Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

jntdroid

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Oct 12, 2011
I can't speak to other carriers, and I've experienced this on a 2022 SE, iPhone 13, and iPhone 13 Mini, off and on for the past few months.

The coverage I'm referring to is Verizon's mid-band 5G (not the ultra wideband, and not the basic 5G which is essentially an extension of LTE). I live in a large metroplex with solid mid-band coverage as well.

Sometimes data simply stops working. It shows 5GUW in the status bar, but the phone thinks it has no data connection, because in testing other apps when this happens, they will show "offline" (Google Maps for example). It will come back on its own after a little while, but I can also force it to come back by toggling cell data off then back on.

Has anybody else seen this? It doesn't happen all the time, but I would guess at least a few times a week - and again, on multiple phones. Just curious.

internetrando

macrumors 6502a
Jun 5, 2018
Texas
I have had that happen from time to time. I live in a very large metroplex and I simply chalk it up to congestion.

cthompson94

macrumors 6502a
Jan 10, 2022
SoCal
I also had this happen to me, it started happening (or at least me noticing) while I have been on the iOS 16 dev beta and thought maybe it was that because having issues connecting to the cell network would last for days, fortunately my job has public wifi (which I do not like using public wifi) so the lack my phone not connecting to the network was really only impactful for commutes to work and back

jntdroid

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Oct 12, 2011
I have had that happen from time to time. I live in a very large metroplex and I simply chalk it up to congestion.

This is more like a complete data dropout, though, not just a slowdown (which I'm used to for that very reason) - as if it's not connected at all. Mid-band 5G is supposed to be s boon for congestion as well, but I guess that doesn't guarantee immunity from it.

I normally give these types of issues time, especially with new technology, as I know the carriers are always working on towers, backhaul, etc. But this is going on a few months now. Nothing much I can do about it, I guess. Hopefully it just means they're working on things and they will continue to stabilize.

Edit: I guess it could also be issues with the handoff between LTE, 5G, and 5GUW. Verizon has a pretty bad history of handoff issues when new cellular tech is implemented...

Harthag

macrumors 68000
Jun 20, 2009
U.S.
Happened to me several times while driving downtown of major metro where I live. As recently as last week. I see my phone rapidly cycle between 5G / 5G UW / LTE, and if I'm making a call the call will almost always drop. Have solid signal too. This is with an iPhone 13 Pro. Also happened to me on a Galaxy S22+, even worse. I had to disable 5G using that Samsung signal tuning app (forgot the name off top of my head).

I’ve test-driven and ultimately switched to T-Mobile. I've never seen my phone go off of 5G UC and haven't dropped a call / lost data yet.

Reactions: jntdroid

jntdroid

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Oct 12, 2011
Happened to me several times while driving downtown of major metro where I live. As recently as last week. I see my phone rapidly cycle between 5G / 5G UW / LTE, and if I'm making a call the call will almost always drop. Have solid signal too. This is with an iPhone 13 Pro. Also happened to me on a Galaxy S22+, even worse. I had to disable 5G using that Samsung signal tuning app (forgot the name off top of my head).

I’ve test-driven and ultimately switched to T-Mobile. I've never seen my phone go off of 5G UC and haven't dropped a call / lost data yet.

I’ve been tempted. They’re pushing hard to get Verizon customers so they have some pretty good promos… I just have a hard time giving up Verizon’s coverage once you get outside of populated areas - though admittedly that’s not very often.

oldMacGenius

macrumors member
Feb 7, 2018
San Francisco, CA
I have an iPhone SE 3 on Verizon MVNO Xfinity Mobile. I sort of knew what I was getting myself into when I bought it (for $0) but in San Francisco its usually on LTE. For me, all 5G is pretty nonexistent- either its 5G at LTE speeds or simply LTE.

Luckily the LTE service has improved since the last time I had Verizon Wireless, which is a good thing since the iPhone SE3 has no CDMA.

