Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

iAssimilated

Contributor
Original poster
Apr 29, 2018
the PNW
This post is to start a thread similar to the ones below but focusing on eGPU usage with Ventura:

I know Ventura hasn't been officially released yet, but wanted to get a head start (especially if people are running the betas).

If you are running Ventura and an eGPU:
  • What version of Ventura?
  • What is you configuration (Mac model, GPU, eGPU enclosure, FileVault on/off, sleep enabled, etc)?
  • What is your overall experience?
  • Does your Mac show the boot screen?
  • Anything else anyone wants to add to the conversation.

Monotremata

macrumors 6502
Apr 11, 2019
Fontana, CA
Latest beta
Mac Mini 2018 i7
Sonnet 750ex whatever case via Thunderbolt
Sapphire Pulse Radeon 5550XT OC/8G
It just works and yep, boot screen every time.
Previously using an MSI Armor RX570/4G, just replaced that with the 5500 on Monday.
Dont use Filevault at all, and this computer doesn't sleep, just the monitor.

Not sure if you can use it for Recovery though. Tried to boot into Recovery yesterday to First Aid my main HD and rebooted to a black screen and my monitor kept searching for a signal. Tried to connect the Mac directly to the monitor with a USB-C to HDMI cable, but the monitor just kept flipping between the Display Port and the HDMI at that point. Didn't have a chance to try it connected directly to the HDMI output though.

Sony2k

macrumors newbie
Apr 11, 2021
SE
    13.0 Beta (22A5321d)
  • What is you configuration (Mac model, GPU, eGPU enclosure, FileVault on/off, sleep enabled, etc)?
    iMac Pro 3,2 GHz 8-Core, AMD RX 6900XT (reference), Akitio Node (modded with 450W PSU), FV On, Sleep On)
    Smooth so far. Will update if I find any issues.
    On built-in display.
    Seems apple updated their AMD drivers, and now I get the clock and temps for the eGPU. NICE!

Screenshot 2022-08-12 at 11.09.12.png
  • Issues:
    - WindowServer froze on the eGPU connected display. Might be Safari related. Happened once so far. Need more data.

Last edited:

Matty_TypeR

macrumors 6502a
Oct 1, 2016
UK
    13.0 Beta (22A5321d)
    iMac Pro 3,2 GHz 8-Core, AMD RX 6900XT (reference), Akitio Node (modded with 450W PSU), FV On, Sleep On)
    On built-in display.
    Seems apple updated their AMD drivers, and now I get the clock and temps for the eGPU. NICE!

View attachment 2042074
what software are you using to read the 6900xt temp please?

iAssimilated

Contributor
Original poster
Apr 29, 2018
the PNW
    13.0 Beta (22A5321d)
    On built-in display.

View attachment 2042074

Can you tell me what version of AMD driver Ventura is currently using?

:apple: -> About This Mac -> System Report... -> Software -> Extensions ->AMDRadeonX6000

Sony2k

macrumors newbie
Apr 11, 2021
SE
Can you tell me what version of AMD driver Ventura is currently using?

:apple: -> About This Mac -> System Report... -> Software -> Extensions ->AMDRadeonX6000
For 5000 series onward I see following kexts (Get Info on kext files in S/L/E):
  • AMDRadeonX5000.kext (v4.9.39)
  • AMDRadeonX5000GLdriver.bundle (v4.9.39 24165)
  • AMDRadeonX5000HWServices.kext (v4.9.39)
  • AMDRadeonX5000MTLDriver.kext (v4.9.39 24165)
  • AMDRadeonX5000Shared.bundle (AMDRadeonX5000Shared 0.0.0.0.0) ???
  • AMDRadeonX6000.kext (v4.9.39)
  • AMDRadeonX6000Framebuffer.kext (v4.9.39)
  • AMDRadeonX6000GLdriver.bundle (v4.9.39 24165)
  • AMDRadeonX6000HWServices.kext (v4.9.39)
  • AMDRadeonX6000MTLDriver.kext (v4.9.39 24165)
  • AMDRadeonX6000Shared.bundle (AMDRadeonX6000Shared 0.0.0.0.0) ???
System Profiler -> Software -> Extensions
Screenshot 2022-08-12 at 21.09.10.png

Details for X6000:

AMDRadeonX6000:

Version: 4.9.39
Last Modified: 05/08/2022, 11:24
Bundle ID: com.apple.kext.AMDRadeonX6000
Notarised: Unknown
Loaded: No
Get Info String: AMDRadeonX6000 4.9.39 24165
Obtained from: Not Signed
Kext Version: 4.0.9
Loadable: No
Validity Errors:
Validation Failures:
Kext has a CFBundleExecutable property but the executable can't be found: AMDRadeonX6000
Signature Validation Errors: Not Signed
Dependencies: Incomplete
Signed by: Not Signed

what software are you using to read the 6900xt temp please?
Just iStat Menus.

