Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Huntn

macrumors Core
Original poster
May 5, 2008
The Misty Mountains
Jeanette Asylum 3.jpg

IMG_3128.png
What do we have here? Another scrumptious plaything straight-out of life and into my club?
You.smell new little girl, like fabric softener dew on freshly mowed Astroturf.
Ooh, I'm not frightening you, am I duckling?

Not the new Vampire Masquerade 2024 V2 not yet released, (by current reports questionable), but the original 2004 one.

Note: This post was cleaned up, correcting some inaccuries.

Mac info: I’m not familiar if there is more than one way to run this without Windows or Windows simulation, but if someone knows I’d be happy to add that info here. Someone in this forum circa 2010 and 2011 talked about running it on their Macs. If anyone has updated info for Macs, will be happy to add it here and change the prefix on this thread.

Anyway after playing it about 2010, then 2019, and 2021, @Queen6 got me interested in the VTMB Overhaul Mod Over at Nexas Mods. It does a good job of updating textures but can run into game engine issues when the texture load becomes too large. So I elected not to use it, but it got me back into the game again! 🙂

Some call VTMB one of the best RPGs ever created. Yes, by today’s standards it’s a bit dated, but it’s highly immersive, visually appealing, great voice acting, Frick’n Chicken!, still a lot of fun. :D

However the game, although excellent is dated by today’s standards. It still makes for a memorable experience, with colorful characters, and if you want to indulge, you can buy this at GOG.com DRM free, or at Steam which technically has DRM, but for this game running it under the Unofficial Patch which is a requirement, the game runs basically DRM free. I’d check for sales. You can move the game install out of the Steam folder structure without any issues that I am aware of.

It comes from GOG.com with the Unofficial Parch installed, However, if you buy it from Steam, the essential Unofficial Patch must be installed seperately. Not a big deal.

Fresh Install Steps:
  • Purchase and install it from Gog.com or under Steam.
  • If purchased from Steam, install the latest unofficial patch. It’s an .exe file. Point it the VTMB game folder which adds the “unofficial patch” folder at the root (top) level. I selected the 2 extras that come with it. Just don’t ask me what they do. 😝
  • At this point you can run the game, but use the Launcher.exe found inside the Unofficial Patch folder, and choose “unofficial patch”.

Last edited:
Reactions: Queen6

Huntn

macrumors Core
Original poster
May 5, 2008
The Misty Mountains
Note about this post: this info used to be part of post one. It was originally included after I had installed the overhaul mod, but had not yet run into problems as described below in the warning paragraph. So I separated this from the first post, added the cautions, but kept the info about installing the mod. And at this point, I don’t recommend using it because the textures that come with the unofficial patch are frankly good enough imo, to enjoy the experience. Installing the upgraded textures represent a lot of effort with minimal improvement. Although, my understanding is that there are texture packs in the 2 GB range that run without issue. The overhaul mod runs in the 10 GB range which can overload the game engine. I recommend installing the game with the unofficial patch and see how it strikes you and then look at the comparison images that have been posted in this thread to determine if upgrading textures is worth the effort or not.

Warning about the Overhaul Mod
The overhaul mod can be added to upgrade the game textures. You may or may not run into problems that may not appear right away. With the Overhaul Mod, I ran into a problem, Downtown LA trying to enter the Skylines Apt (Map load). The game consistently crashed to desktop. I can’t say it is a universal problem because (my impression) this mod is being used without issues Firvsome people. The game engine has a limit regarding textures size before it starts crashing. When I removed the 10GB High Def textures (Materials folder) replaced by the approx 80MB textures that come with the Unofficial Patch, the problem was resolved, and honestly I see no significant difference in the graphics or the atmosphere of the game.

