Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Suzl

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 8, 2023
Hi,

I finally got my Mac Pro 5.1 2012 High Sierra to start working again with windows 10. Problems i face now is that for some reason my Vega 56 only boots and posts video to Mac and not bootcamp. if i keep my pc running it goes to recovery mode but when i put the original graphics card in it goes to windows. i want to install the vega 56 drivers on but im not sure how/ how to resolve the issue of getting video in windows. or if its even possible. someone told me to EFI flash the GPU but I thought AMD graphics card don't need flashing?

Will BootCampDrivers (https://www.bootcampdrivers.com/) fix the issue? i tried using it but to no avail. Amd software just says oops not compitable or something like that.

anythoughts?

h9826790

macrumors P6
Apr 3, 2014
Hong Kong
Hi,

I finally got my Mac Pro 5.1 2012 High Sierra to start working again with windows 10. Problems i face now is that for some reason my Vega 56 only boots and posts video to Mac and not bootcamp. if i keep my pc running it goes to recovery mode but when i put the original graphics card in it goes to windows. i want to install the vega 56 drivers on but im not sure how/ how to resolve the issue of getting video in windows. or if its even possible. someone told me to EFI flash the GPU but I thought AMD graphics card don't need flashing?

Will BootCampDrivers (https://www.bootcampdrivers.com/) fix the issue? i tried using it but to no avail. Amd software just says oops not compitable or something like that.

anythoughts?
Assuming that's just a normal Vega56, but not flashed by any strange firmware (e.g. for mining in Linux).

1) Boot to Windows with your original graphic card.

2) Run DDU to uninstall all GPU driver.

3) Shutdown

4) Swap in the Vega56

5) Boot to Windows, if black screen, give it a few minutes. As long as it's connected to internet, Windows should install the driver for you.

Regardless Windows install the Vega56 driver for you, or the MS basic display driver, you can still install the AMD software, which should has the latest AMD driver for the Vega56.

Suzl

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 8, 2023
Assuming that's just a normal Vega56, but not flashed by any strange firmware (e.g. for mining in Linux).

1) Boot to Windows with your original graphic card.

2) Run DDU to uninstall all GPU driver.

3) Shutdown

4) Swap in the Vega56

5) Boot to Windows, if black screen, give it a few minutes. As long as it's connected to internet, Windows should install the driver for you.

Regardless Windows install the Vega56 driver for you, or the MS basic display driver, you can still install the AMD software, which should has the latest AMD driver for the Vega56.
Hey man,

Thanks for replying, I did exactly as you told me , I fully removed the drivers. Even said Microsoft basic display driver but still it doesn’t seem to wanna load anything on the screen. Just said put bootable drive when I knocked the ssd while replacing the GPU so the display port works but no signal. Got anything else in mind that I can try? Mac been running for 10 minutes now no signal :(

Suzl

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 8, 2023
Hey man,

Thanks for replying, I did exactly as you told me , I fully removed the drivers. Even said Microsoft basic display driver but still it doesn’t seem to wanna load anything on the screen. Just said put bootable drive when I knocked the ssd while replacing the GPU so the display port works but no signal. Got anything else in mind that I can try? Mac been running for 10 minutes now no signal :(
Alright someting else happened, now it just boots into infinite underscores but works fine with original GPu

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.