Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Kriska

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 30, 2013
Hi all,

This might be answered already somewhere but I just want to be sure that I’m gonna be doing this the right way.

I’m a Verizon customer, not eligible for a upgrade, I currently have a mint condition 4S but want to get a 5S now  How should I approach this?

When looking at Apple.com I can pick up a Verizon 5S pretty close to where I live but is that the right way to do it? Should I go for a off contract Tmobile version? If I go with the TMobile phone how do I get my phone number transferred to a simcard? Just walk into a Verizon store and get a sim?

Additional question. I would like to trade in my current 4S for credit towards the new 5S. How do I approach this?

Chatter

macrumors 6502a
Jun 10, 2013
Uphill from Downtown
Sell your 4S on CL (or other sites) for about $250-$300. Then buy the phone outright for full price and finish out the remainder of your contract. No need to renew as you pay full price. Once that is done, then decide what carrier you want.

Curun

macrumors 6502
Sep 10, 2013
Hi all,

This might be answered already somewhere but I just want to be sure that I’m gonna be doing this the right way.

I’m a Verizon customer, not eligible for a upgrade, I currently have a mint condition 4S but want to get a 5S now  How should I approach this?

When looking at Apple.com I can pick up a Verizon 5S pretty close to where I live but is that the right way to do it? Should I go for a off contract Tmobile version? If I go with the TMobile phone how do I get my phone number transferred to a simcard? Just walk into a Verizon store and get a sim?

Additional question. I would like to trade in my current 4S for credit towards the new 5S. How do I approach this?
The TMobile version of the 5S, to my knowledge, does not support CDMA.

You need a Verizon iPhone 5S to continue using their service.

Kriska

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 30, 2013
The TMobile version of the 5S, to my knowledge, does not support CDMA.

You need a Verizon iPhone 5S to continue using their service.

But I read somewhere that Verizon now offer SIM card for their IP5S?

So the best would be to buy a full price Verizon?

Coleman2010

macrumors 68000
Oct 9, 2010
NYC

The AT&T, Verizon and T-Mobile are all the same model. All support GSM and CDMA. But Verizon will not activate an iPhone purchased for another carrier on it's network. Buy the full priced Verizon version.

KPOM

macrumors P6
Oct 23, 2010

Yes, but it still needs a CDMA radio for voice. They aren't activated on the T-Mobile phone. The short answer is that AT&T and T-Mobile users can use the Verizon iPhone, but Verizon users can't use AT&T or T-Mobile phones on Verizon's network.

Kriska

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 30, 2013
Great. Thank you all. I know what I should be looking at now

Let me add a question. Will I be able to buy the Verizon full price phone from Apple.com for store pick up? I don't see that option

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.