Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

randomA

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 6, 2022
I followed the guides to install macOS Ventura on an unsupported Late 2013 IMAC (iMac,14,2), using Open Core Boot Manager / Legacy Patcher 0.5.2. The steps and guides are mostly the same. Followed those steps.

It worked fine up to accepting the software terms. After the initial setup progress bar, the black screen with the progress bar and the white apple logo above is where everything gets stuck. I would say 8 hrs later, there was no progress whatsoever and the bar was still stuck at about 50%.

147385770-d75a2470-44ec-460d-af81-e73104eb2389.jpg

What could be the issue? I don’t think it’s an issue with the drive or installation because it works initially.

I can no longer access the previous system because the disk has been Erased prior to installing Ventura. I don't care for data, the IMAC was empty already before, but I cannot access to a working system neither from the USB boot nor the internal HDD.

Thanks in advance for any help.

randomA

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 6, 2022
It's been multiple times trying already.
I also tried the same procedure but with Monterey and now the screen above gets stuck at full bar, probably 99%!!!
I can't seem to load a working Os into this computer.

Dbrobes

macrumors newbie
Feb 8, 2023
I followed the guides to install macOS Ventura on an unsupported Late 2013 IMAC (iMac,14,2), using Open Core Boot Manager / Legacy Patcher 0.5.2. The steps and guides are mostly the same. Followed those steps.

It worked fine up to accepting the software terms. After the initial setup progress bar, the black screen with the progress bar and the white apple logo above is where everything gets stuck. I would say 8 hrs later, there was no progress whatsoever and the bar was still stuck at about 50%.

147385770-d75a2470-44ec-460d-af81-e73104eb2389.jpg

What could be the issue? I don’t think it’s an issue with the drive or installation because it works initially.

I can no longer access the previous system because the disk has been Erased prior to installing Ventura. I don't care for data, the IMAC was empty already before, but I cannot access to a working system neither from the USB boot nor the internal HDD.

Thanks in advance for any help.
Were you able to resolve this issue? I’m having the same exact issue with a late 2013 iMac, installing from an external drive per the recommended OCLP procedure.

hoppingturtle

macrumors newbie
Mar 12, 2023
I had the same problem and then I realized something.

ALL the instructions i've read ASSUME that you are building the USB installer on the system that you are upgrading the OS on!

This was NOT my case. I was using my iMac to build an installer for my 2012 MBP! Therefore, ALL the settings were preset using my iMac kexts and drivers etc.

IF you are using another mac to build the usb installer go to SETTINGS and select which system you are building the USB installer for!!!

Hope this helps :)

SenileOtaku

macrumors newbie
Mar 12, 2024
On my iMac (2010 27" model) I think the trouble goes much deeper that this. On occasion I've gotten an install to work, but then it would hang after a couple hours. Most of the time the installer would hang part way in.
So I figured I'd at least test it with Fedora 39 (I work in Linux anyway) and maybe fix the EFI if needed. Well, **THAT** installer hung at 32% (hung for an hour at the exact same place, so it wasn't just being slow).

It has new memory, an upgraded processor, and a new SSD. All of these problems existed before AND after upgrading the components (I also cleaned out all the accumulated dust, and put fresh thermal paste on the GPU)
At least all the pieces I put in can be repurposed elsewhere (well, I wouldn't bother pulling out the processor, too much trouble to pull the mainboard out AGAIN). The iMac cost me all of $13, so I figured if nothing else there was more than that much worth in parts.. Which at this stage is likely what I'll do. Even the brand new keyboard I bought at an estate sale at Paul-Henri Nargeolet's house is reusable

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.