Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

fantascination

macrumors newbie
Original poster
May 13, 2022
NC, USA
So my sweet, darling, definitely-not-about-to-be-strangled brother spilled e-juice/nicotine liquid on the keyboard of my brand spanking new Macbook Air yesterday. It's a 2020 M1 Model. It was maybe half a tablespoon, spilled on the left-hand side of the keyboard. I wiped up the spill immediately - like 4-5 seconds after it happened - and removed keys on the affected area to clean underneath it as well. I've cleaned it very thoroughly, but I think it'd be naive to presume that at least a small amount didn't get further down. The machine doesn't appear to be affected at all - it didn't die, although I powered it down almost immediately after. Keys still work, backlights still work. There doesn't appear to be any issues, but I'm hesitant to be optimistic because I know problems can crop up days/weeks later.

Has anybody dealt with anything to this effect, and what was the outcome? Vape juice is typically made up of propylene glycol, vegetable glycerin, nicotine salts, and flavoring. The PG and VG are by far the largest ingredients. Should I start panicking and freaking out, or is a "wait-and-see-what-happens" approach better? I saved up for literally years to buy this thing and have had it for like five months, so to say I'm an upset is an understatement.

Thanks in advance for any advice!

SoldOnApple

macrumors 65816
Jul 20, 2011
You must be young if it took years to save up for an Air. I feel for you. Look into your parents insurance policy, it might cover things like this and the excess on the claim could be less than the cost of servicing through Apple directly.

fantascination

macrumors newbie
Original poster
May 13, 2022
NC, USA
You must be young if it took years to save up for an Air. I feel for you. Look into your parents insurance policy, it might cover things like this and the excess on the claim could be less than the cost of servicing through Apple directly.
Lol I am young-ish, and also low-income, which is why it took years. Unfortunately asking my parents for help is not an option, but I still appreciate the suggestion!

Reactions: Reggaenald

fantascination

macrumors newbie
Original poster
May 13, 2022
NC, USA
In situations like this, Apple advises you to toss it in the landfill and buy a new one, just to be on the safe side.
This was the general sentiment I got when I asked about this on the Apple forums, so I believe it. Somebody told me my laptop was now a HazMat situation and therefore unfixable. :D

velocityg4

macrumors 604
Dec 19, 2004
Georgia
Beyond what you did. All I could suggest is completely disassembling it and flushing with isopropyl alcohol. That’s what I normally do with electronics. Not sure about a keyboard which can only be partially disassembled. That includes logic board and screen removal. Then a very thorough drying time.

JahBoolean

Suspended
Jul 14, 2021
So my sweet, darling, definitely-not-about-to-be-strangled brother spilled e-juice/nicotine liquid on the keyboard of my brand spanking new Macbook Air yesterday. It's a 2020 M1 Model. It was maybe half a tablespoon, spilled on the left-hand side of the keyboard. I wiped up the spill immediately - like 4-5 seconds after it happened - and removed keys on the affected area to clean underneath it as well. I've cleaned it very thoroughly, but I think it'd be naive to presume that at least a small amount didn't get further down. The machine doesn't appear to be affected at all - it didn't die, although I powered it down almost immediately after. Keys still work, backlights still work. There doesn't appear to be any issues, but I'm hesitant to be optimistic because I know problems can crop up days/weeks later.

Has anybody dealt with anything to this effect, and what was the outcome? Vape juice is typically made up of propylene glycol, vegetable glycerin, nicotine salts, and flavoring. The PG and VG are by far the largest ingredients. Should I start panicking and freaking out, or is a "wait-and-see-what-happens" approach better? I saved up for literally years to buy this thing and have had it for like five months, so to say I'm an upset is an understatement.

Thanks in advance for any advice!
One word of advice, don't let this sit more than absolutely necessary. Isopropyl and a mindful disassembly are the only thing between you and pricey repairs at :apple:. Try to run apple care on the device, it should enlighten us about the capabilities of their remote sensing.

fantascination

macrumors newbie
Original poster
May 13, 2022
NC, USA
One word of advice, don't let this sit more than absolutely necessary. Isopropyl and a mindful disassembly are the only thing between you and pricey repairs at :apple:. Try to run apple care on the device, it should enlighten us about the capabilities of their remote sensing.
Ran diagnostics and it told me no issues were found. So either the device is fine (for now) or their remote sensing sucks lol

fantascination

macrumors newbie
Original poster
May 13, 2022
NC, USA
Beyond what you did. All I could suggest is completely disassembling it and flushing with isopropyl alcohol. That’s what I normally do with electronics. Not sure about a keyboard which can only be partially disassembled. That includes logic board and screen removal. Then a very thorough drying time.
That's the plan here in a bit. Thanks for the response!

fantascination

macrumors newbie
Original poster
May 13, 2022
NC, USA
Are you tech savvy? Do you have all the required tools for disassembly? Do you have replacement thermal paste/pads? If the answer is no to any of those three questions, take it to Apple.
Yes to the first two, no to the third. I'm planning on taking it to a repair shop. Thanks for looking out :)

velocityg4

macrumors 604
Dec 19, 2004
Georgia
I understand your situation, and are huge risk by voiding your warranty and self servicing. Given your situation, I would say it's best to let the service guy handle it.
What I’m wary of is the contamination. Apple may consider the e-liquid to be a hazardous substance and refuse repair. Don’t know the rules on that.

MikeDr206

macrumors 6502
Oct 9, 2021
Back in the day, I had a PowerBook 100. While pouring myself a glass of iced tea, the lid fell off and 2 quarts of iced tea poured onto the keyboard. I called Apple. Quite embarrassing. “Do you know how the liquid got on the keyboard?” “Well….”

they sent me a box, I gave them my credit card #, and two weeks later I had an essentially brand new PB100.

Apple_Robert

Contributor
Sep 21, 2012
In the middle of several books.
There was a forum member last year who took his Mac in for repair and the inside was (according to the tech) covered in residue from tobacco smoke and the tech wouldn't repair, as it was deemed a biohazard. The forum member was livid but, I don't blame Apple. I wouldn't mess with that either. I think you are going to run into the same problem with Apple. Your brother owes you a new computer. I would sell the vape computer for what you can get.

jav6454

macrumors Core
Nov 14, 2007
1 Geostationary Tower Plaza
There was a forum member last year who took his Mac in for repair and the inside was (according to the tech) covered in residue from tobacco smoke and the tech wouldn't repair, as it was deemed a biohazard. The forum member was livid but, I don't blame Apple. I wouldn't mess with that either. I think you are going to run into the same problem with Apple. Your brother owes you a new computer. I would sell the vape computer for what you can get.
I remember reading that thread. It was so thick with tabaco residue the tech smelled it before even opening it.

Reactions: Apple_Robert

velocityg4

macrumors 604
Dec 19, 2004
Georgia
That’s the thread that made me think Apple would consider it a hazard. Nicotine may be absorbed through the skin.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.