Unofficial Patch Warning: The Unofficial patch continues to be updated even though this game is 20 years old. Observe the warning that changing the version of the Unofficial Patch, might require restarting the game, ie, a new game, as current saved games might not work with this change. This would only apply if you are starting an update of the game with an existing install, want to update the Unofficial Patch, and relying on existing saves. Frankly the Unofficial Patch was adequate in 2019, so if your copy of the UP works, I see no reason to upgrade it when a new version is released.

Instructions to install Overhaul mod:
  • As an extra, you can apply the VTMB overhaul mod. About 10Gb of HD textures.It is a .zip file. I see no way this can be applied in one step. @Queen6 might be able to offer better instructions as he had dived deep into working with mods. Just nite, this mod
  • Over at Nexus Mods, from this mod page, under files, I chose an optional file: Full Texture Separation which includes textures and models. I prefer the original music, so went with this.
  • After downloading and unzipping it to a folder you will find a “Texture Separation “ folder and inside that a “ Materials” and a “Model” folder with the new textures. Leave this folder open.
  • Open the Vampire Masquerade Bloodlines game folder. If purchased from Steam, you’ll look for the game in your Steam install- STEAM>SteamApps>Common>Vampire The Masquerade.
  • Open the Unofficial Patch folder. There you will see both the material and models folders which are the target folders to move the new textures from the mod, into and in the process replace the textures that came as part of the Unofficial Patch.
  • Drag the new Texture folder (from the mod folder) into the Unofficial Patch folder, being sure to drop it on a blank space. There Windows will see that there is another texture folder and will combine them. Important: when asked to “overwrite duplicate files” say yes. It will look that the process has started, however it could be a minute before Windows asks about “overwriting duplicate files” Say… Yes.
  • Repeat the above with the Model Folder.
  • Ready to play, launch the game from the Launcher.exe located inside the Unofficial Patch folder and select Unofficial Patch as the choice.

Last edited:

Huntn

macrumors Core
Original poster
May 5, 2008
The Misty Mountains
Quest Spoiler
Fun With Pestilence
(Downtown LA)
Anyone know if some quest lines have been shortened in the more recent unofficial patch of the game? I was reading a walk through regarding this quest and there are steps such as sneak into a Skylines Apartment, find someone dead, listen to their answering machine, etc, etc, talk to Tin Can Bill in the Alley, until you finally go find the plague bearer in the sewers. All those things sound familiar to me from a previous play through.

In the version I'm currently playing, I talked to Damsel at the Anarchs Bar, who gave me this quest, and she told me I could talk to some of the street people to seek clues. I talked to a lady over by a barrel with a fire in it and she pointed me directly to Tin Can Bill. It just feels like something has been cut out of the quest...

I just killed Brother Kanker, and as a Toreador with an axe, it was a whole lot easier than as a Malkavian, where I remember having to run all over the place avoiding him...although I still love the Malkavian's speech patterns. :D

Update: I stand corrected, it's all still there... if you have not, remember to stop by the Tremere Chantry where you can get a related quest from the head dude there. 🤠

Last edited:

Queen6

macrumors G4
Not the VTMB Overhaul mod something very different, yet something very familiar...
Screenshot 2024-02-13 201554.png

Screenshot 2024-02-13 201726.png

Screenshot 2024-02-13 201753.png

Screenshot 2024-02-13 201828.png
Screenshot 2024-02-13 202047.png

Screenshot 2024-02-13 202224.png

There's a lot more to come out of VTMB and then some, currently WIP.

If only I had the skill's this is what VTMB would look like in 2024...
vetarmora-janett.jpg

1707898524654.png

1707898652889.png

All credit goes to the artist, talented in the digital realm :cool:

If into good RPG's VTMB is a game not to be missed...

Q-6

Last edited:
  • Love
Reactions: Huntn

Huntn

macrumors Core
Original poster
May 5, 2008
The Misty Mountains
Not the VTMB Overhaul mod something very different, yet something very familiar...
View attachment 2349225
View attachment 2349226
View attachment 2349227
View attachment 2349228 View attachment 2349229
View attachment 2349230
There's a lot more to come out of VTMB and then some, currently WIP.

