Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

webkit

macrumors 68030
Jan 14, 2021
United States
I get that. "Illegal" was a poor word choice on my part. "Condemned" seems more fitting, and I have updated my post.

Your suggestion that the FCC look into also implied a potential legality factor.

What is this "activation fee" even used for though? Is it just a relic from the old days when someone actually had to do something to activate a device? I remember when my parents would get new phones in the late 90's/early 2000's, the phone activations weren't instantaneous...the rep would usually be on a call with some other technician to get them activated. Also, until recently, we used to be able to just swap SIM cards when changing to a new phone, but now they seem to be doing it by device regardless if you're using the same SIM/eSIM.

I'm not sure. My guess is that Verizon would say it is meant to help cover the cost of the computer system used to manage new and existing customer accounts including device changes, additions, etc. as well as customer service individuals that may have to get involved in the process especially if issues arise.

compwiz1202

macrumors 604
May 20, 2010
Verizon? Yea, I don’t believe they gave you $100 bucks for complaining.
If it went to retentions, maybe. 99% probably never care, and the rest either hang up after initially being shut down or take the $20.

usagora

macrumors 601
Nov 17, 2017
And yet in the end I got the fee refunded along with an extra $65 plus some new paid for services for free as a bonus. No lawyer called, no yelling and screaming, just solid points made.

We are now at a point where our phones are becoming necessities. Enough people complain, changes get made.

If they refunded you, it was as a courtesy, not an admission of wrongdoing (again, assuming this fee was specified in the documents you (e)signed).

Reactions: TwitchyPuppy

BF1M

Suspended
Nov 17, 2018
If they refunded you, it was as a courtesy, not an admission of wrongdoing (again, assuming this fee was specified in the documents you (e)signed).

The fact that he said "he always gets them refunded" sort of says it all...

jntdroid

macrumors 6502a
Oct 12, 2011
Here’s the other thing. Let’s say I upgraded my phone, and hypothetically we swapped around phones in the household. Wife gets the 13 Pro max, daughter gets wife’s iPhone 12, son gets daughter iPhone 11. Is that now $140 worth of “activation fees”? If not, what’s the difference between me activating my new phone, and wife activating my old phone on her account?

I would really like to understand the justification for what exactly is behind the cost of the $35.

From what I understand, simply swapping devices won't generate this. That's been my experience on Verizon to date as well.

Reactions: TwitchyPuppy

jntdroid

macrumors 6502a
Oct 12, 2011
Verizon? Yea, I don’t believe they gave you $100 bucks for complaining.

They will if you get to the right person. But obviously it has nothing to do with the activation fee, they're just trying to appease the complaint and keep the customer.

• Love
Reactions: compwiz1202

BF1M

Suspended
Nov 17, 2018
They will if you get to the right person. But obviously it has nothing to do with the activation fee, they're just trying to appease the complaint and keep the customer.

Nah, they won't. Maybe MAYBE they will give a credit for the fee one single time but not every year or whenever you are upgrading your phone. They certainly aren't going to give you 3 times the fee back just because you want to cry about upholding the part of an agreement you agreed to.

My guess? His credit is due to an equipment exchange (pro max to pro, etc) but yea, it's not to keep him happy. Where's the line right?

jntdroid

macrumors 6502a
Oct 12, 2011
Nah, they won't.

We've been with Verizon a long time, and if you get to the right group (usually their "winback" group, which is basically sales/retention), they can definitely hook you up. I've never called in entitled or threatening, I don't believe that helps in most scenarios. But I have called and asked for ways to help bring our bill down, and once I got to that group, they were able to help. I also did port out and back in one time, and that same group really hooked us up on porting back in.

Edit: I will add it's been a few years since we've ever messed with that, but we've gotten similar account credits three times total over the years if I'm remembering right.

Edit 2: I do agree they won't do this all the time, but I was originally responding to your first post that seemed more general in nature about Verizon and credits. Sorry if there's any confusion!

DougFNJ

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jan 22, 2008
NJ
I seriously did not think when I started this thread that so many people were willing and happy to shell over there hard earned dollars for virtually nothing and go to defending defend this fee hard.

I’m going to agree to disagree with you guys and call it a day. You can pay it, I’ll fight it every time. I hope this thread is helpful for the people that agree with me.

Reactions: Brandon42

iHeartsteve

macrumors 68000
Feb 12, 2012
I got this fee on my bill this month also. It really annoys me that they’d charge that much for an activation fee. I wasn’t going to bother calling but now I may!

StaceyMJ86

macrumors demi-goddess
Sep 22, 2015
Washington, DC
I never pay this fee. I always buy the sim free version at Apple and used to insert my SIM card before tuning it on but now with eSim I still wasn’t charge an activation fee for my iPhone, but I was charged one for my Apple Watch ultra which I did have them activate the cellular feature.

TwitchyPuppy

macrumors regular
Feb 8, 2016
Canada
It’s $50 here for new activations (unless they’re done online).
That fee, which was initially like $35, appeared a couple years ago when carriers had to sell only factory unlocked mobile devices, and unlocking also became free.
So they lost a $50 per unlock revenue. Sad, right…?

A little backstory as to why we have that $50 activation here. Definitely not a sob story, though I don’t feel bad for them one second!

DougFNJ

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jan 22, 2008
NJ
I never pay this fee. I always buy the sim free version at Apple and used to insert my SIM card before tuning it on but now with eSim I still wasn’t charge an activation fee for my iPhone, but I was charged one for my Apple Watch ultra which I did have them activate the cellular feature.

Once they removed the Sim tray it changed things. Interestingly, I haven’t gotten any charges for cellular Apple Watches ever.