Reactions: iAssimilated

VuvuzelaiPhone

Suspended
Aug 15, 2022
Curious if anyone has tried Ventura with the BlackMagic eGPUs? I haven’t found any info as to whether Metal 2 is still available in Ventura. I assume so, but you know what they say. :p

Sony2k

macrumors newbie
Apr 11, 2021
SE
Version bump for drivers in 22A5331f: 4.9.39 -> 4.9.44

Attachments

• Screenshot 2022-08-27 at 00.23.10.png
    Screenshot 2022-08-27 at 00.23.10.png
    734.6 KB · Views: 136

frou

macrumors 65816
Mar 14, 2009
RX580 was the card in the base spec Mac Pro tower all the way up to 2022. So despite being an old GPU, it's more or less current in the Apple world

Reactions: watakoola

iAssimilated

Contributor
Original poster
Apr 29, 2018
the PNW
    13.0 (installed today).
    2018 mini, Sapphire RX 6800 XT, Razor Core X, FileVault is off, sleep is disabled.
    So far so good. Animations are smooth. System is responsive. AMD driver version is 4.9.48. I can see my GPU's temperature again in Macs Fan Control. I still have to unplug the HMDI connector from my GPU once after a reboot for my KVM to show the screen when switching between computers (I did not have to do this with my RX Vega 56). Not sure I like the new About This Mac window. I have not had a chance to test any games (that is usually a weekend activity) so I will have to report back.
    No.

Monotremata

macrumors 6502
Apr 11, 2019
Fontana, CA
Damn so Im guessing my boot screen wont magically come back when I update after work tonight hah.
I lost my boot screen with my 5500XT after the 12.6 update (I still had it while the update was doing its multiple reboots too). Bought a 6600XT and still nada..

Lablace

macrumors newbie
Oct 26, 2022
13.0​
Mac mini (2018, i7, 64(self-updated)+256), XFX 6800XT Merc 319 v2, Mantiz Saturn Pro, FileVault off, sleep enabled)​

When it successfully started, everything works just fine. But when I woke it up from sleep or (re)started it, it would definitely fail with kernel panic and after it restarted itself for one time or two, everything went well (of course with the "You computer restarted because of a problem...").​

Never​

I use 3 monitors and one is put vertically (270 rotation). I installed Ventura from scratch, that's said, I wiped out the disk and used a USB installer to install it (I never think Apple is able to solve intra-gen file collisions well). When I set up the display in the unfamiliar settings panel, it got kernel panic twice and finally be in the style I like.​
When I use Telegram Desktop and view some video or photo in its builtin full screen mode on my main display, the other two displays started to black out periodically. I also noticed this when I was using Monterey, but that only happened when I was playing Arcade games. I also tried reinstalling Ventura using the USB installer again with user file reserved, nothing was better this time.​
I reviewed kexts list and there is nothing more than Apple's own drivers. Damn this what had Apple engineers done? They only have a limited number of cards to test with. I am using BootCamp too and Windows 11 is now much better than its predecessors, but what about macOS, bugs and bugs more? I have to roll back to Monterey if I could not find a solution within this week.​

Last edited:

GumaRodak

macrumors 6502a
Mar 14, 2015
Curious if anyone has tried Ventura with the BlackMagic eGPUs? I haven’t found any info as to whether Metal 2 is still available in Ventura. I assume so, but you know what they say. :p
i am now trying official ventura with blackmagic rx580, and for example app store civilization 5 is grey screen with sound and mouse cursor only

tonyunreal

macrumors regular
Feb 25, 2010
macOS Ventura 13.0 (22A380)

Mac mini 2018 i7 (Macmini8,1) + Razer Core X + Powercolor Red Devil 6800XT
- forgot what the sleep options was set to, as I mainly use Windows 11
- FileVault off

Everything has been working great just like Big Sur and Montery.

No boot screens. If I had to access Recovery Mode or the boot menu, I always power down the machine before unplugging the eGPU and plugging in the HDMI cable.

timotie

macrumors newbie
Oct 30, 2022
MacOS Ventura 13.0

Mac Mini 2018 i5 with Razor Core X and Radeon RX 5700 XT
- filevault is off and sleep is enabled

After 2 years, this set-up no longer operates properly since updating to Ventura. I use two monitors out of the graphics and when performing the same start up process, the mac seems to blackout when the second monitor is powered on and I have to power everything off just to get the mac to display on a single monitor through direct hdmi.

Haven't gotten a boot screen yet, but the mac recognizes that its being restarted due to an issue.

My start-up process: turn on mac with single monitor through hdmi, turn on eGPU, unplug hdmi and turn on second monitor. I only restart the computer when I have to, otherwise the computer goes into sleep every night. I haven't troubleshoot every alternative but if I find a way, I will make an update.

