Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

jntdroid

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Oct 12, 2011
I did an upgrade on my Verizon line, switching from the 13 to 15 Pro. They've been working all afternoon to get it switched. Now they're telling me they're having issues across the board with activating iPhone 15's and it could be up to 48 hours before they have it provisioned and properly synced on their end.

Incredibly frustrating... if it wasn't for the e-sim this would've been done in minutes. Fortunately my 13 is still working.

Anyway, venting aside, is anybody else on Verizon seeing this or being told this?

Reactions: brgjoe and killawat

eloteman187

macrumors newbie
Sep 22, 2023
I did an upgrade on my Verizon line, switching from the 13 to 15 Pro. They've been working all afternoon to get it switched. Now they're telling me they're having issues across the board with activating iPhone 15's and it could be up to 48 hours before they have it provisioned and properly synced on their end.

Incredibly frustrating... if it wasn't for the e-sim this would've been done in minutes. Fortunately my 13 is still working.

Anyway, venting aside, is anybody else on Verizon seeing this or being told this
I created this account to commiserate with you. Also going from a 13 to a 15. Went through activation with the virtual phone assistant. Supposedly was activated. No dice. BOTH PHONES have no service. Have been on a call with a live agent for 30 mins now. They really messed this up.

• Wow
Reactions: killawat

killawat

macrumors 68000
Sep 11, 2014
Same on ATT. I figured they would be busy so I'm not mad, just disappointed. The Apple Store wouldn't sell me the phone unactivated because of their system (won't even generate a receipt) so I can't even ride this out at home. Have to 'troubleshoot' in store. Oh well. It's a wet blanket for sure.

laffnvegas

macrumors 6502
Oct 26, 2014
Desert South West
I also have Verizon but went from a 14 to 15 a small hiccup but nothing to do with my Verizon or number and everything is working fine on the new phone. But I will say the same thing happened last year going from 13 to 14 Sim card to eSim. Same song and dance from Verizon, I called back after being told it could take a few days. I finally got someone that could do something on their end to get my phone up and running. So if not getting the answer you want, call them back. They did the same thing last year, certainly they should know what they are doing a year later.

NotApplicable

macrumors 6502a
Sep 18, 2019
To be honest I'm actually a little concerned with how easy it was for me on Verizon, eSIM to eSIM...

I ordered my 15PM unlocked, with no linkage to my Verizon account. So before I started the setup assistant just now, Verizon had no idea I'd be switching phones today.

Setup assistant got the new phone activated and the old phone deactivated with no issue, no phone calls, no texts, etc.

If I were an attacker, would it have been this easy? I think I have all the security options turned on in my Verizon account. Confused how Verizon verified the new phone was me.

cclarke99

Contributor
Feb 8, 2014
Seattle, WA
Having a heck of a time transferring our eSIMs to our new iPhone 15 Pros on AT&T. What a mess.

Edit: Just got off the phone with a customer support rep who was able to do my device swap in a matter of only a few minutes.

Last edited:
Reactions: killawat

nikster0029

macrumors 6502a
Jul 21, 2010
I upgraded to a 15 pro but unfortunately wanted a max instead. Went to return it and I couldn’t return it. Two hours in the phone and I still couldn’t return it. Verizon kept saying the number was shared and I couldn’t proceed to return an unopened phone.

Hooterville

macrumors 603
Sep 24, 2012
If you purchased your iPhone through Apple and activated it on Verizon did they lock the sim?

kanga1622

macrumors regular
Sep 21, 2016
My husband and both swapped from 12 to 15+ today without issue on our Verizon lines. I was pleasantly surprised.

Apple_Tiger

macrumors 6502a
Jan 23, 2023
Went from 14 pro max to 15 pro max on verizon and no issues here. Transfering back up as I speak.

jntdroid

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Oct 12, 2011
Got it figured, it took 2.5 hours, but the agent had to provision a second esim and it worked. Be nice to them. This isnt on them, its on the infrastructure people.
Definitely. The lady worked hard to get it working for me, but clearly had her hands tied by the system.

34 Volt

macrumors regular
Sep 26, 2013
LA
Went from a physical SIM 13 to the 15 Pro Max (IUP) eSIM on Verizon. Took a few minutes to transfer and activate to eSIM, with no issues at all. Also no issues transferring backup.

Reactions: jntdroid

DDustiNN

macrumors 68020
Jan 27, 2011
To be honest I'm actually a little concerned with how easy it was for me on Verizon, eSIM to eSIM...

I ordered my 15PM unlocked, with no linkage to my Verizon account. So before I started the setup assistant just now, Verizon had no idea I'd be switching phones today.

Setup assistant got the new phone activated and the old phone deactivated with no issue, no phone calls, no texts, etc.

If I were an attacker, would it have been this easy? I think I have all the security options turned on in my Verizon account. Confused how Verizon verified the new phone was me.
I did the same thing, quick and no issues.

A physical SIM would not be any better though. Someone could just take that out and put it in a new phone with zero security, without ever even having to turn your old phone on. At least with eSIM, your phone itself has verified your identity by Face ID / passcode.

Last edited:

NotApplicable

macrumors 6502a
Sep 18, 2019
I did the same thing, quick and no issues.

A physical SIM would not be any better though. Someone could just take that out and put it in a new phone with zero security, without ever even having to turn your old phone on. At least eith eSIM, your phone itself has verified your identity by Face ID / passcode.
For sure, if Verizon can tell that the new phone is biometrically authed to the same person as the old one, that’d be great. That just involves a pretty deep integration with Apple— maybe it’s totally how it works but I’d love to know the details!

DDustiNN

macrumors 68020
Jan 27, 2011
For sure, if Verizon can tell that the new phone is biometrically authed to the same person as the old one, that’d be great. That just involves a pretty deep integration with Apple— maybe it’s totally how it works but I’d love to know the details!
Oh it definitely doesn’t, I just meant security on the phone itself. Verizon doesn’t care what device your number is attached to. I used to swap SIM cards around all the time and it made no difference anywhere. As long as you’re paying for the line, you can connect.

NotApplicable

macrumors 6502a
Sep 18, 2019
Oh it definitely doesn’t, I just meant security on the phone itself. Verizon doesn’t care what device your number is attached to. I used to swap SIM cards around all the time and it made no difference anywhere. As long as you’re paying for the line, you can connect.
Right, I remember the days of just dropping a SIM into a new phone. But in my experience these days all US carriers have some sort of KYC process around activating new device IDs to lines, physical SIM or not… that’s why I’d be surprised if there isn’t more to the story than Verizon just blindly issuing new eSIM to new devices.

At minimum they must rely on some sort of device-level attestation that the new phone is in physical proximity to the old phone, otherwise literally anyone could open a phone and get it registered on your line from anywhere.

Again— Verizon had no advance notice I was purchasing a new phone, I did not have to log into or call Verizon during the process, and input the new IMEI, etc.

So either the old device tells Verizon it’s in proximity to a new device and informs the network it’s going to be transferring to the new one, or the new device gets some token from the old one to register with or something of that nature…

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.