Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

bumblebritches5

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Nov 7, 2012
Michigang
Why does Apple use multiple PNGs (that aren't even crushed) instead of a single compressed SVG? The hardware is certainly powerful enough on OS X, and probably the iPhone/iPad...

Mr. Retrofire

macrumors 603
Mar 2, 2010
www.emiliana.cl/en
Why does Apple use multiple PNGs (that aren't even crushed) instead of a single compressed SVG? The hardware is certainly powerful enough on OS X, and probably the iPhone/iPad...
Apple uses transparent file system compression (since Mac OS X 10.6.x+, the kernel decompresses the compressed data). The file system compressor uses the deflate algorithm (zlib), like PNG. Vector-based images are not always possible.

bumblebritches5

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Nov 7, 2012
Michigang
Apple uses transparent file system compression (since Mac OS X 10.6.x+, the kernel decompresses the compressed data). The file system compressor uses the deflate algorithm (zlib), like PNG. Vector-based images are not always possible.

That's cool about the FS compression, but I still don't get why they can't use vector. :/

cclloyd

macrumors 68000
Oct 26, 2011
Alpha Centauri A
That's cool about the FS compression, but I still don't get why they can't use vector. :/

I guarentee a lot of the images are vector in their original format so they can make them as big as they want, but as said above, I would rather have like 100MB extra used then processing vector graphics. It's not like 100MB ever made a difference for me.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.