If only I had the skill's this is what VTMB would look like in 2024...
View attachment 2349249
View attachment 2349236
View attachment 2349237
All credit goes to the artist, talented in the digital realm :cool:

If into good RPG's VTMB is a game not to be missed...

Q-6
Magnificent art work, with the vibe… :D

Queen6

macrumors G4
The game ships from GOG with the Unofficial Patch (UP 11.5) installed, without the patch Vampire the Masquerade: Bloodlines is very much flawed. On installing the UP patch it offers a stock experience with numerous bug fixes and a Plus experience, the latter strives add cut content and game mechanics.

My focus is on the stock game & patch with the latest Unofficial Patch being 11.5rc8.1. I may rebuild the game with UP 10.8 as some consider it to be more stable. Vampire the Masquerade: Bloodlines is held in high esteem as an RPG with vast replay value for very good reason, however it was badly managed by Activision and forced out the door all too early, resulting in the failure of the development studio...

While the game engine is old and has limitations, it still can be persuaded to perform at far higher levels than was originally intended. Core gameplay is what VTMB is all about, however the graphics could very much do with a refresh...

2004 1080p - stock game with Unofficial Patch (GOG 1.2 UP 11.5)
1708280482359.png

2024 - modded game 4K .tga file screenshot at 1080p
1708242744038.png

While the game engine and it's SDK are held together with sticky tape, it's clearly possible to do something with this epic RPG...
Screenshot 2024-02-13 182250.png

Screenshot 2024-02-13 182409.png

Screenshot 2024-02-18 163306.png

The downside; it's not an easily applied mod pack, as requires the addition & subtraction of many assets and some work in the code to get the desired result, but it's getting closer by the day...:)

4K versus 2K assets in the SDK
Screenshot 2024-02-18 051704.png

Which one looks best in game is an entirely different matter. One must also consider the size of the assets as they all add up with the game engine/UP having a limit on the size of the folder containing textures...

As with all, you fix one issue and create another.
Screenshot 2024-02-17 061936.png
Such is modding...LOL

So far VTMB is running very well, just been around the Santa Monica hub. Game is stable with constant FPS (locked at 65 FPS for technical reasons), looking a lot better than stock with as little deviation from the original look & feel of the game as possible...

Q-6

Last edited:
  • Love
Reactions: Huntn

Huntn

macrumors Core
Original poster
May 5, 2008
The Misty Mountains
VTMB Spoilers 2024 Playthough Pt1:
In my current 2024 play though, in Santa Monica, I was happy to help E, the Thinblood and Lily, not taking advantage of them, forgoing some XP in the process. And I was happy not to offer up another involuntary blood donor to Vandal, the hospital's blood bank manager. I tend in RPGs to be as "good" morally as I can be, and in this case I don't want to lose my humanity, as that can have detrimental outcomes in this environment. However losing humanity usually involves taking innocent lives, not manipulating and taking advantage of people. I just prefer to be good if I can. I did not know until recently via the internet that Vandal is Teresa Vorman's ghoul. Just a bad, unlikeable guy, maybe that's why I was not given the opportunity to kill him? 🤔

The Ocean House quest is a treat as always. I was in search of a relic for Teresa to help her finalize her real estate deal.

Downtown, my good service to the Prince LaCroix, dealing with a mysterious sarcophagus, got me an apartment. I discovered I had my own ghoul, Heather Poe, who tracked me down after I (probably) saved her life at the Hospital. I don't remember there being a maze in Grout's Mansion? Maybe poor memory on my part, but I think it was added in one of the Unofficial Patch (UP) updates.

And I made a good rep for myself with the Anarch's by running down the source of a blood disease that had caused the CDC to investigate. The vampire society was very concerned that this could somehow be tracked back to and revealing them, putting the Mascarade in jeopardy

IMG_3132.jpeg

Hollywood
I have made it to Hollywood, met Velvet Velour owner of Vesuvius, a strip club, and the Baron of Hollywood,(Anarch Baron Isaac Abrams) both of who want things from me.

