Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

pshufd

macrumors G3
Original poster
Oct 24, 2013
New Hampshire
I was using a 2014 MacBook Pro for trading and personal stuff and sometimes demands on the system were too heavy so I took out a 2008 Dell Desktop and added a lot of RAM (48 GB) to use instead. I also needed a video card to run my 4K monitor. It generally runs everything fairly well on Windows but I didn't have a good solution for iCloud Apps. I ran into problems with Firefox, Chrome, and Safari running iCloud Apps in the web browser.

So I tried installing a macOS VM. I was able to get it running but performance wasn't good even though I was using native apps. I next tried using Microsoft Edge and that, surprisingly, works quite well. Good performance and it doesn't have the video glitches that the other browsers show. So that's a reasonable solution and I'll probably stick with it. The third approach was to VNC into my 2014 MacBook Pro 15 and this does work really well. The only downside is that it has to be up and running. It's almost like I have a cloud macOS server. I get to use the resources of two machines. I suppose I could even set up a third that's controlled by the desktop. At any rate, it's one way to keep running using old equipment. I had thought about buying a 2012 Mac Pro with 6 cores and 64 GB of RAM along with a new Mac Pro. I will put off purchase decisions for a while though as I have more than enough compute power between these two systems.

ian87w

macrumors G3
Feb 22, 2020
Indonesia
If you don't need a laptop nor Mac specific apps, I would just get a new Windows machine, and soup up the RAM and SSD. I mean from your description, it seems that the Macbook Pro is actually redundant, and everything can be run on the Dell by itself.

pshufd

macrumors G3
Original poster
Oct 24, 2013
New Hampshire
If you don't need a laptop nor Mac specific apps, I would just get a new Windows machine, and soup up the RAM and SSD. I mean from your description, it seems that the Macbook Pro is actually redundant, and everything can be run on the Dell by itself.

My work systems are MacBook Pros (2015 13 and 2015 15) and we run in Linux so having a Unix OS makes life easier. I would prefer macOS on my personal stuff as well and I have had that setup but I'd need more RAM for what I do than what is on this laptop. The Windows desktop has much better thermals as well. I've run this setup and use a dual-AC fan to keep the laptop temperatures down. What would really be better is a Mac Pro as I'd get macOS, room for lots of RAM when I wanted to install it, great thermals and plenty of CPU overhead. This would be true of a 2012 12-core Mac Pro or a modern 8-core. I have been shopping for the former as a lot of people buy them cheap for production or other work.

But the COVID stuff has me concerned about going into someone's house to check them out. And there are issues with using old Macs. The 2012 is already vintage and there are some funny things that you have to deal with if you're using a modern video card on really old Mac Pros. Could I do everything on Windows? Yes; I'm doing it right now. But it's a nuisance having to flip the keys for cut and paste as I go back and forth between Windows and macOS during the day. The UI of macOS is just so much better too. I also like the ability to drop into Unix to do some things. I should look into that Linux on Windows that I've heard about.

pshufd

macrumors G3
Original poster
Oct 24, 2013
New Hampshire
What do you use Windows for?

TD Ameritrade Think or Swim and Fidelity Active Trader Pro. I also run Slack, Firefox, Thunderbird, Notes, Reminder, Calendar on it. I used to try running everything excluding the trading programs on my personal Mac that I use for work but the load was rather high so I partitioned tasks to two MacBook Pros. I migrated the personal stuff to an old Windows desktop that I threw 48 GB of RAM in because of better thermals and performance. The CPU of the 2014 MacBook Pro is a lot faster than my old 2008 system but the performance of the desktop feels faster because of all of the memory, the presence of a modern video card and maybe thermal throttling.

As I said, I'd prefer macOS but am not going to spend $7K for the personal preference when an ancient desktop gets the job done. I do wish that Apple would just license macOS as I could just build something to run macOS on.

ian87w

macrumors G3
Feb 22, 2020
Indonesia
I would prefer macOS on my personal stuff as well

Could I do everything on Windows? Yes; I'm doing it right now.
I'd prefer macOS but am not going to spend $7K for the personal preference when an ancient desktop gets the job done. I do wish that Apple would just license macOS as I could just build something to run macOS on.
So the Mac is just a preference, not a requirement.

I'd say just get a souped up Windows machine. Windows 10 is great, especially if you have a souped up machine with plenty of RAM and fast SSD. Windows gets a bad rap because too many OEMs are still shipping Windows machines with slow 5400rpm hard drives. With fast SSD, Windows is fine. Furthermore, Imo it's much easier to setup dual/triple boot systems with Linux etc on a Windows machine.

The reason I said this is that instead of wasting time hoping for Apple to do things they obviously will never do, it's better spending your mind and time to things that will do what you want.

pshufd

macrumors G3
Original poster
Oct 24, 2013
New Hampshire
So the Mac is just a preference, not a requirement.

