Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

gbuc95

macrumors member
Original poster
Sep 22, 2012
Anybody hope that Apple FINALLY makes the Iphone be able to talk and surf on Verizon without using Wifi?

cynics

macrumors G4
Jan 8, 2012
They'd need to modify the radio/antenna to do that like some of the competitions phones are (SVDO).

Although I'd love to see this happen I can almost assure you we won't see it. CDMA is just too small worldwide to make an entirely new iPhone for it.

Diseal3

macrumors 65816
Jun 29, 2008
They'd need to modify the radio/antenna to do that like some of the competitions phones are (SVDO).

Although I'd love to see this happen I can almost assure you we won't see it. CDMA is just too small worldwide to make an entirely new iPhone for it.

SVDO is CDMA technology. If they tweak the antenna design they can do CDMA Voice/LTE Data.

P.S - Nice Glock.

Jades

macrumors 6502
Oct 15, 2012
I doubt it on the 5S.
Would make sense to do the whole redesign of the antenna system on the next major iphone release like the iphone 6 next year.

iPhone 4 and 4S antenna systems were completely different. iPhone 4S, apple introduced a dual antenna design that the 4 didn't have

If this CEO actually uses his head, the same can be accomplished with the 5S

iPhonemaster5S

macrumors 6502
Oct 10, 2011
Colorado
It's defineately possible, they just need to change the antenna design. They changed it in the 4-4S so why not the 5-5S. LTE networks I the U.S have become significantly more widespread so I think its likely.

Intell

macrumors P6
Jan 24, 2010
Inside
iPhone 4 and 4S antenna systems were completely different. iPhone 4S, apple introduced a dual antenna design that the 4 didn't have

Not entirely correct. The CDMA iPhone 4 had a dual design, but it could only receive two streams and transmit one. The iPhone 4S change that to a two transmit ability.

srsub3

macrumors 6502
Mar 10, 2013
NYC
I hope to see a world phone like 4s, I hate to travel and hear "we are sorry but with your iPhone and our prepaid sim you can't get LTE!"

cynics

macrumors G4
Jan 8, 2012
This feature alone would be enough of a push to get the high end new iPhone. I'm constantly on my phone and constantly waiting for emails. Its annoying to say "let me call you back in a minute I need to check my email".

I would switch to a GSM carrier but its a phone supplied by my employer so it is what it is.

I used to use a tablet and a wifi hotspot while in my company vehicle and that worked ok but its a bit of a hassle.

Interstella5555

macrumors 603
Jun 30, 2008
This feature alone would be enough of a push to get the high end new iPhone. I'm constantly on my phone and constantly waiting for emails. Its annoying to say "let me call you back in a minute I need to check my email".

I would switch to a GSM carrier but its a phone supplied by my employer so it is what it is.

I used to use a tablet and a wifi hotspot while in my company vehicle and that worked ok but its a bit of a hassle.

Either I or one of my bosses would have shot me in the face by now if I had to put up with that.

gbuc95

macrumors member
Original poster
Sep 22, 2012
Yeah this was one of the reasons I switched from Verizon to Tmobile.

I am thinking about going to At&t if it doesn't because I don't really care for any android phones that Verizon offers at the moment but I really want to have this ability.

trigf

Suspended
Jun 16, 2009
It's defineately possible, they just need to change the antenna design. They changed it in the 4-4S so why not the 5-5S. LTE networks I the U.S have become significantly more widespread so I think its likely.

Additionally since Sprint is rolling out 800 MHz LTE soon, I would imagine they're asking Apple to include that LTE band in the next iPhone version.

cynics

macrumors G4
Jan 8, 2012
Its not going to matter in a couple years when everything is VoLTE

Yeah, in a couple years. I'd like to see this now. I know the world is predominately GSM but there are still some large CDMA markets out there.

I know we won't see this on the next iPhone but its a nice thing to hope for.

apollo1444

macrumors 65816
Jul 22, 2011
mexico
the iPhone will be able to do it once Verizon releases Voice over LTE (VoLTE or VoIPLTE)

LTE advanced are just higher LTE Speeds

Michael CM1

macrumors 603
Feb 4, 2008
the iPhone will be able to do it once Verizon releases Voice over LTE (VoLTE or VoIPLTE)

LTE advanced are just higher LTE Speeds

1) This so needs to happen, especially if it means better voice quality. Of course when you call all these darn landlines, it means very little.

2) I saw VoLTE and thought you were talking about a cartoon robot made of lions for a second.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.