Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

pwitzkoske

macrumors newbie
Sep 28, 2022
Good news again! One last thing I would like to know: is your primary Mac a M1 machine? I am using a Mac Studio and don’t have a second Mac - that is why I am very cautious and appreciate your experiences very much.
My primary Mac is a 2019 iMac (Intel core i9).

CliffordJDM

macrumors newbie
Oct 30, 2022
I finally took the time to update to Ventura on my iMac (Retina 5K, 27" 2019, 3.7 GHz 6-Core Intel Core i5) this weekend. As others have mentioned here, I already had my System Preferences > Security & Privacy > Privacy > Full Disk Access > DDService64d active for my Drobo 5D3. As well as default set in System Preferences > Security & Privacy > General > App Store and identified developers. I went into the Drobo Dashboard > Tools > Shutdown and powered down my Drobo and disconnected it from my iMac. Then ran Software Update to bring it up Ventura, once it was all updated, I reconnected the Drobo to my iMac, powered on the Drobo and it mounted up just fine. Contents of the Drobo 5D3 all there and accessible as before as well as able to successfully launch the Drobo Dashboard and see/utilize its features. No problems ....thankfully.😅

Last edited:

sdingeldein

macrumors newbie
Oct 30, 2022
Good news again! One last thing I would like to know: is your primary Mac a M1 machine? I am using a Mac Studio and don’t have a second Mac - that is why I am very cautious and appreciate your experiences very much.
I am using a Mac Studio and just upgraded and have a Drobo 5D3 attached. So far I can access the files, Lightroom connects to them and Drobo Dashboard seems to be running fine. But I've only been upgraded for an hour.

Reactions: Absrnd

mkummer

macrumors member
Original poster
Apr 10, 2022
Thank you all for sharing your experiences. Seems, it is possible to update here to Ventura is safe for using my Drobo 5D too. (Fingers crossed :) )

mkummer

macrumors member
Original poster
Apr 10, 2022
Well, now I updated to Ventura - and all went fine until now. Drobo Dashboard runs and the Drobo 5D is mounting over Thunderbolt with my Mac Studio. Hopefully, it stays so.

Reactions: pwygant

mkummer

macrumors member
Original poster
Apr 10, 2022
4.3.2 is the last version. Probably your difficulties result in a new install of the dashboard. If Monterey accepted the KEXT necessary for Dashboard, it will obviously handed over to Ventura. A new install seems to block the kext install. Look into the thread here to see, how the kext may be possible to be installed.

Last edited:

Absrnd

macrumors 6502a
Apr 15, 2010
Flatland
After reading comments here and on Reddit, I also updated to Ventura,
and I can also confirm the Drobo dahboard still works fine :)

Attachments

• Screenshot 2022-11-09 at 14.28.04.jpg
    Screenshot 2022-11-09 at 14.28.04.jpg
    105.4 KB · Views: 108
Last edited:
Reactions: c.oberschneider

mkummer

macrumors member
Original poster
Apr 10, 2022
Good to know - here all is working OK too. Lets hope, further updates of Ventura don't break it.

mjbushnell

macrumors newbie
May 8, 2011
Colorado
Well, I've updated my 27" iMac to Mac OS Ventura and now it will not connect to my Drobo 5D3, so I guess that it's time to replace my Drobo enclosure. I watch Terry White's "Protecting your most valuable asset: storage and backup" video course over at Kelby Training's "Photography Gear Conference" back in May and he recommended Qnap and Synology brands. Anyone have experience with these brands?
Will all that I have to do is swap the drives from my Drobo to the new enclosure? I realize that more than likely, the data will be wiped off the drives that are swapped to the new enclosure, but then I will have a fresh backup set on the drives in the new enclosure, correct?

mkummer

macrumors member
Original poster
Apr 10, 2022
Problem with Intel Macs perhaps? Do you try to connect with USB or Thunderbolt? Did you install the Drobo Dashboard from scratch? Is the Kext on its place? (Read the thread for finding answers to those questions...)

The idea to take your content simply be swapping won't work - Drobo has its own drivers. Even to swap Drobo formatted drives from D to N did not work w/o building the whole database for new when I was trying that some time ago.

mjbushnell

macrumors newbie
May 8, 2011
Colorado
Problem with Intel Macs perhaps? Do you try to connect with USB or Thunderbolt? Did you install the Drobo Dashboard from scratch? Is the Kext on its place? (Read the thread for finding answers to those questions...)

The idea to take your content simply be swapping won't work - Drobo has its own drivers. Even to swap Drobo formatted drives from D to N did not work w/o building the whole database for new when I was trying that some time ago.
O.K., just upgraded the firmware (even though Drobo Dashboard says that it was up to date), and my Drobo now shows up on my desktop and Time Machine now says that the Drobo is connected, so I guess that solved the issue.

mrpartyhut

macrumors newbie
Nov 26, 2022
I have a Drobo 5C with the latest firmware (formatted in NTFS), but if I connect it with a usb-c to usb-c cable and macOS Ventura, the Drobo goes in loop. It starts and then reboot and nothing appear in Finder :-( I'm desperate. someone could help me please?

I don't want to install Dashboard, I want just mount the Drobo in NTFS and the use an NTFS driver to write on that Drobo.

Thanks in advance
Marco

PS: MacBook Pro 16 M1 Pro

Last edited:

mkummer

macrumors member
Original poster
Apr 10, 2022
I don't think, the Drobo is prepared to do this? As far as I understand, the internal filesystem should be installed via the Dashboard and is somewhat special. It is not intended to be used as a normal tower with an assembly of hard disks used as a single volume.

Could you do the intended use with a former macOS?

mkummer

macrumors member
Original poster
Apr 10, 2022
Even Ventura 13.1 works still fine with former installed Drobo extension. From Drobo support and the former still active Twitter site no activity at all.

Merry Christmas to you all.

MrWheelz

macrumors newbie
Dec 22, 2022
mkummer, thanks for the time you've put into the decision. Just to confirm you're referring to Ventura 13.1 not 13.0.1? I'm on the later, thanks again.

MrWheelz

macrumors newbie
Dec 22, 2022
I believe Drobo is out of business, bankruptcy. We're preparing for the end. I have 2 Drobos, twins. I use Carbon Copy Cloner. My Plex/Drobo/Backup has been working great for 12 years. Sad, I have always had good luck with Drobo.

Last edited:

mkummer

macrumors member
Original poster
Apr 10, 2022
I believe Drobo is out of business, bankruptcy. We're preparing for the end. I have 2 Drobos, twins. I use Carbon Copy Cloner. My Plex/Drobo/Backup has been working great for 12 years. Sad, I have always had good luck with Drobo.
Nobody knows exactly. The twitter support seems to be online. Drobo and Dashboard is just working under Ventura 13.1 inspire of lack of updates. I use my Drobo w/o problems for now.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.