Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

cobra521

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Dec 14, 2016
FL
I'm using Topaz AI on my 7,1 Mac Pro to try to upscale some old 720P video to 4K. All software, MacOS etc are the latest versions.

For the latest three updates to Topaz AI there have been severe problems. First, crash. And by crash I mean it rebooted the Mac. The next version froze the Mac. Only holding down the on/off button got it to shut down. Nothing else from the keyboard had any effect.

The latest update is back to the 'rebooting the Mac' behavior. The program gets to an output file size of 72.26 GB and BAM! The computer rebooted.

Sadly it rebooted during a Time Machine backup which was about 1/2 done after saving about 15TB of files. Fortunately after about 3-4 hours of repairing, TM was able to pick up the backup, which has since reached about 22TB after another 15 hours.

So here are the questions:

Has anyone else had this kind of problem?

And if so, have you fixed it? How?

I've been in touch with Topaz who switches their respondent's name after a few exchanges, and apparently they lose any data I've sent, plus they've never heard of this problem...

Any suggestions?

Tom

foo2

macrumors 6502
Oct 26, 2007
The problems you are describing are hardware problems, alas. If the OS can't throw an error and keep control of the system, all that's left is hardware.

cobra521

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Dec 14, 2016
FL
foo2,

Turned out to be a software problem.

Topaz eventually fixed it through bug removal. Topaz AI now working without crashes or reboots.

No changes whatever were made to my hardware.

Tom

foo2

macrumors 6502
Oct 26, 2007
foo2,

Turned out to be a software problem.

Topaz eventually fixed it through bug removal. Topaz AI now working without crashes or reboots.

No changes whatever were made to my hardware.

Tom
Hi Tom,

If the OS doesn't have control of the hardware enough to throw a BSOD/debug screen, the OS has lost control. That's either a very, very deep level MacOS flaw (ie an OS kernel level bug), or it's a hardware problem. Under a (properly working) modern OS, no application can reboot / crash the system without the OS's permission.

I'm very glad Topaz is now working for you. I use it and love it, both the video and photos versions.

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.