Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

SPNarwhal

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Apr 22, 2009
illinois
I just got a Verizon iPhone 8 Plus and I'm putting my T-Mobile sim inside of it and it's telling me SIM Not Supported

Aren't all Verizon models unlocked?

chscag

macrumors 601
Feb 17, 2008
Fort Worth, Texas
If you wanted an unlocked iPhone 8+ that works on all networks, why didn't you buy the Apple sim free version? I can't answer your question about the T-Mobile sim not working but when I purchased the sim free version from Apple, my T-Mobile sim worked right away.

jetsam

macrumors 6502a
Jul 28, 2015
I just got a Verizon iPhone 8 Plus and I'm putting my T-Mobile sim inside of it and it's telling me SIM Not Supported

Did you buy this phone brand new from Apple or Verizon? If not, it may be either a) not really a Verizon iPhone, or b) blacklisted as stolen.

Strelok

macrumors 65816
Jun 6, 2017
United States
I believe it has to be activated on Verizon first, although I'm not sure on that. Pretty sure there was a similar thread about this recently.

C DM

macrumors Sandy Bridge
Oct 17, 2011

Where did you get this phone?

Suspended
Mar 15, 2008

*Unlocked for international use.

But if you bought full price through Apple, it should be unlocked for all networks. If through Verizon, either on installment or in full, it will be unlocked for international use but blocks domestic SIM cards.

Strelok

macrumors 65816
Jun 6, 2017
United States

But if you bought full price through Apple, it should be unlocked for all networks. If through Verizon, either on installment or in full, it will be unlocked for international use but blocks domestic SIM cards.

It can't block the GSM portion, that would be illegal. Has nothing to do with international or domestic in this case. The only reason it wouldn't work is if there are payments that are due or some other issue.

Suspended
Mar 15, 2008
It can't block the GSM portion, that would be illegal. Has nothing to do with international or domestic in this case. The only reason it wouldn't work is if there are payments that are due or some other issue.

Would "locked" be a better term for you? The GSM is locked to Verizon only unless you paid for it in full at Apple. If at Verizon, you have to ask them to unlock it once the device is paid off. Not illegal. AT&T & T-Mobile have the same policy. The difference w/ Verizon is that it is always unlocked for international SIM cards.

C DM

macrumors Sandy Bridge
Oct 17, 2011

It's unlocked in general (international and domestic) if purchased from Verizon directly, for full price or installment or anything like that.

SPNarwhal

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Apr 22, 2009
illinois
Found the problem.. they're Verizon Model phones but they're tied to XFinity Mobile. I guess that makes sense since XFinity Mobile uses Verizon towers, but it was sold as a Verizon model.. hm.

Case solved!

P.S: Verizon phones come 100% unlocked. Same as sim-less. Seems like some people are confused about that, but also seems like they already got corrected?

Thank you everyone for the replies. :)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.