Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

rjalex

macrumors regular
Original poster
Mar 27, 2011
Rome, Italy
Dear friends,
seems a lot of people have problems with Ventura and external displays but mine seems different from those I've found.

Both turning on the Mini or reactivating it while sleeping does not turn on the monitor anymore.

I need to power cycle the monitor itself and then get the image displayed.

This happened rarely with Monterey (I jumped from Monterey directly to 13.1), now the problem is always there.

Mac Mini M1 2020 - Ventura 13.1 - LG HDR 4K 32inch at native resolution 60Hz HDR on - connected via USB-C cable

joevt

Contributor
Jun 21, 2012
I have Mac mini 2018 with Ventura on external USB-C NVMe. Sometimes after awhile, the display and keyboard won't respond so I need to force power off and reboot. I believe I have sleep disabled.

rjalex

macrumors regular
Original poster
Mar 27, 2011
Rome, Italy
In my case the keyboard does fine and when the display collaborates it does return the Mini from sleep. It's the display not coming alive unless I power cycle it with its own switch and when it comes up it shows the login desktop without any problems.
This happened from tomes to times, quite rarely with the latest updates to Maverick. Now on Ventura it does happen 90% of the times (not 100% though).

rex4mac

macrumors newbie
Jun 11, 2010
If you're using a MacBook Pro with the latest Ventura macOS and having trouble waking it up from sleep or using it under clamshell mode, you're not alone.

Many users are experiencing issues with external monitors and USB connections not responding after a period of time, or the system freezing and requiring a restart or login.

This is because the new macOS Ventura has a feature similar to the "deep hibernate" setting on Windows, which is designed to save energy and battery power.

To fix these issues, it's recommended that you plug in the included external switching power adapter/supply of your MBP at all times when using an external monitor or external monitor via TB dock/hub or KVM switch.

Lastly, make sure to turn off the "Log out automatically after inactivity" setting to avoid any further issues. This should be a temporary fix for the issues you're experiencing.

Reactions: falexc
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.