I'd say just get a souped up Windows machine. Windows 10 is great, especially if you have a souped up machine with plenty of RAM and fast SSD. Windows gets a bad rap because too many OEMs are still shipping Windows machines with slow 5400rpm hard drives. With fast SSD, Windows is fine. Furthermore, Imo it's much easier to setup dual/triple boot systems with Linux etc on a Windows machine.

The reason I said this is that instead of wasting time hoping for Apple to do things they obviously will never do, it's better spending your mind and time to things that will do what you want.

My impression of W10 was that it was awful when it came out and it was awful for several years. But I tried it again last year and found it quite nice. I bought the Dell Studio XPS 435mt for $580 used in 2008. Added SSD, 48 GB RAM, replaced PSU and have a USB 3.0 PCIe card on order. I keep my eye out for old, used gear that could be greatly improved. I'm considering doing a build too -last time I did a build was 2010. My daughter wanted it so I gave it to her. I'd like to do another one one of these days.

pshufd

macrumors G3
Original poster
Oct 24, 2013
New Hampshire
I'm considering a Dell XPS 8930 with Core i9 and not much else. I would just add SSD and video card from spare parts and 2x32 GB DIMMs and this should be good for a decade or more. It's cheap at $1,000 but I'm adding a lot of parts from other computers.

ian87w

macrumors G3
Feb 22, 2020
Indonesia
My impression of W10 was that it was awful when it came out and it was awful for several years. But I tried it again last year and found it quite nice. I bought the Dell Studio XPS 435mt for $580 used in 2008. Added SSD, 48 GB RAM, replaced PSU and have a USB 3.0 PCIe card on order. I keep my eye out for old, used gear that could be greatly improved. I'm considering doing a build too -last time I did a build was 2010. My daughter wanted it so I gave it to her. I'd like to do another one one of these days.
That's the beauty of Windows. Many people don't need the latest hardware, and even a 2008 PC can still be useful.

It's not restricted by some sort of vintage policy like Apple's.

Reactions: kazmac and maflynn

pshufd

macrumors G3
Original poster
Oct 24, 2013
New Hampshire
Consider a Mac mini... you can max out the CPU and get a 1 TB SSD for $1500... Then buy RAM upgrade elsewhere. Buy a license of Win 10 and Parallels... And you should be able to run both the VM and Mac OS no problem

My problem with the Mac Mini is that you're packing a lot of technology in a small package resulting in hot operating temperatures under load. This is an issue that I have with modern laptops that are thin and light as well. I would really like four accessible DIMM slots (six or eight would be even better), and multiple NVMe attachment points. I'd also like discrete video and like all of the old ports that you get with a tower. We have a 2018 Mac Mini and my wife uses it but I've heard reports from friends that use it for trading that it runs hot.

pshufd

macrumors G3
Original poster
Oct 24, 2013
New Hampshire
Yeah then get a Pc and be happy. Or get a iMac Pro. Rumors say they are updating the iMacs soon

iMacs have the same thermal issues. What I hate about All-In-One is that you toss them if something critical breaks.

I know so many that would like a mid-tower Mac. Something in-between the Mac Mini and the Mac Pro.

ian87w

macrumors G3
Feb 22, 2020
Indonesia
iMacs have the same thermal issues. What I hate about All-In-One is that you toss them if something critical breaks.

I know so many that would like a mid-tower Mac. Something in-between the Mac Mini and the Mac Pro.
Apple already set its product segments when Jobs first divided their product line into 4 segment way back when. Apple has concluded the consumer side wanted all-in-one. We can make peace with it and move on. :)

Besides, when you go with Windows, you just open up the option to go with AMD.

pshufd

macrumors G3
Original poster
Oct 24, 2013
New Hampshire
Apple already set its product segments when Jobs first divided their product line into 4 segment way back when. Apple has concluded the consumer side wanted all-in-one. We can make peace with it and move on. :)

Besides, when you go with Windows, you just open up the option to go with AMD.

Well, they certainly are popular. I have one in my basement with a dead video card and I just need to do remote disk from something with Firewire to wipe the hard drive and then bring it to the Apple Store to recycle. It's life was cut short by defective parts. So I said never again. The thing was a furnace too.

I made $5K on an AAPL trade today. Made $39K on an AAPL trade last month. I wouldn't have any problems buying a Mac Pro - the hardware valuation on it just bugs me too much. I'd rather buy a 2012 and refurbish it myself.

pshufd

macrumors G3
Original poster
Oct 24, 2013
New Hampshire
I've settled on the approach of running my financial stuff on the Dell and running iCloud Apps (mail, notes, reminders, calendar, browser for forums) on my 2014 MacBook Pro through screen sharing. I have a 2560x1600 pixel display piped from the MacBook Pro. The MacBook Pro typically runs about 3% CPU and about 5 GB of RAM so it is very lightly loaded. The heavy CPU work is done on Windows.

I've tried a Mojave VM on the Dell and I prefer screen sharing. I plan to try High Sierra at some point as it might be an improvement. But, for now, I'll just use macOS via screen sharing.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.