All the downsides of the Wireless Network aside, I won’t complain. $15/mo unlimited talk/text & 1GB incl. $0/mo handset finance costs. In SF, always a Xfinity Wi-Fi hotspot available in range.

Harthag

macrumors 68000
Jun 20, 2009
U.S.
I’ve been tempted. They’re pushing hard to get Verizon customers so they have some pretty good promos… I just have a hard time giving up Verizon’s coverage once you get outside of populated areas - though admittedly that’s not very often.
You can try their free Test Drive for 30 days using your E-SIM. Not a shill for T-Mobile by any means, but the network is completely different than it was even 1 year ago. Even driving to the boonies for fruit picking, I was surprised to have steady 5G UC. My market was a very strong Sprint market, so bonus since the merger. If you can obtain an Insider code for 20% off for life it brings the Magenta Max plan down to $68 including tax and fees. Couldn't pass that up, we'll see what happens.

whattodo11

macrumors 6502a
Mar 17, 2010
Verizon's 5G has been a talking point since the launch of the 13 pro. When I first got my 13pro I could not even use it in my house lol. There are threads all over the internet and Apple blamed Verizon, Verizon blamed Apple. Never got an answer. I switched to Att and that fixed the issue. Att in my area (Massachusetts) is far superior to V IMO and from my experience.

StaceyMJ86

macrumors demi-goddess
Sep 22, 2015
Washington, DC
I have this issue every now and then. I just toggle airplane mode on and off and that usually fixes the issue. Other than that I haven’t had any issues with coverage. Verizon has been awesome for me.

Reactions: Harthag

jntdroid

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Oct 12, 2011
I've seen this as well on both AT&T and T-Mobile. I think it is a glitch in the Apple radio, a quick toggle of airplane and it will work again.

I have this issue every now and then. I just toggle airplane mode on and off and that usually fixes the issue. Other than that I haven’t had any issues with coverage. Verizon has been awesome for me.

You're correct, this does fix it. I just don't like that it's necessary. Reminds me of the 3G > LTE transition back in what, 2011? It's not as bad as that. Just brings back bad memories... ;)

Reactions: 5105973 and Harthag

JM

macrumors 601
Nov 23, 2014
That might be a bit of a stretch lol

Some growing pains for sure (hopefully), but their overall coverage of LTE is still top notch.
The coverage may be good, but the data speeds are in the toilet: a big stinky crap filled Sprint toilet.

Reactions: max2 and jntdroid

jntdroid

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Oct 12, 2011
The coverage may be good, but the data speeds are in the toilet: a big stinky crap filled Sprint toilet.
Fair point, and definitely true in certain highly populated areas. Midband 5G was supposed to help with congestion. I guess it still could.

Reactions: max2 and JM

max2

macrumors 603
May 31, 2015

I tried Verizon once or twice and was not impressed. :(

Was very sad.

Reactions: JM

compwiz1202

macrumors 604
May 20, 2010
The whole annoying thing is that the advantage of 5G is supposed to be that it supports a lot more concurrent users, but that is a lie. Were at a concert with 5GUW, but things were still not loading or super slow. So whaty was the point of 5G???

jntdroid

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Oct 12, 2011
The whole annoying thing is that the advantage of 5G is supposed to be that it supports a lot more concurrent users, but that is a lie. Were at a concert with 5GUW, but things were still not loading or super slow. So whaty was the point of 5G???

Anecdotally that seems to be the case. Midband was supposed to really open things up for Verizon and so far that hasn't been the case in highly populated areas, where it's really needed. In rural and lower populated areas, their LTE was super fast already... 🤷‍♂️

When my phone switches to 5GUW, it absolutely can be fast, and an improvement. But it's inconsistent, and occasionally just stops working altogether (hence the original post in this thread ;) ). Just inconsistency is one thing, but dropping out completely is problematic.

Reactions: compwiz1202
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.