most, but my fave still has to be female Tremere (blood sorcerer), female as it tweaks some of the dialogs and reactions. I played again at the end of last year, will likely go at it again before Bloodlines 2 arrives.

Have you played VtM: Redemption? It isn't as good and IMO shows its age even more, but has a solid backbone and overall fun experience.

Referencing the original game, I like Tremere, but Malkavian (female) is my favorite, the look and the vocabulary.

731E2078-B2C4-42F7-B7D5-9F10FAE128AC.jpeg

CA8D83EE-94E3-4B8C-A211-2AD2D1B9B29B.jpeg

Jeanette Voerman would be the number one Malkavian in the game, but curiously, she does not speak like the player’s Malkavian character. I love just about every character in the original game (like Kilpatrick) and the interactions you can have with them. There are so many nice touches this game has.

For Bloodlines 2, it looks like all of the clans are back: https://www.pcgamesn.com/vampire-the-masquerade-bloodlines-2/clans

Reactions: txa1265

Huntn

macrumors Core
Original poster
May 5, 2008
The Misty Mountains
Brought from another thread, these are comments about the original game, Bloodlines.
Spoilers so be warned, equality explains why Vampire Masquerade: Bloodlines remains to be one of the best RPG games ever produced...

Q-6

Great video, I agree with everything, pick up a flame thrower for the China Town boss fight. However I remember on one of my play thoughs, I could stand in a recessed nook and plink the boss to death. Yes, the combat is really basic. The first boss you meet in Santa Monica in a warehouse, my goal has always been to keep my distance, ranged combat with a pistol, or hit and run with the katana.

I did not take advantage of the Thin-bloods, Jeanette‘s boyfriend looked like Kevin Bacon, I was a vampire and the Ocean House Hotel still spooks me. Now I know where everything happens there, but the atmosphere, I still get shivers when light bulbs explode, chandeliers fall, a riot of flying pots and pans, or I see spectral forms out of the corner of my eye. It’s subtle but well done.

A common theme in my posts here, I am apprehensive about how much V2 will pay homage to the original as far as atmosphere and even music. In those areas it’s one of a kind experience. I love the radio talk and all of the characters.

Last edited:
Reactions: Queen6

Feek

macrumors 65816
Nov 9, 2009
JO01
My boy paid about £80 for a pre-order of the alleged new version of this a couple of years ago and he still seems to think it’ll happen eventually.

I suspect he’s lost his money on this vapourware.

• Sad
Reactions: Huntn

vladi

macrumors 6502a
Jan 30, 2010
They really fudged up this one. Such a shame as the original is one of the best video games ever created.

txa1265

macrumors 65816
Aug 15, 2002
Corning, NY
Vampire: The Masquerade Swansong (2022)- You can never go home. This latest version Is being panned...

Ugh, I have that on my IsThereAnyDeal wishlist ... maybe when it is $5 or less. I had low expectations but as always hoped to be wrong!

I tried playing Bloodlines on the Steam Deck and well, it wasn't going to happen without some Proton trickery I didn't feel like doing at the moment. :(

Huntn

macrumors Core
Original poster
May 5, 2008
The Misty Mountains
My boy paid about £80 for a pre-order of the alleged new version of this a couple of years ago and he still seems to think it’ll happen eventually.

I suspect he’s lost his money on this vapourware.

The last note I see is Feb 2021, about switching development teams. That game is reported to be set in Seattle as compared to Boston for Swansong. No, I am not holding my breath. 🥲

Ugh, I have that on my IsThereAnyDeal wishlist ... maybe when it is $5 or less. I had low expectations but as always hoped to be wrong!

I tried playing Bloodlines on the Steam Deck and well, it wasn't going to happen without some Proton trickery I didn't feel like doing at the moment. :(
Even though it is dated now, Bloodlines still plays well enough* to be acceptable, while it was great in it’s time, the atmosphere and characters are wonderful. This Swansong game is described as a “narrative” game, so is that like the previous Coteries of New York which I never played? My impression there, it is a slide show, that you click on choices for your character, but you are not in direct control and reported that choices make no difference if that is important to the player.

*An unofficial online patch is needed and should be available. Check the Steam Community forum for a link. I last played it on Windows 10.

Last edited:

txa1265

macrumors 65816
Aug 15, 2002
Corning, NY
Even though it is dated now, Bloodlines still plays well enough* to be acceptable, while it was great in its time, the atmosphere and characters are wonderful.

Bloodlines remains one of my top all-time games. While its’ Source implementation doesn’t get the loving updates that Half-Life 2 does, it is as you say very playable still - played it last year on my MS Surface Pro … but since the Steam Deck dominates my gaming time I’d hoped for that - but I know people have made it work so once I get through some current games I’ll put some time into it!

