Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

asaadmahmood

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 3, 2023
I had to update my mac to use xCode, so I updated from bigsur to Ventura 13.1, but now all hell has broken lose.

Most of the time I put my mac to sleep, or after a while randomly, my mac restarts or something.

i.e. I try waking up my mac from sleep, it hangs, and gets stuck, and then on the login screen instead of just asking me for my touch id, it asks me for my password to enable touch id (indicating a restart or something), and then opens up again with all applications that I had previously open closed, and then starting each application from scratch.

I tried an SMC and a PRAM reset, I even tried reinstalling the OS.

When I try to reinstall back to my old OS (factory OS), it does not show me the disk that I can install it on.

My last option is to erase the whole drive and reinstall it. But before that, I'd like to know if people have any other ideas.

Looks like the issue is related to an external monitor, if the monitor is detached, it wakes up fine.
I connected it, and it restarted or something.

Last edited:
Reactions: milkrocket

chabig

macrumors G4
Sep 6, 2002
Reinstalling Ventura won't help, as the system volume on every installation is exactly the same. I'm tempted to suggest a hardware problem, but it would be nice to know what model your Mac is.

asaadmahmood

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 3, 2023
Here you go.

Screenshot 2023-01-03 at 2.06.04 PM.png

asaadmahmood

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 3, 2023
Reinstalling Ventura won't help, as the system volume on every installation is exactly the same. I'm tempted to suggest a hardware problem, but it would be nice to know what model your Mac is.
My mac was working perfectly before the OS upgrade.

chabig

macrumors G4
Sep 6, 2002
Did you upgrade in place or do something manually? If Ventura boots, the OS is fine. You could Erase all Content and Settings if you want to start from scratch.

asaadmahmood

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 3, 2023
Did you upgrade in place or do something manually? If Ventura boots, the OS is fine. You could Erase all Content and Settings if you want to start from scratch.

I upgraded in place, I can erase it, but I'm afraid I'll lose tons of data, even though I have my time machine backed up.
But as I am a developer as well, I have tons of data and settings that I may lose, which I'm concerned about.

Otherwise, I may as well just erase the whole drive and install my old OS.

asaadmahmood

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 3, 2023
As long as the mac is open, its working fine, as long as I sleep or the display turns off, I encounter the issue potentially.

chabig

macrumors G4
Sep 6, 2002
Rereading your original description, I think it sounds like you might be logged out after a period of inactivity. What does that setting look like on your machine?

Screenshot 2023-01-03 at 9.20.51 PM.png

Jeven Stobs

Suspended
Apr 8, 2022
My MacBook takes 30 seconds to turn on the screen after wake from sleep. Apple support doesn’t know whats up and nothing seems to actually help. Funny times we live in.

asaadmahmood

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 3, 2023
Looks like the issue is related to an external monitor, if the monitor is detached, it wakes up fine.
I connected it, and it restarted or something.

ms88privat

macrumors newbie
Mar 10, 2016
After I upgraded to Ventura, my intel 16inch was also crashing and running hot after sleeping (10% of cases). I upgraded now to 13.2.. lets hope it is fixed for me too.

asaadmahmood

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 3, 2023
After I upgraded to Ventura, my intel 16inch was also crashing and running hot after sleeping (10% of cases). I upgraded now to 13.2.. lets hope it is fixed for me too.
Unfortunately, it still happens. It's less, but still happens.

What I noticed was, if I turn my desktop on first (manually), and then wake my mac from sleep, it usually wakes up fine, because it doesn't have to do the dock rearrangement stuff I'm guessing, which is probably why its getting frozen.

milkrocket

macrumors member
Oct 16, 2007
Maple land
Have this same issue on my MBP too. If I leave it on sleep overnight, I get the password prompt. Shorter sleeps don't cause this

asaadmahmood

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 3, 2023
I tried making the color profile the same for my Mac and my external monitor, and I think that has eliminated the issue (for now).

Attachments

• Screenshot 2023-02-27 at 12.08.46 AM.png
    Screenshot 2023-02-27 at 12.08.46 AM.png
    383.9 KB · Views: 261

rex4mac

macrumors newbie
Jun 11, 2010
Running the MBP under clamshell mode will have similar issues found as yours. The external monitor and USB connections via TB4 dock/ Type-C dock, can not be recalled and react after a period of time. The new macOS had this feature just as the "deep hibernate" setting on Windows OS now - just trying to save extra energy/ battery power.

So, please just plug in the included external switching power adapter/supply of your MBP all the time, when you using an external monitor or external monitor via TB dock/hub or KVM switch. It should be a temporary fix for the issues you found.

Last edited:

rex4mac

macrumors newbie
Jun 11, 2010
If you're using a MacBook Pro with the latest Ventura macOS and having trouble waking it up from sleep or using it under clamshell mode, you're not alone.

Many users are experiencing issues with external monitors and USB connections not responding after a period of time, or the system freezing and requiring a restart or login.

This is because the new macOS Ventura has a feature similar to the "deep hibernate" setting on Windows, which is designed to save energy and battery power.

To fix these issues, it's recommended that you plug in the included external switching power adapter/supply of your MBP at all times when using an external monitor or external monitor via TB dock/hub or KVM switch.

Lastly, make sure to turn off the "Log out automatically after inactivity" setting to avoid any further issues. This should be a temporary fix for the issues you're experiencing.

rex4mac

macrumors newbie
Jun 11, 2010
Newest Ventura 13.3 fixed.
Just upgraded to Ventura 13.3 and now most of the issues found for waking up external monitors and running clamshell mode had been fixed.

For safe, you still want to plug in the original included magnet-save power plug to your mac laptop.

Reply Helpful

booec

macrumors newbie
Sep 1, 2023
This problem (after sleep it is showing error message and rebooting) appeared to my i7 MBP "16 2019 with Ventura 13.5.1 about 2-3 days ago. Everything worked fine before that. I am not sure but maybe I've updated OS at those days and got bug after that. Does anyone else have the same problem?

Attachments

• Apple-Mac-reboot-error.jpg
    Apple-Mac-reboot-error.jpg
    151.1 KB · Views: 116
Reactions: Achinta

booec

macrumors newbie
Sep 1, 2023
Note that I often use an additional monitor, but this problem also occurs when I use it without a monitor

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.