Pierre535

macrumors regular
Jun 6, 2017
He-he! I once saw a charge on my Verizon bill that I hadn’t made. Called them and their response was that once it’s on the bill, there is nothing they can do. HUH, no way to know until its on the bill!

StaceyMJ86

macrumors demi-goddess
Sep 22, 2015
Washington, DC
Once they removed the Sim tray it changed things. Interestingly, I haven’t gotten any charges for cellular Apple Watches ever.

I got it because I called in to have my watch activated. I originally ordered the Ultra through Verizon and Apple. The Verizon Ultra was stolen so I had to call in and have them remove the stolen Watch off my account and activate the Apple Watch since it was in my possession. This is the only time I couldn’t fight them about the $35 activation fee (which I tried might I add).

Sheepish-Lord

macrumors 68020
Oct 13, 2021
I don't think eSIM has anything to do with this. It applies to SIM-based devices too. I have a friend that got a used/secondhand iPhone 13 a couple months ago. He just put his existing SIM card into the new phone and got hit with the activation fee...because it was a new device on his line/account.
I’ve upgraded every year for the last 5yrs or so, even put my pSIM in other devices just to test them out and all with the same carrier (verizon). Never got hit with any fee…

BigBlur

macrumors 6502a
Jul 9, 2021
What is this "activation fee" even used for though?
I was curious about this myself and did some digging. This is what Verizon says:

For this charge, Verizon gives access to a range of services, tools and personalized support to help ensure your device is set up for a seamless experience on America's most awarded network:​
  • 30 days of personalized tech support for smartphones (60 days if purchased online). Upon activation or upgrade, the line is sent a free Verizon text with a 30 (or 60) day link for personalized support.
  • Provisioning and troubleshooting of a Verizon SIM card.
  • Verizon Smart Setup - Assists in setting up the device, migrating your information, backing up your phone (facilitating content and contact transfer) and helping you process any trade-in.
  • 2-day shipping for online orders or ship from store.

I find this a bit funny for a couple reasons:
  1. They are essentially charging you for support you might need.
  2. It covers the 2-day shipping, but apparently it's still a flat $35 fee regardless if you purchased it from them or not. (Does Verizon ship the phone when you buy from Apple and select Verizon as the carrier?)

DougFNJ

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jan 22, 2008
NJ
I was curious about this myself and did some digging. This is what Verizon says:

For this charge, Verizon gives access to a range of services, tools and personalized support to help ensure your device is set up for a seamless experience on America's most awarded network:​
  • 30 days of personalized tech support for smartphones (60 days if purchased online). Upon activation or upgrade, the line is sent a free Verizon text with a 30 (or 60) day link for personalized support.
  • Provisioning and troubleshooting of a Verizon SIM card.
  • Verizon Smart Setup - Assists in setting up the device, migrating your information, backing up your phone (facilitating content and contact transfer) and helping you process any trade-in.
  • 2-day shipping for online orders or ship from store.

I find this a bit funny for a couple reasons:
  1. They are essentially charging you for support you might need.
  2. It covers the 2-day shipping, but apparently it's still a flat $35 fee regardless if you purchased it from them or not. (Does Verizon ship the phone when you buy from Apple and select Verizon as the carrier?)
Thank you for posting this as it supports what I've been saying all along, the fee is bogus!

Must had been a fun day in the marketing room trying to maximize the justification for charging every new and existing customer with a new phone $35.

30 days of personalized tech support for the phone. Have you ever called with a problem you were having with your iPhone? I typically call Apple, I know more about these phones than Verizon Tech support calls Ive had in the past. BUT, they are likely more helpful for those converting to iPhone from Amazon, or people like my father who were clueless with their phones.

Provisioning and troubleshooting of a SIM card......these are Sim free. When I did have issues with the Sim in the past, they would just give me another card....I'd put the card in the phone, the phone did all the work

I do my own migration with iTunes, and never have the trade in because their great incentive trade in plans spread the trade in incentives over the monthly bill over 3 years. If I upgrade my phone the following year, I confirmed with them I would lose the 2/3 credit for that following 2 years after. BUT, some have no clue on how to migrate that information and would find this very helpful.

2 day shipping included in that "fee"? it's irrelevant.

The bottom line is I stay with Verizon because the areas I work have the best service. I also stay with them because when I did call them, they took care of it plus some. I don't call a lot, but I do find the customer service is good. They had a lot of issues for awhile with long hold times, they have fixed that.

On the flip side, the more people that call and complain about this bogus fee, the more likely they will reimburse, or at some point remove the fee. These services may be good for some, but they are not good for all, I should not have to pay for what really should be provided in good faith as part of the customer service experience. I can receive most of these same bullet point services for free if I needed them purchasing the iPhone direct from Apple which renders these services 100% useless.

Reactions: iHeartsteve

webkit

macrumors 68030
Jan 14, 2021
United States
  1. They are essentially charging you for support you might need

That's kind of how business tends to work. A company will charge you either by rolling the cost into the overall price or as a separate fee, whether you use the feature, service, etc. or not. When you buy a product, you're paying for customer service one way or another whether you use it or not.

compwiz1202

macrumors 604
May 20, 2010
Nah, they won't. Maybe MAYBE they will give a credit for the fee one single time but not every year or whenever you are upgrading your phone. They certainly aren't going to give you 3 times the fee back just because you want to cry about upholding the part of an agreement you agreed to.

My guess? His credit is due to an equipment exchange (pro max to pro, etc) but yea, it's not to keep him happy. Where's the line right?
Retentions sure as heck will if your Lifetime Value is high enough. They may not for a new subscriber. I don't know how long of service or how many lines/features OP has

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.