• Love

Huntn

macrumors Core
Original poster
May 5, 2008
The Misty Mountains
Jan 2024-Significant delays, a change in developer, which I view as catastrophic, now shooting for a 2024 release.
The Chinese Room confirmed that Bloodlines 2's customizable protagonist Phyre breaks the newborn vampire tradition by having players start out as an experienced Elder. *We also know that the game will center around the Boston Camarilla – that is, the vampiric council of Seattle, Washington, where Phyre awakens after centuries of slumber.
*Boston Camarilla, set in Seattle? 🤔

In the original game, the character is a new born vampire who has to learn, gain experience and skills, basically mold a build. Also by virtue of clan you have 3 set disciplines at your disposal, but all other skill branches are open to you. In this sequel you enter the game as an Elder who has been asleep for a century (or more?) so I would imagine you’d already have a skill set. Yet there appears to be an angle of being weakened and a mysterious mark on your hand, so it will be interesting to see what build options you have.

Last edited:

txa1265

macrumors 65816
Aug 15, 2002
Corning, NY
Jan 2024-Significant delays, a change in developer, which I view as catastrophic, now shooting for a 2024 release.
As the game was considered cancelled until the announcement last year, I take the changes as a positive - but with the caveat that my expectations for the previously announced version were very very very low. Nothing I had seen made me thing we were TRULY getting a 'Bloodlines 2' in the full sense, but I have hoped it would be better than 'Risen 2' (let's turn our fantasy RPG into a Pirate game! yay!). I pre-ordered so it sits in my GoG library (well before there was a Steam Deck, ugh) and they made it clear the pre-order translates.

My expectation at this point is a 30 hour game with limited dialogue and role-playing options with tightly controlled branching. More of an action-adventure with RPG elements.

Huntn

macrumors Core
Original poster
May 5, 2008
The Misty Mountains
As the game was considered cancelled until the announcement last year, I take the changes as a positive - but with the caveat that my expectations for the previously announced version were very very very low. Nothing I had seen made me thing we were TRULY getting a 'Bloodlines 2' in the full sense, but I have hoped it would be better than 'Risen 2' (let's turn our fantasy RPG into a Pirate game! yay!). I pre-ordered so it sits in my GoG library (well before there was a Steam Deck, ugh) and they made it clear the pre-order translates.

My expectation at this point is a 30 hour game with limited dialogue and role-playing options with tightly controlled branching. More of an action-adventure with RPG elements.
Catastrophic in that it equaled significant delays, but better than cancelled if the end product is worthy. :) The clips of the game I’ve seen are ok/good as far as what is there. I’ll definitely be in wait and see mode, no pre-ordering for me, let the reviews role in for a while. :)

The aspect of being an elder concerns me a bit. Most RPGs have the character start as new, inexperienced and build from there. As a new player who does not know anything, you are playing an elder, who would have vast experience, but you the player may not, even as a former VTMB player.

My impression is that this is addressed in the game by virtue of this mentioned/featured mark on your hand, you re not at full power? I guess and oh, somehow you are bound to a Thin Blood (not sure if that is physically or spiritually) who is from the modern world, so he can guide you. This remains to be seen how it works out.

txa1265

macrumors 65816
Aug 15, 2002
Corning, NY
Apparently the Ender concept pre-dates The China Room involvement ... but I agree that it feels weird and limiting in terms of role playing (you're re-gaining lost powers rather than building from zero). Also the 'voice in your head' is very tricky - I liked how it worked with Keanu Reeves in CP2077, but feels like it could go off the rails.

The early videos last year were not exactly thrilling, but more recent stuff has bolstered my confidence (starting at 0 anything is good). I still anticipate a 6/10 game at best.

Pre-orders are interesting - in general I have stopped, becoming more of a 'patient gamer' and not buying most things until significant sales kick in. But because I loved the original and the studio collapsed in large part due to Valve's forcing it to be pushed out for 6 months ... I decided to help out with the upfront interest. Then THAT studio fell apart!

Huntn

macrumors Core
Original poster
May 5, 2008
The Misty Mountains
Apparently the Ender concept pre-dates The China Room involvement ... but I agree that it feels weird and limiting in terms of role playing (you're re-gaining lost powers rather than building from zero). Also the 'voice in your head' is very tricky - I liked how it worked with Keanu Reeves in CP2077, but feels like it could go off the rails.

The early videos last year were not exactly thrilling, but more recent stuff has bolstered my confidence (starting at 0 anything is good). I still anticipate a 6/10 game at best.

Pre-orders are interesting - in general I have stopped, becoming more of a 'patient gamer' and not buying most things until significant sales kick in. But because I loved the original and the studio collapsed in large part due to Valve's forcing it to be pushed out for 6 months ... I decided to help out with the upfront interest. Then THAT studio fell apart!
I love CP2077, and Johnny Silverhand being in my head, as this was explained and executed very well. Note, I don’t like the execution of the Phantom Liberty DLC though. Getting picky in my old age. VTMB2 remains very much up in the air at this point as to whether a solid landing or splat! :)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.