But I ended up going back to Santa Monica to finish up the Carnival of Death quest at the auto salvage yard, and after a quick stop at Kilpatrick Bail Bonds, I remembered, where the hell was Knox, Bertran Tung's ghoul? I'd not seen him in this play through and he has a quest! 😐

So with low expectations, I swung by the front entrance to the Hospital, and nope, this was the place where he usually approached you, but he was not there. So I resorted to online research, and discovered that in one of the patches, he was moved to the balcony of the Asylum, Jeanette and Teressa's nightclub. I go up there frequently to rendezvous with one of my girl friends, ineloquently described as a blood doll because of the casual level, sort of voluntary, parasitic relationship of her offering up some of her blood to me, cause she enjoys my brief company. They never seem to question, but do they realize?

Regarding Knox, I've played this so many times I did not think to look around. He's over in a corner of the balcony, and he no longer approached me, I approached him. I wonder why this change was made? In the original game, he approached you at the hospital, all excited to run into a vampire, and then later he would appear at the Asylum to request your help. He has a vampire stalker problem.

The biggest surprise in this playthough is that I finally questioned, that this game takes place in perpetual darkness. There is no daytime, and only sunlight I remember is at Grout’s Mansion where you briefly step outside suddenly it is daytime, and you get burned when sunlight hits your arm as you throw a switch, but then you are back inside and when you emerge it is dark again…🤔

Last edited:

Huntn

macrumors Core
Original poster
May 5, 2008
The Misty Mountains
Pt2-
Last night after searching for, and finding “Gary”, the Nosferatu, in the sewers, then into this clan of vampires’ liar. It helps to have a game guide for this one, unless you have the patience to search. Later, I popped out in Hollywood’s cemetery mausoleum, a secret entrance and exit related to the search for the stolen ancient sarcophagus, that Prince LaCroix has me searching for.

I stopped at Romero‘s shack (love that name by the way, due to related cinematics by a certain Director :)), located on cemetery property grounds, and he wanted to know if you would watch the cemetery for rising zombies, while he runs and grabs a six pack.”Sure!” I said. He was hired by the city to take care of this issue, at least to keep it from being known by the populous at large.

This became one of the most annoying quests I’ve done in this game. it’s only four minutes long, there’s a timer, but you have to run back-and-forth from the cemetery‘s front gate to the rear gate and make sure zombies don’t knock the gates down, escape, and insight havoc. You do this by killing, slicing or shooting them.

After about seven tries I figured out the key to completing this quest. Only kill zombies in close proximity to the gates. Ignore all zombies in the middle between the gates. Any zombie you don’t plan on attacking, take a wide berth, because they will try to grab you and eat your brains. The problem is not that you are seriously injured (you’re not), but that it slows you down, waisting valuable time

Some zombies come for you, but it’s the zombies at the gates that are the challenge, not because they are hard to kill, but because you need to kill them fast and get back to the other gate. I ended up having to use Celerity (speed) and Presence (radiates fear), making them easier, hopefully a little faster to kill.

If you fail, he is angry. But when you succeed, Romero is happy, and if you are playing a female character, other than maybe Nosferatu, and depending on past interactions, he may tell you, you’re a hot dead chick, and he propositions you. If you say yes, you don’t even get to hang out in a club. It’s nothing more than a darkened quickie scene, with some added moaning for effect. :)

Last edited:

Huntn

macrumors Core
Original poster
May 5, 2008
The Misty Mountains
As described elsewhere, I got distracted by another game, but last night tore myself away for a couple of hours to complete a couple of Chinatown quests. However, I’m having some trouble getting by the Chang Brothers in the basement of the Giovani Mansion. The engine is dated, but the atmosphere is so strong and appealing in this story. :)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.