Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

mrbobdobolina

macrumors member
Original poster
Feb 28, 2016
*Sigh* Every time I open up a MS Office app my iMac needs to "Verify" it. It takes about... 5-10 minutes to open. I've tried turning off the verification with a terminal command, but it seems every time my computer reboots it is turned back on.

Apple support was only able to suggest reinstalling my OS as something to "try" but I'd love a little more assurance that it'll fix the problem before spending the time to make that happen. (I'm running 10.15.6.)

Has anyone else successfully dealt with an issue like this?

theapplehead

macrumors 6502a
Dec 17, 2018
North Carolina
I had the issue with my sisters MacBook Air when it had run low on storage. She had tried to install a new program and it wouldn’t install completely so it would verify everytime it was opened. Is your storage running low on the Mac? Also you should try uninstalling Microsoft Office completely and reinstalling. That may help since that was the solution to my sisters problem.

Reactions: mrbobdobolina

mrbobdobolina

macrumors member
Original poster
Feb 28, 2016
I had the issue with my sisters MacBook Air when it had run low on storage. She had tried to install a new program and it wouldn’t install completely so it would verify everytime it was opened. Is your storage running low on the Mac? Also you should try uninstalling Microsoft Office completely and reinstalling. That may help since that was the solution to my sisters problem.
I'm not running out of space, but thanks for the tip on reinstalling office. I'll give that a try.

Reactions: theapplehead

IceStormNG

macrumors 6502a
Sep 23, 2020
It's not a bug but a feature (for real). It's caused by syspolicyd. It will re-check your apps every now and then. Sometimes even on every launch. No matter where they come from. This was introduced with Catalina. Before, apps were only checked once after their first install and maybe after updates.

There is a way to disable it: Disabling SIP. But that would also disable a security feature of macOS and would prevent you from using Apple Pay (Apply Pay only works if you're on the newest OS, SIP enabled, and have auto-update for security files on).

I personally have it disabled because I hate the delays, heat and battery drain from the constant checking of all my apps on launch. Xcode is probably the worst on that regards as it's huge.

Keep in mind though that you disable a security feature you might want to have.

EmmaLS

macrumors newbie
Oct 4, 2021
*Sigh* Every time I open up a MS Office app my iMac needs to "Verify" it. It takes about... 5-10 minutes to open. I've tried turning off the verification with a terminal command, but it seems every time my computer reboots it is turned back on.

Apple support was only able to suggest reinstalling my OS as something to "try" but I'd love a little more assurance that it'll fix the problem before spending the time to make that happen. (I'm running 10.15.6.)

Has anyone else successfully dealt with an issue like this?
I've had this issue, I've found I've been able to suck fix it for a few weeks here and there a few times.

System Preferences> Security & Privacy> Privacy tab> Full Disk Access folder> Unlock your padlock (bottom left of screen, requires Mac password)> find your Office suite apps and uncheck their boxes> recheck them and then relic the padlock.

Reactions: kooBi_

EmmaLS

macrumors newbie
Oct 4, 2021
I've had this issue, I've found I've been able to suck fix it for a few weeks here and there a few times.

System Preferences> Security & Privacy> Privacy tab> Full Disk Access folder> Unlock your padlock (bottom left of screen, requires Mac password)> find your Office suite apps and uncheck their boxes> recheck them and then re-lock the padlock.

Hope this helps? :)

Cheap_n_Easy

macrumors newbie
Sep 26, 2017
Raleigh, NC

System Preferences> Security & Privacy> Privacy tab> Full Disk Access folder> Unlock your padlock (bottom left of screen, requires Mac password)> find your Office suite apps and uncheck their boxes> recheck them and then relic the padlock.
This change in access setting for the MS programs does NOT fix this issue!

K2Climber

macrumors newbie
Aug 12, 2011
Hope this helps? :)
This seems to have helped fix issue for me. I was getting the verify prompt every time I opened Word & Excel. Really annoying, however, this appears to have fixed it. My settings did not have Word or Excel boxes ticked. So I ticked them, closed out of settings. I will update if issue returns. Thank you.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.