Lablace

macrumors newbie
Oct 26, 2022
13.0​
Mac mini (2018, i7, 64(self-updated)+256), XFX 6800XT Merc 319 v2, Mantiz Saturn Pro, FileVault off, sleep enabled)​

When it successfully started, everything works just fine. But when I woke it up from sleep or (re)started it, it would definitely fail with kernel panic and after it restarted itself for one time or two, everything went well (of course with the "You computer restarted because of a problem...").​

Never​

I use 3 monitors and one is put vertically (270 rotation). I installed Ventura from scratch, that's said, I wiped out the disk and used a USB installer to install it (I never think Apple is able to solve intra-gen file collisions well). When I set up the display in the unfamiliar settings panel, it got kernel panic twice and finally be in the style I like.​
When I use Telegram Desktop and view some video or photo in its builtin full screen mode on my main display, the other two displays started to black out periodically. I also noticed this when I was using Monterey, but that only happened when I was playing Arcade games. I also tried reinstalling Ventura using the USB installer again with user file reserved, nothing was better this time.​
I reviewed kexts list and there is nothing more than Apple's own drivers. Damn this what had Apple engineers done? They only have a limited number of cards to test with. I am using BootCamp too and Windows 11 is now much better than its predecessors, but what about macOS, bugs and bugs more? I have to roll back to Monterey if I could not find a solution within this week.​
I had rolled back to Monterey 12.6.1, now almost everything works smoothly except that macOS always reverts my FPS setting on my FreeSync monitors. I prefer making it fixed at 60hz (maximum) as, you bet, macOS probably has defeats with regarding to VRR. But after a reboot, all my settings are reverted to use VRR, which is quite strange. I cannot identity whether this is caused by macOS or by my Radeon card. I have to turn off FreeSync support in the monitor's OSD.
Maybe this is also a root cause for the headaches I had when using Ventura, but I would not install Ventura recently and try it out again.
Look back on all of the display problems I had experienced with my beloved Mac mini, I think I surely will not be a crying baby if Apple announce they will not support third-party displays in the future ^u^.
"Why don't you use our Studio Display and XDR? They are fully tested."

er-minio

macrumors member
Oct 31, 2022
London
After 2 years, this set-up no longer operates properly since updating to Ventura. I use two monitors out of the graphics and when performing the same start up process, the mac seems to blackout when the second monitor is powered on and I have to power everything off just to get the mac to display on a single monitor through direct hdmi.

I have similar issues.

Mac Os Ventura 13.0 (22A380)
3.2 GHz 6-Core Intel Core i7
Razr Core Chroma RGB Enclosure with AMD Radeon RX Vega 64
File Vault is On
Sleep is on

Overall experience: very bad. It was functional until Monterey, barely usable right now. The computer crashes several times per day, restarting is an issue as it would go into Recovery Mode and the screen/eGPU won't work.
This is my main working computer, and stupidly I updated it on day one.

Does your Mac show the boot screen: In normal conditions: yes. I see the black screen with the Apple.
But if the computer crashes, it would boot into recovery mode. In Recovery Mode the GPU is excluded, I have to connect the monitor directly to the computer via HDMI. This was similar in Monterey and I have a spare HDMI cable ready.
Same issue when updating software, etc.

Anything else: The system is extremely unstable. Some problems I solved previously (Logi Streamcam getting stuck on audio) just came back out of the blue. There is a lot of artifacts (lines, weird coloured squares) during boot via the eGPU.
The computer keeps crashing and shutting off when idle/sleep, and you cannot disable sleep from the System settings anymore. I'm going to look up how to do it from terminal.

er-minio

macrumors member
Oct 31, 2022
London
Bummer - I wonder how well iMac Pro which has built-in Vega 64 is behaving itself.
I think it is an issue with eGPUs.

I am actually fuming as my Mac mini is a mess at the moment. I am keeping it awake with Amphetamine (the software :D ) to prevent it from getting a kernel panic and shutting down.

Ventura also reintroduced a very annoying bug I had 2 years ago with my Logitech Streamcam, where the audio loops after a few minutes in a call. You do have to restart the computer completely to make it work again.

I'm opening a separate thread about it.

Monotremata

macrumors 6502
Apr 11, 2019
Fontana, CA
Everything is still working fine here..

Sonnet 750ex/MSI Mech2 RX 6600 XT
Mac Mini 2018 i7 model.

Still no boot screens, but it is what it is I guess. Still haven't tried putting my RX570 back in to see if that one has boot screens. My 5500XT lost them with the 12.6 update and they haven't come back yet or shown up at all with the 6600.

Mr.Wolf

macrumors newbie
Nov 3, 2022
Everything works perfect in Ventura 13.0
MacMini 2018 i7 64GB
Razer Core X + Gigabyte Vega 64 OC
Vega 64 is showing as main graphic in "About this Mac".
All eGPU data present in Sensei.
Boot logo on main screen.

timotie

macrumors newbie
Oct 30, 2022
MacOS Ventura 13.0

Mac Mini 2018 i5 with Razor Core X and Radeon RX 5700 XT
- filevault is off and sleep is enabled

Haven't gotten a boot screen yet, but the mac recognizes that its being restarted due to an issue.

My start-up process: turn on mac with single monitor through hdmi, turn on eGPU, unplug hdmi and turn on second monitor. I only restart the computer when I have to, otherwise the computer goes into sleep every night. I haven't troubleshoot every alternative but if I find a way, I will make an update.
Update a week later; I finally got everything to work but the computer crashes randomly several times a day and I have to restart everything. It's become a huge burden and is prolonging my daily work. Starting to look into getting a mac studio to cut-out the sketchy "third-party capabilities" Apple neglects to refine.

Reactions: er-minio
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.