Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

washer

macrumors member
Original poster
Mar 1, 2004
im working to make some vector art from a picture of a friend in photoshop.
do you usually use illustrator for vector right? unfortunatly, this proj is for my digital art class which is photoshop exclusive.
what is the best way to do this? or different options?
i have started by blocking out major colors like the jacket, hands, face, sun glasses, and hair by making paths, turning them into selections, and filling them with a solid color. so ive tried to only use paths, but have also used the paint brush for some of the face and hair.
i gotta say though, inanimate stuff like the sunglasses and jacket look pretty cool, but stuff like his face and hair just look weird. ill try to put it up here tomorrow mourning at school to let you see. and boy has this been hard, i knew that this stuff just looked easy, but it seems amost rediculously hard.
so are there trade secrets to this art? any other places or resources to look, talk to, tutorial on the web?
help! im halfway though this project that was due a week and a half ago and im loosing hope!
thanks in advance
washer

iMeowbot

macrumors G3
Aug 30, 2003
washer said:
im working to make some vector art from a picture of a friend in photoshop.
do you usually use illustrator for vector right?
Right. You could also try the free Inkscape (needs X11 installed). It's not exactly the most feature-filled program, but people do seem to manage to get real work done with it.

Plymouthbreezer said:
Is that even possible? I don't believe PS can create true vector images. :confused:

You can sort of do vectors in Photoshop too; use the pen tools, then export the paths to an Illustrator file. That's not an especially useful option if you don't have Illustrator, though :/

washer

macrumors member
Original poster
Mar 1, 2004
thanks
the project just calls for drawing something in photoshop, with out the use of pictures. so ive wanted to do a vector before and decided to get smart and do it in photoshop, then get rid of the picture i was tracing so nobodys the wiser.
should i just give up on this now and draw a stick figure to move on?
i have always wanted to learn how to do this though, i love the style people can get drawing vector. should i forge through, or submit to defeat and try later with another program?

ps- ill try to get the pic up tomorrow mourning to show you how ive done so far...

washer

macrumors member
Original poster
Mar 1, 2004
dejo said:
Here's an example of a vector tutorial using Photoshop.

ah! thank you so much! that is exactly what i want... just with three guys acting like the 'hear no, see no, speak no evil' monkeys

ill have to try that tomorrow. i only glanced at the tutorial, should there be any complications with a picture of people instead of one car. i guess the only difference is that there are three of them, and there is a little more detail

thanks again!

gman71882

macrumors 6502
Jan 12, 2005
Houston, Tx
Any Vector Illustration program will work...
Adobe Illustrator,
Macromedia(now Adobe) Freehand
Corel Draw

These are Professional versions of sofware used for vector Illustration.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.