Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

sotorious

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Aug 11, 2010
They have one at the apple store but Verizon only is it possible to go home restore the phone and it be unlocked? i see people have had success with that AT&T. Will it work for Verizon.

I am wanting it to work with T-Mobile.

bumblehat

macrumors regular
Sep 18, 2012
Chicago
They have one at the apple store but Verizon only is it possible to go home restore the phone and it be unlocked? i see people have had success with that AT&T. Will it work for Verizon.

I am wanting it to work with T-Mobile.

I'm not sure I follow your question, but here's my attempt to answer. If you buy a Verizon model iPhone (out of contract), it should be carrier unlocked out of the box. That is, you can plug in another sim and it will work in most places (USA, most of Europe, etc.).

sotorious

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Aug 11, 2010
I'm not sure I follow your question, but here's my attempt to answer. If you buy a Verizon model iPhone (out of contract), it should be carrier unlocked out of the box. That is, you can plug in another sim and it will work in most places (USA, most of Europe, etc.).

that was my question. I have found some verizons left over at an apple store and i want it to use it with t-mobile of course the rep said, its only locked to carrier, but i was wondering if anyone has got one from the apple store (version model) and used it with at&t or t-mobile and it worked.

also to unlock it all you do is just get it and restore it at home?

aggieastrosfan

macrumors member
May 28, 2011
I'm looking to do this exact same thing (buy Verizon phone to use on T-Mobile). My corporate line is with T-Mobile, personal is with Verizon (though my SIM card is in my iPad at the moment for unlimited data). If I ever change jobs, it would be nice to not have to buy another phone!

corys00

macrumors regular
Sep 6, 2011
I bought a Verizon iPhone 5S this morning at Apple thinking it'd be unlocked like the 5 and I could use my T-Mobile sim. The rep and I went to do the setup and the phone wouldn't proceed because it said the SIM wasn't valid. Grabbed the iPhone 5S GSM model that I bought as well (both were at full retail) and popped my SIM and all is well.

They swapped the Verizon iP5S one for an AT&T one and I went along my day

sotorious

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Aug 11, 2010
I bought a Verizon iPhone 5S this morning at Apple thinking it'd be unlocked like the 5 and I could use my T-Mobile sim. The rep and I went to do the setup and the phone wouldn't proceed because it said the SIM wasn't valid. Grabbed the iPhone 5S GSM model that I bought as well (both were at full retail) and popped my SIM and all is well.

So with the AT&T version from the apple store it worked fine on t-mobile?

Fdfan100

macrumors member
Mar 28, 2013

I think you got that error, because you didn't activate it first on a Verizon sim, once it activates on Verizon first, then the phone is unlocked.
I'm currently using a Verizon 5S on T-Mobile.

sotorious

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Aug 11, 2010
I think you got that error, because you didn't activate it first on a Verizon sim, once it activates on Verizon first, then the phone is unlocked.
I'm currently using a Verizon 5S on T-Mobile.

Will they let you do that in the store? to activate it with a verizon sim?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.